Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Have you ever thought of finance jobs at tech companies? Specifically senior financial analyst or finance manager roles. I start as an SFA (having never worked in FP&A) at AWS in a couple weeks, and finance at tech companies seem to lean much more into the data analyst side of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Mustang posted:

Have you ever thought of finance jobs at tech companies? Specifically senior financial analyst or finance manager roles. I start as an SFA (having never worked in FP&A) at AWS in a couple weeks, and finance at tech companies seem to lean much more into the data analyst side of things.

Oh, good idea! I haven't specifically looked at that yet, but I live in the Seattle area so that would definitely be worth pursuing.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Only thing I'd add is that from looking at the LinkedIn profiles of other big tech finance folks, it seems the big tech companies typically down-level people if it's their first role in tech. Like senior finance managers from a finance firm coming in as a finance manager, or a finance manager coming in as an SFA.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
When is a contract position worth considering? I've been approached by a couple of recruiters for 6-8 month contract roles that very sound interesting, but at the same time the idea of leaving my role (where I'm well regarded and have a decent amount of job security) for something with a definite end-date feels a bit daunting.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

dpkg chopra posted:

When is a contract position worth considering? I've been approached by a couple of recruiters for 6-8 month contract roles that very sound interesting, but at the same time the idea of leaving my role (where I'm well regarded and have a decent amount of job security) for something with a definite end-date feels a bit daunting.

what multiple of your salaried hourly is the contract role paying?

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

dpkg chopra posted:

In tech I get these contract offers fairly often and there’s practically no scenario in which I’d leave my salaried position for a single digit multiplier of my hourly wage. The only scenario I would even consider it is if said contract was enough money in the contract to be equal to 2 or more years at my current salary during the duration of the contract and paid for something desirable like top secret government clearance. Beyond that not worth leaving my steady tech job. Maybe if things got really bad at my job and I was looking for an immediate exit strategy.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I feel like contract work like that is good when you're trying to establish yourself in an industry but cause burn out and can be limiting if you're trying to secure a more leadership oriented path. So kind of a thing for people young in their career, imo.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are people who like doing contract work because it doesn't tie them to a specific company, but honestly if you don't immediately come up with that on your own you're probably not one of them.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

My Uncle decided to do contract engineering work in the 90’s and 00’s and his method was akin to “I’m going to work for a year, then take 3-6 months off to work on my model train hobby and travel to <exotic locale>, then spend 3-6 months looking for my next contract opportunity”

So I think OP above who said something like 200%+ multiple of you current yearly salary feels like a decent gauge.

E: \/\/ Benefits is a good point…My Uncle had a wife who carried the insurance during his times off! I’m sure the calculus is a bit harder if you need to pay COBRA or pick up a marketplace plan every time.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 25, 2024

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
All of the contract roles I've seen advertised recently have paid, essentially, the same hourly wage I am on - but without the benefit of annual or sick leave, all casual!

It's an obscenity cos I'd actually be happy to consider contract work but financially there seems to be no benefit

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have a short call today so we’ll see.

Like a month ago I might have considered if the pay was at least somewhat better (once you factor in taxes and overhead) and the role was a good way to get experience and connections at an interesting company.

But now the situation at my spouse’s company has become too unstable right now to risk both of us having no health insurance if she gets fired.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
There's all kinds of contract roles and you need to be clear about what it is - is this a staffing company doing placements and you get a W-2, is this a defined term W-2 role, is this a 1099 role for a defined scope of work, etc. People just say "contract role" and that can mean many different things depending on the situation.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah my assumption here is W-2 on a fixed term, which won't have tax implications necessarily. For pay on those I typically see more entry level stuff being the same pay (but you benefit from experience and probably a lower bar of entry) but for higher end jobs or should have higher pay. If not I'd only take that if I was getting somewhat desperate.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Might be too specific for this thread but wanted to get a gut check on a situation.

Recently had a reorg in my company, my separate business subunit (50ish people, highly specific R&D) got absorbed back into the main company with the "assurance" that our work is continuing.

I'm an individual contributor that fits in well with another group and my manager (director level) and I were merged into that other engineering group. I bring some new skills and experience so I'm not worried about being made redundant anymore than I have been.

Last week I found out that I'm moving under an individual that's a level above me (e.g. senior engineer 2 vs. my senior engineer 1), that reports to the director of that group. My former manager is now working alongside my skip-level boss without any reports.

My new manager has a similar education but ~3 years less experience post graduation.

Initially I was pretty pissed about all of this and felt like I was getting buried, been in this role for about 1.5 years and felt like my promotion potential just got flushed. Since we were so siloed from the main organization, nobody really has any idea what sort of work was accomplished so I'm pushing to bring that forward ASAP.

Any thoughts? Not much out there job wise but I did rage apply to a position the day I learned about the change. I assume my new manager may be title swapped to the "management track" sometime in the future but nothing has really been brought up about this.

This person could be a rockstar and everything will be fine but could use some tips on how to make sure I don't get buried and stagnate in my role.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mr Newsman posted:

Since we were so siloed from the main organization, nobody really has any idea what sort of work was accomplished so I'm pushing to bring that forward ASAP.

This is what really jumps out at me. You're doing the right thing by building awareness of what your group's been doing recently. I wouldn't start applying for new jobs seriously just yet based on what you've posted but having an up-to-date resume never hurts.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Yeah, I did update it and actually sent it around to the new people above me. It was sort of requested by one person in that reporting line anyways.

I wasn't that concerned until chatting with a different former manager of mine who got pretty grumpy about it. Kneejerk reaction was that it felt like getting demoted in a way.

Obviously there are opportunities here. Sucks that it feels like a new job again though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

There's so many moving parts, really hard to say. I wouldn't rage too much about the title of the person you report to, these things change fast and it doesn't necessarily limit you at all. The fact that your former manager is losing his reports means getting a new manager is probably for the best.

Senior 1 to Senior 2 usually takes more than 2 years, when do you think you're actually up for a promotion?

How many people report to your new guy?

Honestly I'd say keep an open mind and don't rage or have a lovely attitude and see how things shake out. If you get the bad vibes bail. It sounds like these re-orgs are bigger than you so if you're getting squeezed you won't change things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Lockback posted:

The fact that your former manager is losing his reports means getting a new manager is probably for the best.

Senior 1 to Senior 2 usually takes more than 2 years, when do you think you're actually up for a promotion?

How many people report to your new guy?

Honestly I'd say keep an open mind and don't rage or have a lovely attitude and see how things shake out. If you get the bad vibes bail.

Yeah it was just me and him in the former business subunit, hiring freezes meant no additional headcount and then work wasn't really materializing outside of the projects I was handling.

I think he is mostly on his way out anyway so it was going to happen regardless from what I've been observing. I assumed I was going to report to my new skip-level if there was a change.

Not sure re: promotion. This position was a lateral move for more money so I probably have 3-4ish years in this sort of role. I think it'd be straightforward to get a bump by jumping.

My new manager has one current report and has been managing them for a year-ish from what I can see.

Definitely keeping an open mind. Appreciate the comments. Bit blindsided by the decision to place me where I am but like you said, just need to see how it shakes out.