Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I told my friends they could play OUYA with me if they brought their own controller.

When I told them the control was $50 they told me to gently caress off. What's with this OUYA persecution we all face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Uncle Jam posted:

I told my friends they could play OUYA with me if they brought their own controller.

When I told them the control was $50 they told me to gently caress off. What's with this OUYA persecution we all face?

"If you want to make enemies, try and change things." - J C Denton.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Uncle Jam posted:

You can aways play with f1av0r's friend.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzjhNQoGUdI

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
:getin: "No budget for an artist? gently caress it. CHROME SHADERS ON EVERYTHING!"

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Wow, so graphics. I am eager about this Oya, folks.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

angerbot posted:

Wow, so graphics. I am eager about this Oya, folks.

The GOYA, featuring Mean Bean Machine as its launch title

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

MinibarMatchman posted:

The GOYA, featuring Mean Bean Machine as its launch title

Almost there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILd12TIYSVA

I think we are going to get a very angry call from an Amiga 500 wishing to get its game back.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Hav posted:

To be fair, that's probably there to give them some column inches, because I'd hate to see their fragmentation within five years, and no doubt someone in marketing is going to point out that this isn't a phone, despite phone-like qualities.

My favorite part about the OUYA is that I could go buy a cable and a bluetooth controller and use them with my current phone, so I'll have an OUYA with more features for like $60 at most.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

limaCAT posted:

Almost there.

I think we are going to get a very angry call from an Amiga 500 wishing to get its game back.

This is actually precisely the type of game you don't want to do on a bigscreen, this poo poo is better off for portables. The DS had a huge selection of puzzle games like Puzzle League, Meteos, and the Tetris DS collection. Puzzle games are cool and all but it's the kind of genre you really want to pick up and take with you on the train for some quick rounds.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Pirate Jet posted:

My favorite part about the OUYA is that I could go buy a cable and a bluetooth controller and use them with my current phone, so I'll have an OUYA with more features for like $60 at most.
... and your "OUYA" automatically updates itself, as if by magic, as you naturally update your cellphone. AMAZING.

Also, since it hasn't been posted yet: Please just get a GameDock if you are considering an OUYA as anything more than an XBMC box.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 9, 2013

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Shalinor posted:

... and your "OUYA" automatically updates itself, as if by magic, as you naturally update your cellphone. AMAZING.

Also, since it hasn't been posted yet: Please just get a GameDock if you are considering an OUYA as anything more than an XBMC box.

I'm halfway interested in this if I can get something other those god awful "retro" orginal SNES style controllers.

ChaoticKitten
Dec 3, 2012

Go, go, Fumiko fireball!
I think the biggest thing the OUYA has to offer is in the 4 player capability. It opens a new door for Android development and brings a little of that "couch" gameplay back.

I have an OUYA Dev kit, and it's pretty nice in it's current state.
The controllers will be getting redone to some extent, but what I have feels sturdy and fits my hands well (I'm a girl, but I have man hands), and has already survived a few falls. The things that aren't so great about it are the D-pad on the left, and the triggers, which feel a bit off. From what I have heard both those things are getting replaced for the final version though.

The OUYA console itself feels solid, and the controllers interface with it flawlessly so far.

The software is still in the works and is still a little choppy, but we can already play games, and use a bunch of apps(we can watch netflix etc), the video quality is excellent too.

We haven't gotten our game Legend of Dungeon running on it yet because it's not ready to port over, but from what I can tell, it's going to be a great way to play games, and a great opportunity for indies to make console style games.

There are a lot of things that could go wrong, and I have no idea if they will take off, but I am hopeful. At the very least, OUYA spawned a new corner of the market in a sense.

In my opinion of course.

Depressing Drawers
Dec 17, 2004
UR ALREADY DED
Someone posted this in the kickstarter thread in GBS, and I'm inclined to agree:

Buy a mini android PC (like this one I guess here and a cheap rear end controller. Hook it up to a TV. You now have a device to play games on that is cheaper and less retarded than an OUYA. You're welcome.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Pirate Jet posted:

This is reasonable, but you have to take these things in account:

1) OUYA's "extensions" should be in any case part of the android ecosystem (this should be easy, unless they did some sheanigans to support multiple controller with multiple touch screens)
2) OUYA's titles can be either sideloaded as normal android .apks on your phone, or OUYA releases their store for other devices (like what Amazon does with its mobile store, and what was originally planned for Playstation Mobile even if this only for "certified platforms").
3) OUYA's titles are programmed to respect phone screens and the like. (this still requires testing on behalf of the game developers, you know, you don't want to see a game with icons and text thought for a 42" TV on a 7" screen...).

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

ChaoticKitten posted:

We haven't gotten our game Legend of Dungeon running on it yet because it's not ready to port over, but from what I can tell, it's going to be a great way to play games, and a great opportunity for indies to make console style games.

I'm only familiar with the Xbox Live Indie Games but that was an opportunity for Indies to make console style games, albeit on a console with a much large install base. The biggest failing of XLIG however is that good games were swamped by poor quality imitators and a general lack of curation by Microsoft.

Given that Ouya have made a point of saying they will only provide minimal curation of their proprietary marketplace, what advantages do they offer indie console developers?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

How is there a sequel to Platform Masters when the original is still in development??

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f92t-Th1__g

CoD killer inbound.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What the gently caress is going on with the sky?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Rudager posted:

I'm halfway interested in this if I can get something other those god awful "retro" orginal SNES style controllers.
That was my #1 feedback to them. I was hoping they'd at least do SNES style. NES controllers are cute and all, but they lack buttons and cut into the hands horribly.

Supposedly, a range of controllers are planned, out to supporting the entirety of the iCade button standard (ie. at least as many buttons as a SNES controller), assuming the device does halfway decently. The 2-button model was just their first run controller.
I love how he keeps trying to make flashy jumps onto geometry, but the player physics keep glitching out. Way to show off your own game, woo hoo.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 9, 2013

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I know someone who says that there's no difference between buying a $500 'mainstream' console that'll last 5 years and buying a brand new $100 Ouya every year.

I might need new friends.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Shalinor posted:

I love how he keeps trying to make flashy jumps onto geometry, but the player physics keep glitching out. Way to show off your own game, woo hoo.

It's like he's trying really hard to emulate the play style and music choice of what you might see on some horribly stupid "pro" FPS video, except he appears to be playing with approximately two other people/bots who seem to be staying as stationary and predictable as possible while simultaneously missing every shot. :allears:

I'm not tech savvy in regards to the Ouya and similar machines, but can it really do something like this, as in an alright looking fully 3D FPS? It touts it as "Ouya" gameplay but then says it's running in a browser. Based off of all the other poo poo that people are showing off I would have guessed it has horsepower about on par with a Nintendo 64.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I'm not tech savvy in regards to the Ouya and similar machines, but can it really do something like this, as in an alright looking fully 3D FPS? It touts it as "Ouya" gameplay but then says it's running in a browser. Based off of all the other poo poo that people are showing off I would have guessed it has horsepower about on par with a Nintendo 64.
Google "shadow gun tegra3". It's capable of some surprisingly not-bad graphics - it's just that most phones and tablets these days are also capable of that or more, and you probably already own one. Well, that, and that the cross section between "developers with the skill to push console-level graphics on mobile hardware" and "developers that care about OUYA" is about the width of a human hair.

I have absolutely no doubt that some very good indie games will pop up on OUYA. Some might even push the hardware. But they'll also pop up on mobiles or PC/Mac, with those other versions being the non-ports.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 9, 2013

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh look it's noted Sky Expert and Weatherman Shimrra Jamaane, no wait, it's some idiot who doesn't even know about the Sky Hexagons sorry it's an easy mistake to make!

Please if we can keep all discussion about this cellphone positive! People have worked hard on it. It may not show but I suspect they have pride in their work and it's rude to insult them.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

The running animation looks like it was stolen from the lead singer of Candlemass.

http://youtu.be/-3uvf0cn0jo

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

limaCAT posted:

Almost there.

OUYA: Featuring the best games the mid-1990s have to offer.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Come on man it's pretty clearly supposed to be some future dome poo poo jeez

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think it's maybe some kind of geodesic combat arena thing? Hence also the sky billboards...?

My favorite part of the demo, beyond the repeated failed jumps onto the same piece of geometry, and beyond even the astonishingly awful art design (there is absolutely no unifying aesthetic), is the way the guy giving the demo doesn't switch weapons until nearly halfway through the video. I was honestly certain that it was a one-weapon FPS until he pulled out the lovely SMG and the... wooden sword? That shows up for all of 5 frames.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ChaoticKitten posted:

I think the biggest thing the OUYA has to offer is in the 4 player capability. It opens a new door for Android development and brings a little of that "couch" gameplay back.

Yeah, it's a shame that none of the current-gen consoles have 4-player capability or splitscreen multiplayer, I miss that "couch" gameplay too.

Well, it's offensive all right, you can't call 'em a liar on that one.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 10, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

limaCAT posted:

Almost there.

gently caress you Ouya wishes it had 1/10000000th the amazing games Amiga 500 had. :colbert:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sigma-X posted:

If that controller works on the PC for $50 a dual analog controller with a touchpad seems like a pretty good controller, definitely a viable alternative to a wired 360 controller.

And $100 for a home theater PC (assuming XBMC or something similar winds up on it) also seems pretty awesome.

It seems pretty likely at this point that it will exist as an actual physical product, so I still don't see why there is so much goonrage. It's being hyped as some sort of Xbox-Killer moreso than it really is, but if you compare it to a Raspberry Pi or something it seems pretty reasonable.

e:I believe the name is pronounced as if you were the Kool-Aid man.

The controller is missing some buttons due to having the touchpad and the touchpad can't be very good.

If you want an Android based home theater PC then you just get ones for $30-$60 depending on the performance you need off the internet.

It's only reasonable compared to the Raspberry PI because the RPi is an extremely underpowered device and frnakly not very good even if it is $35. For just $9 more than an RPi you could get http://dx.com/p/android-4-0-mini-pc-google-tv-player-w-wifi-allwinner-a10-cortex-a8-tf-hdmi-white-4gb-137012

Sigma-X posted:

I think the hardware itself is interesting, and their desire to make it open and hackable means that it actually has potential to be a useful living room device. a $100 box with a wireless controller and all the power of my cellphone seems like more than enough to be a netflix/youtube/twitch.tv box. Rokus sell, and they aren't as functional, near as I can tell.

The hardware itself is pretty not good for the price and it's only as open and hackable as every other android device out there. The controller has serious issues being used with regular games and apps due to its design so it's more of a liability than a benefit.

Even if you were for some reason to limit yourself to "things that were on kickstarter", then this basically kicks the Ouya's rear end http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872297630/gamestick-the-most-portable-tv-games-console-ever

That's a repackage of one of the standard android mini htpc things around, but you don't have to buy it from China and the controller is included and matched to it.

ChaoticKitten
Dec 3, 2012

Go, go, Fumiko fireball!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I'm only familiar with the Xbox Live Indie Games but that was an opportunity for Indies to make console style games, albeit on a console with a much large install base. The biggest failing of XLIG however is that good games were swamped by poor quality imitators and a general lack of curation by Microsoft.

Given that Ouya have made a point of saying they will only provide minimal curation of their proprietary marketplace, what advantages do they offer indie console developers?

I think the biggest thing that they can screw up is the marketplace. It's a huge part of the quality of the console. Right now there wont be a major issue with low quality games, because the Dev. kits were $800, and only serious developers would shell out that much. Once the OUYA hits the masses though, my guess is that it's going to get bad.

Hopefully they will respond to peoples feedback, so if the market ends up being crap(which minimal curation will most likely lead to), they will fix it. They have already shown that they listen to feedback so they have that going for them at least.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

keyframe posted:

gently caress you Ouya wishes it had 1/10000000th the amazing games Amiga 500 had. :colbert:
The important question is "will the OUYA have the amazing chiptune + 3D graphics warez group intros the Amiga had?"

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

ChaoticKitten posted:

I think the biggest thing that they can screw up is the marketplace. It's a huge part of the quality of the console. Right now there wont be a major issue with low quality games, because the Dev. kits were $800, and only serious developers would shell out that much. Once the OUYA hits the masses though, my guess is that it's going to get bad.

Hopefully they will respond to peoples feedback, so if the market ends up being crap(which minimal curation will most likely lead to), they will fix it. They have already shown that they listen to feedback so they have that going for them at least.

Wont a the considerable outlay for a devkit combined with a tiny install base encourage developers to chase the lowest common denominator and thus put out low cost eyecatching shovelware, minecraft imitators and the like? Further, while $800 is a lot of money, given the Ouya received a tremendous amount of donations and media attention is it not reasonable to assume some non-serious developers who hoped to ride the hype train to riches also bought dev-kits?

Given the Ouya store is the only way Ouya can make a profit do you think people's feedback will matter as much as chasing immediate profit? Minecraft clones sold extremely well on XBLIG for instance.

Finally aren't you worried about developing for a console that specifically advertised itself as hackable?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I thought the ouya was a crock of poo poo for anything beyond a cheap XMBC device for the less technical. But after seeing the leaked / planned specs for both of the new xbox & PS consoles... Well, I still think Ouya is a crock of poo poo, but the console based on tablet hardware isn't completely crazy.

The next real consoles are going to be based around a chip that's designed for laptops, ultraportables, and little mini-box PCs. That type of chip will be showing up in tablets before 2015. The choice to use something off the shelf* for their consoles is (I think) an indication that neither are sure the console will even exist as an independent device after this generation.

*They have some alterations to what will be a laptop-bound Jaguar CPU, but not much. And importantly it's a licensed x86 chip not owned by MS or Sony, so they can't manufacture them cheaply themselves.

Wandering Knitter posted:

I know someone who says that there's no difference between buying a $500 'mainstream' console that'll last 5 years and buying a brand new $100 Ouya every year.
The Playstation and Xbox N+1 aren't going to cost $500 at launch. Maybe the pimped version will be that much, but the basic models will be $400. The competitive pressure isn't just between the 3 console makers this year, they also need to worry about external threats (phones, tablets, and valve doing something to bring pc gaming supremacy to the living room). If both launch above $450 they will get destroyed.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Klyith posted:

I thought the ouya was a crock of poo poo for anything beyond a cheap XMBC device for the less technical. But after seeing the leaked / planned specs for both of the new xbox & PS consoles... Well, I still think Ouya is a crock of poo poo, but the console based on tablet hardware isn't completely crazy.

The next real consoles are going to be based around a chip that's designed for laptops, ultraportables, and little mini-box PCs. That type of chip will be showing up in tablets before 2015. The choice to use something off the shelf* for their consoles is (I think) an indication that neither are sure the console will even exist as an independent device after this generation.
Got a source for any of this? It kinda sounds like bullshit.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

The important question is "will the OUYA have the amazing chiptune + 3D graphics warez group intros the Amiga had?"

Color me skeptical too, using as-yet-unnamed mobile CPUs in console hardware sounds like a level of retarded reserved only for the Ouya.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 10, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Funny story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqhpDnMmfTs

... that isn't an OUYA launch title, and was made in a few weeks as a gag for #1GAM (there's a chicken piledriver at 0:33).

I'm pretty sure you could list that in with the other OUYA videos, and no one would be the wiser.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 10, 2013

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ChaoticKitten posted:

Can we please clear up the fact that there are no "dev-kit" OUYA's, what they're marketing as a dev-kit is nothing but a bunch of units from the first production run with a tiny fan on it. There is literally nothing that separates them from a regular OUYA, but the people who signed up for one have never done any real console development so have no idea what a real dev-kit is.

And low quality games won't be an issue? Look at the things people are linking in this thread, there's no shortage of lovely games being developed (even without "dev kits"). There's a few diamonds in the rough, but there's an overwhelming number of lovely rip-off's.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Wont a the considerable outlay for a devkit combined with a tiny install base encourage developers to chase the lowest common denominator and thus put out low cost eyecatching shovelware, minecraft imitators and the like? Further, while $800 is a lot of money, given the Ouya received a tremendous amount of donations and media attention is it not reasonable to assume some non-serious developers who hoped to ride the hype train to riches also bought dev-kits?

Except, see point above, the dev-kits aren't really dev-kits. And $800 shouldn't be a huge outlay for someone seriously developing a game(s).

Rudager fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 10, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm pretty sure this is a joke. I genuinely can't see someone being serious about this, due to the Kazoo music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

raditts posted:

Color me skeptical too, using as-yet-unnamed mobile CPUs in console hardware sounds like a level of retarded reserved only for the Ouya.
Nothing beyond rumors, but the PS4 one has good details. The dev consoles are out there, this it the time that leaks are going to be getting accurate.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-orbis-unmasked-what-to-expect-from-next-gen-console
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-next-gen-xbox-specs-leak
AMD has said to investors that it expects console stuff to make up a significant part of it's revenue next year, so it's semi-confirmed that they're providing chips for consoles. (Not that they'll make much profit, the margins will be almost zero. But it'll keep the GlobalFounderies production lines from shutting down. AMD was in a baaaad place this year.)

It makes a lot of sense. Designing their own poo poo was nice the last generation, but Sony took a bath on theirs. And it's been proven that even if you throw a ton of money at the best engineering you can get, your hardware is going to be antiquated after 5-6 years. And Jaguar is an evolution of Bobcat, a proven CPU that had good performance for it's niche of inexpensive lightweight laptops, so it's not a complete unknown.

• Locked thread