Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Star Citizen on OUYA would have been loving magical to watch. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Enallyniv posted:

No I haven't played it. It doesn't look enjoyable.

Amazing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

raditts posted:

Do you even get to fight the dragon at any point in the game?

yeah, you do it gives you cancer

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

Star Citizen on OUYA would have been loving magical to watch. :munch:

At least the Ouya failing doesnt require an actual suicide watch for the entire fanbase.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i remember the n-gage

an employee who worked on it told me he was the one that made it look like a goatse

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Suspicious Dish posted:

i remember the n-gage

an employee who worked on it told me he was the one that made it look like a goatse

I had never noticed that until now, and holy poo poo it even has the ring :eyepop:

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
How does side talkin' even come close to a mans distended butthole?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hu Fa Ted posted:

How does side talkin' even come close to a mans distended butthole?

GIS it dude.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A few months back, the Giant Bomb guys did an improptu livestream on Facebook while cleaning/moving their office to another floor, and they found a bunch of N-Gage poo poo and groused about covering that platform for Gamespot a bunch. Apparently Nokia would send them multiple copies of each game (they had at least five sealed copies of Puyo Pop!) "just so you guys have everything you need", and only one broken piece of screen capture hardware so they couldn't actually take screenshots or video. That stuff starts at 18:30.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

i remember the n-gage

This makes me almost vaguely want an N-Gage now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Hey guys it's James Coote o'clock!

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/JamesCoote/20160125/264204/An_OUYA_Story.php

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

quote:

In the summer of 2012, I was down the pub after an Android meetup

And it starts with an "urgh". Also amazingly ends the piece talking about how much he's learnt, as he does console ports to the Wii U.

(I miss my Wii U).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

quote:

Those that came after it, the FireTV's and AppleTV's of this world, probably would have happened anyway, but undoubtedly the makers of those took a long hard look at the OUYA to see what practical and technical lessons it could teach.

AppleTV has been around since 2007, James.

Geographica
Jun 1, 2010
Slight oversight; James identifies three reasons that the Ouya failed. Not one of them is that it was an absolutely awful and not at all attractive consumer product.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Hey look, there's an entire section dedicated to "the hate", a vague, dismissive term used as a free pass to do justify doing stupid things without being criticised.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dex posted:

time to (small) crate

Can't believe this didn't get more love.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Judging by the games that JAC has on the Wii U I wouldn't exactly say he's found his path.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

"You could argue that the OUYA was a bit before its time," if you had no sense of pattern recognition

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh my god. :munch:

quote:

Playstation 4 was announced with much fanfare just a month or so before the OUYA was due to be delivered to the bulk of those who backed it at the reward $100 tier. PS4 was everything that OUYA wasn't. Big, powerful, shiny and polished. This was the real deal, was what gamers, tired of the ageing previous generation really wanted. More of the same, but faster, better looking, and with all the mod-cons: Friends lists, leaderboards and video sharing etc.

PS4 and later Xbox One's appearances also reignited the age-old console wars, and OUYA was a convenient target to which both sides could be unified in deriding.

Yes James, the OUYA would have succeeded if the PS4 and XBone didn't exist. It would've done well against the PS3, X360, Wii, WiiU, PSP, Vita and 3DS :allears:.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
If there's one thing the Ouya opened the door for it's microconsoles. A market segment no one gives a poo poo about. You can tell by how this article is written that he's still in love with the Ouya. He tries to attribute it's failures with outside forces and how no one understands.

He seems to have this idea in his head that the Ouya made Sony, MS, and Nintendo more indie friendly. Sorry bub that stuff was already happening.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

averox posted:

If there's one thing the Ouya opened the door for it's microconsoles. A market segment no one gives a poo poo about. You can tell by how this article is written that he's still in love with the Ouya. He tries to attribute it's failures with outside forces and how no one understands.

He seems to have this idea in his head that the Ouya made Sony, MS, and Nintendo more indie friendly. Sorry bub that stuff was already happening.

They didn't even take notice until the Ouya booth squatting in the E3 parking lot blocked their spots.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
No, don't you all not understand?! If all the other consoles out there didn't exist, the OUYA would have been a shoe-in for success! I think we're all looking at this wrong.

Am I remembering wrong that when the OUYA was first pitched, it was pitched also as an all in one emulation box for the 16-bit era and back? I swear that was one of it's major selling points and then at some point in it's early marketing all of that just vanished under the veneer of Indie games.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bel Monte posted:

No, don't you all not understand?! If all the other consoles out there didn't exist, the OUYA would have been a shoe-in for success! I think we're all looking at this wrong.

Am I remembering wrong that when the OUYA was first pitched, it was pitched also as an all in one emulation box for the 16-bit era and back? I swear that was one of it's major selling points and then at some point in it's early marketing all of that just vanished under the veneer of Indie games.

Yeah, they realized that was hilariously illegal and couldn't ever fly if they intended selling it on the mass market, lest they get sued to hell. Even then, it still wouldn't have carved the OUYA a niche, because if you're the type of person who's interested in emulation, you're already sitting at the best emulator at the market. Even if you're looking into portable emulation, you'll be hacking a PSP or getting one of the many MANY better portable emulators.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Ouya was hideously overpowered for 16 bit emulation anyway, a RPi can do it fine.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Suspicious Dish posted:

n-gage

look like a goatse

:aaa: holy poo poo

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Quote-Unquote posted:

:aaa: holy poo poo

Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
James Coote's dad sounds like a cool guy.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

PS4 and later Xbox One's appearances also reignited the age-old console wars, and OUYA was a convenient target to which both sides could be unified in deriding.
I certainly remember all those interviews Larry Hryb and Kaz did together where they did nothing but poo poo on OUYA. Hell, even Gabe and Reggie showed up for a few of them.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I'm very sure Ouya failed because people were mean to it on the Internet, and not because it barely cost less than the phone in your pocket, ran the same operating system but had a proprietary store and couldn't access Google Play, was already weaker than it, and its functions could be replicated by a cable that's $15 on Monoprice.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm very sure Ouya failed because people were mean to it on the Internet, and not because it barely cost less than the phone in your pocket, ran the same operating system but had a proprietary store and couldn't access Google Play, was already weaker than it, and its functions could be replicated by a cable that's $15 on Monoprice.

Those poor multimillion dollar marketing campaigns don't stand a chance against underhanded internet guerilla tactics from random people who say mean things.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh my god. :munch:

Yes James, the OUYA would have succeeded if the PS4 and XBone didn't exist. It would've done well against the PS3, X360, Wii, WiiU, PSP, Vita and 3DS :allears:.

Hey. The OUYA was half as successful as the original PlayStation, man.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Half as powerful seems more likely.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think that was some fighting words point brought up by Xbox Pants. Some weird poo poo about how it sold so many units which was half the amount of the Playstation at launch and the Playstation became a juggernaut so naturally the Ouya will become a juggernaut.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Geographica posted:

Slight oversight; James identifies three reasons that the Ouya failed. Not one of them is that it was an absolutely awful and not at all attractive consumer product.

Hey now, he totally does.

quote:

1). Gamers weren't expecting an MVP - Look at the history of video games consoles. It's only really in the last couple of generations that consoles have been online, and liable to get occasional updates and patches. Before that, and still to this day, consoles and games are judged as they are found on day 1, and that perception sticks for the lifetime of the product. They don't magically get better after you've bought them.

Most consumers looked at the OUYA, especially in marked contrast to the PS4, and decided "this looks a bit lovely". And that was that. End of story, as far as that consumer was concerned. When it first started turning up in the wild, the interface was nowhere near complete. It was being tested and tweaked and underwent a number of major revisions in the months after release.

You could argue that OUYA was a bit before its time, and that gamers are slowly getting more used to the idea of games and platforms as services, rather than products. Or equally, you could argue OUYA simply misread their audience. Either way, once they started getting 3/10 reviews, there was little hope of coming back from that.

Admittedly, he takes the strange tack of arguing that releasing a bad product is bad because gamers aren't 'used to' the idea of buying bad products, rather than good products, or that OUYA misread their audience and perhaps thought they were interested in bad products rather than good products, but he does admit that the OUYA was a piece of poo poo not fit for primetime.

Even though he probably hasn't noticed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
"Gamers weren't expecting an MVP"

This is a man who does not understand that that acronym means Minimum VIABLE Product

If your core market looks at it and says "this is poo poo" then it isn't viable

Qed bitches

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

You could argue that OUYA was a bit before its time
No you couldn't. At all.

quote:

and that gamers are slowly getting more used to the idea of games and platforms as services, rather than products
"I have literally never heard of Steam."

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Prop Wash posted:

"You could argue that the OUYA was a bit before its time," if you had no sense of pattern recognition

It was actually ahead of its time, in that it proved that you could scam an unbelievable number of nerds with more money than sense via crowdfunding.

It built the platform for Star Citizen's success(ful scam).

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=195124020&postcount=372

:laffo: This thing just keeps on giving.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
What a magical twist... it's honestly amazing how this thread continues to outlive the Ouya itself. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
From the Retro Gaming thread, the Chameleon guys posted photos of a new prototype board, prompting a startling revelation:

TheRedEye posted:

This Coleco Chameleon thing is just getting better and better:

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/704506008513581056
Then, oddly enough, the photos were removed from Facebook...

• Locked thread