Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
downout
Jul 6, 2009

I think the zeps are mostly fixed. I think the UC/Grom'gol zep sometimes is invisible. I don't know the exact details since I never use that zep, but someone mentioned it a few days ago in chat. For those worried about population, log in and check it out. It's greatly improved since the server has been stable for two months straight. I'm not sure how many ED is boasting at this time, but there has been a steady stream of new levelers to Rebirth for the last month with full raids at 60. Brave New World's post is fairly accurate. The server is amazing, so hopefully as the population increases it will attract even more people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011
For the most part zeppelins work fine on the mac, I've only had issues with it twice, once where I fell into the ocean on my way to org, and another time I got stuck inside of zeppelins floor at Undercity, but for that I just had to make a quick round trip and everything was fine. Overall the whole server is great and all its missing is a few more people to make things even better.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

No donation system on Rebirth?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Absofuckinglutely NOT!

Saw that you posted this in the ED thread too. Trust me, you definitely don't want to play here. There's a shitload of insta-60 servers out there. Look around for one.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Brave New World posted:

Absofuckinglutely NOT!

Saw that you posted this in the ED thread too. Trust me, you definitely don't want to play here. There's a shitload of insta-60 servers out there. Look around for one.

Everyone is a flake on those servers. I love the instant max-level donation option. Everyone's character is either a time or money investment.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
They are a flake for exactly that reason. They didn't put the time in to make the grind, and so they have no loyalty to their characters. Paying for it doesn't give you the same dedication. Hence, extremely high turnover rate.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

dkj posted:

Everyone is a flake on those servers. I love the instant max-level donation option.

That makes you a flake.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
How's BWL guys? It was scheduled to drop a few days back right?

Samej
Apr 25, 2011

A Ponderously Prescient Pachyderm

Tanners posted:

According to the main page, Freaky has family problems and missed the deadline. BWL is on indefinite hold until he or someone else can get around to finishing it.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Tanners posted:

Freaky has been out with pneumonia for the last couple of weeks, so there hasn't been a lot of work on BWL. It probably works out for the best since most people on currently aren't geared enough for BWL. Some are, but many are new 60s and need a couple weeks to start getting some gear.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

A patch went up with a few fixes! It's all listed here: http://www.therebirth.net/Forum/ForumTopic/a0f9a70c-9ff5-48f2-a305-527baa242552

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Played WoW years ago and this makes me want to try again. Are there enough people on this server to keep things lively & interesting? Sort of terrified to install everything and find Rebirth a ghost town.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

It's definitely not a ghost town. The population is lower than some servers, but there has been a steady increase for the last few months. There have been a lot of people leveling recently and plenty of people for the 40-man raids on both factions.

Samej
Apr 25, 2011

Radio Talmudist posted:

Played WoW years ago and this makes me want to try again. Are there enough people on this server to keep things lively & interesting? Sort of terrified to install everything and find Rebirth a ghost town.

Rebirth has had a fairly steady population for quite some time. I can guarantee you there's almost always people online on either side to aid in any respect, and the global channel is fairly reminiscent of the Global LFG channel back in vanilla (except that on Rebirth it's cross-faction).

RustedChainsaw
Mar 13, 2006
Liberal Arts Program/Lightly Toasted Whole Grain Oat Cereal
Want to chime in and say that I've been on both Emerald Dream and The Rebirth and the Rebirth has had little to no bugs. Plus I can't stand playing Alliance!

I played a lot back in '06 and everything is almost exactly the same.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
This looks really awesome, raw nostalgia. But will I be risking my current WoW account if I decide to check this out?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I don't see how that could even be possible. You'd pretty much have to mention private servers on WoW's official forums to get in trouble for it. Just make sure you install the client to a different directory and set the .wtf file correctly.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Set my realmlist and registered my account, but still getting an "the account information you entered is invalid"

Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind! I am an idiot

Med School fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 14, 2013

Samej
Apr 25, 2011

MentholsNBeer posted:

Set my realmlist and registered my account, but still getting an "the account information you entered is invalid"

Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind! I am an idiot

What was your problem anyway? Because now I'm getting the same problem when trying to login to the client.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

I just had to open the realmlist text file and replace whatever was their with the new one like it says in the OP. You also have to go to the rebirth website and actually set up a free account before you can login to the server.

I rolled a troll warrior, Sweatycheeks, by the way.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

MentholsNBeer posted:

I just had to open the realmlist text file and replace whatever was their with the new one like it says in the OP. You also have to go to the rebirth website and actually set up a free account before you can login to the server.

I rolled a troll warrior, Sweatycheeks, by the way.

Thanks for pointing that out. The order in the OP was badly done. I fixed it to hopefully make it a bit better. I also added a link to some Rebirth hosted client downloads for vanilla WoW.

Edit: The front page on the therebirth.net website is down atm, but everything else (including account creation) can be accessed with this link: http://www.therebirth.net/Forum/Forum

borf
Apr 5, 2006
Does anyone know a way to look up my old username/pass by the email I registered with? I can't find any "forgot my XXXX" links on the site, and I can't post/view forums without logging in it seems...

downout
Jul 6, 2009

borf posted:

Does anyone know a way to look up my old username/pass by the email I registered with? I can't find any "forgot my XXXX" links on the site, and I can't post/view forums without logging in it seems...

Is the facebook page an option for your? I've seen several people have some luck with issue resolution. They also don't mind if you make an a new account and linking them later.

BiggerThanPete
Nov 11, 2012

Guys, I'm going in.
So is anyone raiding Horde side?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I had a troll mage in the earlier days of this server, but it seems to have been deleted. Oh well. Just rolled Deathmetal, undead warlock. :rock:

Samej
Apr 25, 2011

Ofecks posted:

I had a troll mage in the earlier days of this server, but it seems to have been deleted. Oh well. Just rolled Deathmetal, undead warlock. :rock:

Does Freaky actually delete old characters? Because I still have my older account (I played on for 1 day) as of 3 minutes ago. You may be able to petition a GM about restoration if you're interested.

Viyerkoichv
Aug 4, 2009

BiggerThanPete posted:

So is anyone raiding Horde side?

Yes, the guild Hate on Horde clears MC/Ony/World Bosses and ZG every week.

I just started a rogue on there... I'm excited to get lvl cap as fast as possible to join them!

You should too!

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Soooooo, I'm not in the facebook group anymore. Any update on the supposed dissapearance of this server and Freaky?

dipiddy
May 13, 2010

McSpankWich posted:

Soooooo, I'm not in the facebook group anymore. Any update on the supposed dissapearance of this server and Freaky?

I haven't been following whats been going on since all the DDoS stuff but checked in from time to time. Did the whole website/dns get moved or what?

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

I played occasionally on The Rebirth and know some people who played regularly. Server and website went down a few days ago now. As far as I know nobody has heard from Freaky and he has been having personal problems lately. My guess is that it's over :(

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

So this just got posted on a youtube video I made for rebirth a long time ago.

quote:

As some of you may know, The Rebirth is going through a transition period. You could say “knocked down, but not beaten”. Blizzard has extended their long arm of the law, and because of specifics about the way we operated, was able to get injunction orders shutting down our website, game servers, and even to the extent of forcing me to surrender all my personal computers and digital equipment for “investigation”. because the belief in it exists still, by myself and others.

This will now turn into a legal battle, that I and my attorneys will fight, probably for the next 2 or 3 years. We will attempt to prove that we didn’t infringe on Blizzards intellectual property, that our server did not impact their subscriptions, and that we had no wrong doing in our operation. We have a few sticky points that are going to bite me, I already know they will, but hopefully nothing we can’t make legal arguments for or against.

If you’ve noticed that I’ve vanished from the Facebook groups, other social media sites, other gaming sites…etc., it’s very deliberate, to protect myself, my family, and the members of those groups and organizations from undue and undeserved investigations as the legal investigation goes into full spin.

Blizzards influence outside the United States gets thin, and laws in other countries about copyright change considerably, it’s how HUGE servers operate without the fear of Blizzards wrath. Had I been smarter, and kept our hosting outside the U.S, or had I seen this coming earlier and transferred ownership to someone else, the outcome may be different, but as it sits I was a prime target. Living, operating, and administrating the server entirely from within the U.S.

Welp poor guy.

Vier fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 5, 2013

Wendell
May 11, 2003

drat, I feel pretty bad for that guy.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Well, time to save up for a nice computer and buy that battle chest!

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Well, it's great to finally hear from freaky, as was posted above. Here is some more to the post:

quote:

I’m aware that many of you are questioning the validity or motives behind my actions. I can only urge you to understand what I and my family are going through at the moment, and keep your conspiracy theories to a minimum. Without understanding all the details, you can never understand the whole of the situation. You can however look past your own doubts and understand that what I’m going through now, and the legal battles, expenses, and stresses we face now are a product of running a free server for all of you. A free server that will continue to operate, because the belief in it exists still, by myself and others.

So: I said knocked down, but not beaten. The Rebirth will be back, in fact I think it will be coming back online today, just as if you’d never left it. The technology is the same, the infrastructure is comparable, and your experience should be mostly unchanged. Many of you know Muggle, many of you have mixed feelings about her. To those that praise her, I welcome you to cheer on her attention to the server through this mess as she is the one bringing it back online. To those naysayers, I implore you to take another look. Regardless of your personal feelings, she is championing this server back online through her own hard work, expense, sleepless nights and stress levels. The Rebirth will be back because of her.

In closing: I know The Rebirth will live on, and live long. It’s ideals and values are unchanged, and the same core principles that started the server will be carried on in its continued operation. The Rebirth has always operated and existed BECAUSE and FOR its players…and it always will.

dipiddy
May 13, 2010
Wow. Besides the fact that he was in the US, it sounds like Rebirth was a little too close to the real thing or am I reading too much into what he said?

I wish Blizz would just create a 1.12 server already. Charge me an extra 2 bucks, I don't care.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

dipiddy posted:

Wow. Besides the fact that he was in the US, it sounds like Rebirth was a little too close to the real thing or am I reading too much into what he said?

I wish Blizz would just create a 1.12 server already. Charge me an extra 2 bucks, I don't care.

I'd rather they didn't and left people like Freaky the gently caress alone.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
How is the state of PvP on Rebirth? Are BGs in? Are they full of players?

Basically, my buddy and I just want to play a bunch of vanilla Alterac Valley.

SmockJoc fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 30, 2013

downout
Jul 6, 2009

SmockJoc posted:

How is the state of PvP on Rebirth? Are BGs in? Are they full of players?

Basically, my buddy and I just want to play a bunch of vanilla Alterac Valley.

You won't see much AV on Rebirth. The population is just too low.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Silly question but is this a straight up patch 1.12.1 with bug fixes or are there changes made to classes and combat systems like balances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n00n3r
Jun 18, 2012
pretty much a straight 1:1 match, in fact it's the exact client with just a server address change. The only difference I can remember is that the Auction Houses are linked globally.

• Locked thread