Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

angerbot posted:

What number do I dial on my phone for the oooyeah

dial s for poo poo heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Someone needs to make a small wireless streaming box that can pipe out h264 compressed video from a source like a computer to a TV. Basically what that Nvidia shield thing is but not in a dumb handheld thing. Who cares about some dumb android console.

I mean, not that I hate the ouya or anything, if there's any decent games I'll probably get one, but doesn't seem very likely at the moment. But it's cheap so whatever.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Can it stream from your PC or just idevices or whatever? I might actually buy an apple thing if so.

coffeetable posted:

I think we missed an important point when we were discussing who in the hell would make software for OUYA: computer game developers are by and large exactly the kind of idiot nerd that would consider the OUYA a good idea.

It's a games console, if game companies are 'dumb enough' to think it's a good idea, doesn't it actually become a good idea? The only thing that matters is the games, and if it gets good games then who cares if the idea behind it isn't exactly robust.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 9, 2013

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

What I really want to know is why xboxpants cares so much. I mean, $100 android console. Might be poo poo, might be cool, who knows? Why be so invested?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

This is literally 'xbox pants trying to get the last word: the thread'

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I can't help but think that if Mario were a modern franchise based on 2D platforming and they went 3D platforming ala Mario 64 there'd be legions of fanboys going IT'S NOT MARIO, THEY RUINED MARIO. The reaction to Metal Gear Rising made me want to punch a whole lot of people.

I hope they do something really goddamn cool with the next Mario. Galaxy owned.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Isn't this just the natural conclusion of the BOOYA obsessed shill(or any obsessed shill, really)? Make some crappy news site, spam your links everywhere and whatnot? The kickstarter is just the icing on the cake.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Just make like the British media and argue it's in the public interest.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I was just thinking, it's probably really god drat easy to buy an xbox 360 for $100 these days and the backlog of games is gigantic, plus it's super easy to buy games for only a few bucks. I really, really hope everyone that has pre-ordered an ouya owns at least one dedicated gaming console or PC because jesus christ for the life of me I can't figure who this thing is for.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I bought my PS3 for 150 dollars, NEW, thanks to a gamestop coupon about two years ago. My brother got a 360 for free with his computer. It's super easy to get consoles for cheap these days, so even the "cheap" aspect of the YEYO isn't that impressive, considering how much more you can get for just a bit of extra money. And I dunno about you, but I'd rather play an old AAA game I got for ten bucks used than something that looks like it was made for a computer programming class.

I think it's an attempt to cash in on the big money that's been coming up in casual/phone games, but it ignores the fact that the market for those expanded when smartphones became common. People already had the phone and bought some games for it, where the YABBADABBODOO expects you to be the kind of person who would buy a phone specifically to play games on.

Well yeah, the thing people need to remember is that the KLANG{SDFN{AN{F isn't that cheap in the grand scheme of things. The capability of the system, plus the types of games it's getting, AND the size of the catalogue, it quickly becomes apparent just how much of a waste of money it is. The argument that it can be an emulator machine or a media device is stupid since my PS3 does all of that.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

If you're lucky enough to have a custom firmware system like me you can enjoy PS+, a whole bunch of emulators and the extended media functionality of showtime(homebrew media player). It's pretty great.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I jumped on the emulation bandwagon quite early on with the PS3, you need at the most 3.56 version of firmware to get custom firmware, but if you can find an old enough model it's just a case of downloading the custom firmware and installing it off a USB.

The range of functionality and options for a homebrew enabled PS3 is pretty great. I dunno about the 360, never really tried to hack it. Ever since the recent custom firmware breakthrough my PS3 is on loving constantly.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Nah, that's just that guy. He's a hugely annoying loud douchebag.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

If something as small as big picture (HEH) ruins your business model, perhaps it didn't exist to begin with.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

There was a time where I wondered if developers would take on the retro aesthetic with early 3D games in a similar way to how many developers do faux 8 and 16bit, but surprise! It turns out to be the worst thing ever.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Left2die? Are loving making GBS threads ME!?

Somebody needs to find something about the Ouya that isn't total poo poo. Not because I care about the Ouya or anything, but even a lovely terrible console has something decent every now and then, right?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gschmidl posted:

That looks pretty decent graphically for a game from 1993. Watch out, Infinity Blade!

To be fair to the guy it's 2 1/2 weeks of work on what is probably a pretty difficult sort of game to make. It's the loving Sistine Chapel compared to what we've seen on the Ouya so far.

Once he starts implementing gameplay features and optimising the graphics code it might not actually be a giant pile of hot garbage. It's also just a lazy mech warrior clone so who gives a poo poo.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Haha jesus christ, I thought the reason was gonna be "It's the sample game you idiot" but nope, even more ineptitude.

You know what, I just had a thought. So Uhrman was originally a direct2drive executive or something, right? She abandoned that job to fulfil her dreams of "bringing good games back to the TV" (UGHHHH) with her loving lovely little console, but I don't think that was the actual motive. She probably saw that digital distribution is a license to print money if it's popular enough and decided to create her own store. It's a crowded market at the moment, right? Steam creates a lot of value and it's hard to beat. You can't compete with google or apple as well, so what do you do? You find a niche (android gaming with a controller) and build a store around filling that niche.

It's just a vehicle for another digital distribution method so she can print buckets of cash. I don't think it actually will in reality, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the entire impetus for the console existing in the first place.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

01011001 posted:

This is kind of what Xboxpants was saying at one point before he got off on one of his idiot smug kicks and got shouted down. The difference is he thought it would work (it won't).

The fact her stupid plan required designing and manufacturing a console to pull it off means it won't work. Digital distribution is a profitable business when you don't have to worry about the overheads of making an entirely new console.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

You could play The Cave on a bunch of The Televisions. 4 The Televisions at once, even, considering that's how many versions that are able to be played on The Television.

What shits me off about Ron Gilbert is the fact he makes this terrible puzzle platformer filled with archaic design decisions, tedious backtracking (Hey, run back and forth, but you have to do it with 3 characters each time! Smashing) and completely unfunny writing, then just bails when it flops. Schafer basically lent him his studio to make a dumb passion project then he's all I'M OUT when it was done. I don't know why it offended me so much, but after the Deathspank games that guy is just a total hack in my eyes. I'm sure there's more to it than I'm inferring but whatever, Ron Gilbert sucks.

But whatever, the BABABOUYA is bringing great games back to The Television. Like The Cave.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

There's probably some poor search engine optimisation monkey plinking away at that twitter account trying desperately to internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

ReV VAdAUL posted:

If things go as expected on the 28th I submit the thread be renamed "Ouya: suddenly nothing happened" (shamelessly stolen from the Auspol thread in D&D).

Noice weather today mate.

• Locked thread