Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

corkskroo posted:

Don't be anxious. I've gone through this a couple times. You can never really assume you're a shoe-in since that's foolish but if you were suggested to apply then they might have the position in mind for you. Even if they don't and it's wide open (or they have someone else in mind for it) putting in a good performance now will help down the road. Treat it like a real interview. You have a shared vocab with the interviewers because they know the work but try to find some ways to surprise them with aspects of your work that they don't know or impacts you've made that they haven't seen. Have you solved a problem in a way that was too technical to bubble up to management? Find a way to break that down for them in the interview so you get the credit you deserved.

Also, when they ask for examples of something that went wrong or something you could improve, have a great example ready of something that wasn't perfect but also provide the steps you took to solve it for the future to make sure it never happens again. Introspection is a good thing.

And don't be cutthroat. I know that every workplace is different but I talked up a coworker in an interview for a job that we were both going for rather than try to make myself out to be better than them. I don't know if that will always work but in my case I could see that the interviewer was surprised and impressed with the "humility." (I was just being honest and trying to not be a backstabber but the reaction I got told me it was not the expected answer.)

This is excellent advice.

Couple that humility by knowing your business stone cold. Have examples ready to go for work that you have done or are doing that is at the III level. Demonstrate that you know it inside and out and have the skills and competencies to excel at that role (if it is different from a II).

If you are nervous, try role playing with someone. Make them act like the interviewer and give them questions you are likely to be asked, and see how you do. Nothing wrong with a little practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

This is excellent advice.

Couple that humility by knowing your business stone cold. Have examples ready to go for work that you have done or are doing that is at the III level. Demonstrate that you know it inside and out and have the skills and competencies to excel at that role (if it is different from a II).

If you are nervous, try role playing with someone. Make them act like the interviewer and give them questions you are likely to be asked, and see how you do. Nothing wrong with a little practice.
Thanks to both of you for the quick replies and sound advice.

Is there a best practice for handling references in a situation like this? I assume I want to provide some internal references that are outside of my team/direct vicinity. I can dig up some 'attaboy' emails, or I can approach some people at the office tomorrow and ask them for a reference? I might be over thinking it.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Did they ask for references? I don't think I was asked. You could check with HR if it's appropriate. You might be overthinking. Assuming you guys do performance reviews or whatever they might just use those.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I'm really conflicted right now about what to do and I'd really appreciate your guys' advice. I just graduated with my BA in Econ, applied to a analyst position at a bank in the same town where my college was and got an offer. The thing is, I don't really want to go back to that town and live there again. It's a small town with not much to do--it's ok when you're in college and there are a bunch of other people your age, but I'd be the youngest person at the bank by about a decade and none of my friends are going to be living there either. I'm afraid of becoming socially isolated and lonely. I'd much rather find a job in a big city on one of the coasts where there are tons of other young people and where I'll at least already have a few friends.

On the other hand, after constantly hearing for the last four years about how lovely the economy is and how jobs are so hard to come by, I'm tempted to just take what I can get. Who knows when I'll be able to even get another interview? Maybe I should just count myself lucky that I even got an offer and seize the opportunity.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Has anybody else been in a similar situation?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
If you don't take the offer, what are you going to do?

Fake edit: the way I see it, experience is always vital and its easier to leverage that experience into finding another job later than looking for one as a fresh grad.

If you find that the social life truly sucks, it'll be easier to move after 6 months or a year.

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 7, 2013

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ragingsheep posted:

Fake edit: the way I see it, experience is always vital and its easier to leverage that experience into finding another job later than looking for one as a fresh grad.

If you find that the social life truly sucks, it'll be easier to move after 6 months or a year.

This is absolutely true. Job hunting with a year or two of experience is radically different from job hunting fresh out of school.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
take the job and use your shut-in lifestyle to save money and really focus on doing the best job you can at work. Learn to be comfortable with yourself internally instead of being defined by your location or friends or whatever else(not a knock on you, just that most people ARE dependent on that stuff and never know it). Maybe do a hobby you've wanted to try for a while but could never really get into due to social obligations.

Then move in two years.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I think I am in need of some advice.

I graduated college in 2012 with my BFA in Fibers/Textiles and immediately went to work in an unrelated field that I have lots of experience in but don't particularly like very much. It's starting to take it's toll on me and I've been looking at other positions related to my degree, but there's nothing in the area I'm in (Boston). I've been thinking of packing up and going to parts unknown - basically, other parts of the US for work. I found a LOT of positions I'd like to apply to in NYC, which I'm familiar with as I grew up in NJ, but I've also started looking along the west coast and have found a position or two that interests me. The thing is, I've never left the east coast before. I'd be basically applying for a job and hoping to move there without actually ever going to the place.

I did this before for college - I basically moved to Boston only having been here once before for a weekend to actually see the school. But a career is different in that I could be there for 5 years or 25 years for all I know. I'm not sure if this is really a good idea. I don't really want to relocate but if it's what I have to do, I'll do it. I know other people have done this before. Any regrets? Happy about it? Suggestions?

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
So I think this is the appropriate thread for this. I need some advice on how to negotiate a raise.

I work for a very small (<10) environmental consulting firm. There are only two of us in this office (my boss and I). I started three months ago making 40k/year and I'm up for a three month review. Things have been going well and my boss is constantly saying how screwed he would be if I left, how he's grooming me for a very high position, etc.

I will also be moving soon to a very, very expensive part of NJ and I definitely need a raise to stay comfortable. How should I go about asking for more money? How much could I get away with? I was thinking about a bump to 45k would be reasonable.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

marsisol posted:

So I think this is the appropriate thread for this. I need some advice on how to negotiate a raise.

I work for a very small (<10) environmental consulting firm. There are only two of us in this office (my boss and I). I started three months ago making 40k/year and I'm up for a three month review. Things have been going well and my boss is constantly saying how screwed he would be if I left, how he's grooming me for a very high position, etc.

I will also be moving soon to a very, very expensive part of NJ and I definitely need a raise to stay comfortable. How should I go about asking for more money? How much could I get away with? I was thinking about a bump to 45k would be reasonable.
How much is your cost of living going to change? If it's more than 12.5% then you might want to ask for more.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

Shnooks posted:

I graduated college in 2012 with my BFA in Fibers/Textiles and immediately went to work in an unrelated field that I have lots of experience in but don't particularly like very much. It's starting to take it's toll on me and I've been looking at other positions related to my degree, but there's nothing in the area I'm in (Boston). I've been thinking of packing up and going to parts unknown - basically, other parts of the US for work. I found a LOT of positions I'd like to apply to in NYC, which I'm familiar with as I grew up in NJ, but I've also started looking along the west coast and have found a position or two that interests me. The thing is, I've never left the east coast before. I'd be basically applying for a job and hoping to move there without actually ever going to the place.

I did this before for college - I basically moved to Boston only having been here once before for a weekend to actually see the school. But a career is different in that I could be there for 5 years or 25 years for all I know. I'm not sure if this is really a good idea. I don't really want to relocate but if it's what I have to do, I'll do it. I know other people have done this before. Any regrets? Happy about it? Suggestions?

I don't have any experience in your industry but unless you have a sizable nest egg to sit on while you look for a job on the west coast this seems pretty tricky. I am trying to relocate out west and I keep getting tripped up in the application process by... the interviews I can't complete. I'm going to save up 6 month's rent/expenses, bite the bullet, and move without a job. That's what I'm going to do, I'm not sure how appealing that sounds to you.

If you were looking to work in NYC, it looks like you'd be able to arrange to interview there and secure employment without any gaps in your work history. And, if there are more competitors for employees, that's probably a stronger job market for you which should translate to better wages throughout your time there. But, again, I have no experience in your industry. From the way you laid it out moving out west sounds risky for you.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

marsisol posted:

Are you moving of your own volition or are you moving for work related reasons?

Because if it is your own decision nobody is going to give you a raise just so you can move to somewhere with higher rent. Your rent isn't their problem (unless they are asking you to move to somewhere with a higher rent than your current location, in which case it is totally reasonable for you to expect them to give you a raise to cover it).

Instead ask yourself how much value you bring in to the consulting firm. Your ability to make him more money than he could without you around is what determines how much your boss is willing to pay you. If he really does think you're a long term part of the company then you should have a good argument that you bring more than $40k in excess value.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 17, 2013

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Shnooks posted:

If you're young AND have enough savings, you can try out moving to another coast. If not, I;d say find a friend and crash with them for a while and use their address on resumes while you find a job. Get a quick job to land on your feet (working in a restaurant, or any other place where hiring goes quickly), and then see if you like it. Best way to get a job is to have a job, after all.

No matter what you do, have a backup plan. If you don't like it, you don't want to be stuck. Know what you'll do if it works out AND if it doesn't, whether it's because you don't find a job you like or you end up hating the weather/earthquakes.

Or, if you can find it, find a job at a place in Boston that has a branch in CA and see if you'd get a transfer. If they don't, take the money you save and move; if they do, then free quick way to move to sunny CA :)

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot

marsisol posted:

Don't use your move to justify your raise. Research the real-world salaries people in your area/field are demanding and ask for that. If environmental consultants in NJ average $70k a year, ask for that. If your boss doesn't give it to you, negotiate to the maximum he'll pay and look for employment elsewhere in the meantime.

Early-career professionals seem to get caught in this low-wage trap, but they should job hop until they get above-market wages. It's easy to find replacement-level employees, but at the professional level it's *very hard* to find good ones, so you have to demand what you're worth.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I feel like I've made a bunch of horrible choices. I graduated in 2005 with a MA in English (not my native language). My original plan was to become a translator or technical writer, and I had a summer trainee position as a tech writer that turned into part-time work during the school year. But then I applied for a job at a small company that was importing products related to one of my hobbies. I got the job - essentially marketing, event organizing and eventually some social media stuff. The pay was terrible but I enjoyed the work, and they were always flexible about my hobby (which often involves travel) and my studies. When I graduated, I got a substantial raise. By the time I wanted to move on, the job market was pretty bad, I wasn't a fresh graduate anymore, and my tech writing experience wasn't recent. So I stayed until they were forced to let me go (they lost a deal they had with one of the product manufacturers). I've been unemployed for a few months now, and I don't know what to do - there simply aren't any jobs in the same "field" unless I want to move to another country (not something I want to consider since my husband has a great job that he loves), it seems like the marketing/social media jobs go to people with an education in marketing, and the translation/tech writing jobs go to people with more experience in that field, or recent graduates.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

yoyomama posted:

More advice

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I would move after I land a position. There's no way in hell I'd move before I had a job lined up.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Shnooks posted:

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I would move after I land a position. There's no way in hell I'd move before I had a job lined up.

But the move has nothing to do with anything. The raise should be based on your performance and based on what the industry supports for your work. You can live in a fur house or a cardboard box and that your business, not your boss'. Make the case based on professional factors, not personal ones. Do you have any research into the salary range for your work?

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

corkskroo posted:

But the move has nothing to do with anything. The raise should be based on your performance and based on what the industry supports for your work. You can live in a fur house or a cardboard box and that your business, not your boss'. Make the case based on professional factors, not personal ones. Do you have any research into the salary range for your work?

Wrong guy

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm in a flex program that allows night time clases.

http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2013/06/what_inspiring_leaders_do.html

HBR posted:

What do top executives want from their leaders? IBM recently asked this question of 1,700 CEOs in 64 countries. The three leadership traits that most mattered were the ability to focus intensely on customer needs, the ability to collaborate with colleagues — and the ability to inspire.

Our own extensive 360° feedback data, which we've gathered from just under 50,000 leaders who have been assessed by approximately a half-million colleagues, strongly confirms the importance of inspiring leadership. Of the 16 leadership competencies we most frequently measure, it is clearly the one that stands out. In our data, the ability to inspire creates the highest levels of employee engagement and commitment. It is what most powerfully separates the most effective leaders from the average and least-effective leaders. And it is the factor most subordinates identify when asked what they would most like to have in their leader.

Other things we identified were somewhat less specific and less tangible. These inspirational leaders were more adept at making emotional connections with their subordinates, for instance. They were better at establishing a clear vision. They were more effective in their communication and willing to spend more time communicating. They were ardent champions of change. They were perceived as effective role models within the organization.

Our data send a clear message: In this case, more is more. That is, the more of these behaviors a leader exhibited, the more inspirational that leader is perceived to be.

Although merely 3% took the expert approach, perhaps more surprising is that only 12% went the enthusiast route. Each approach was equally effective, our data indicate, but leaders who were able to master multiple approaches did significantly increase their effectiveness.

Learning to be Inspirational. Finally, we turned our attention to the question of whether leaders could learn to become more inspiring. To find out we did another study of 882 executives from data collected over the last three years, who were measured on the 16 different competencies and encouraged to focus efforts on improving one of them. Focusing on the 310 who chose to improve their ability to inspire others we found that as a group they made impressive strides — moving from the 42nd percentile (that is, below average) to the 70th percentile. This is a statistically significant positive gain, and compelling evidence that when leaders use the right approach they can learn to become more inspiring.

In other words, with awareness, good feedback, and a plan of development, leaders are able to improve this most important of all leadership competencies.

Inspiring others is a comparative advantage of mine and I'd like to research more. Does anybody have any text recommendations? I'm tempted to read a bunch of biographies of successful inspirational people. My initial thoughts on inspiring others:

1. Be competent at your own duties.
2. Build Rapport with those you wish to inspire.
3. Maintain Positive and Energetic aura.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Does anybody have any text recommendations?

Primal Leadership by Goleman, McKee, et al

Robert E Lee on Leadership by Crocker

First Break All the Rules, by Buckingham and Coffman

Primal Leadership is probably the best of the bunch for your research area, since it covers emotional intelligence extremely well.

First Break All the Rules should be required reading for anyone who works with other people. Seriously.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ninja double post for content:

I got promoted to senior manager :toot:

This means I keep my existing team as well as get a new manager and his team as a second line manager. Developing this new guy, who just got promoted to manager, should be a lot of fun.

Now I just need to start being a visible leader to other managers as well and hopefully get tapped for a directorship when one becomes available perhaps when the poles have finished melting

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Ninja double post for content:

I got promoted to senior manager :toot:

This means I keep my existing team as well as get a new manager and his team as a second line manager. Developing this new guy, who just got promoted to manager, should be a lot of fun.

Now I just need to start being a visible leader to other managers as well and hopefully get tapped for a directorship when one becomes available perhaps when the poles have finished melting

Congratulations! That's awesome and I'm very happy for you! Honestly the vibe from this thread is that you're really on top of your game, I suspect there are many more managerial positions in the future.

And thanks for the book recommendations! I knew "First Break All the Rules" was a worthwhile text from reading this thread and the other look great.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I am not sure if this quite belongs here, but I figured it wasn't big enough to warrant a thread.

It occurred to me today after I was called about a position I applied for and offered a call center job for them that paid half as much.

I am thoroughly, completely and utterly burned out on call center work. I am tired of phones and it is affecting my health. I don't want to be a big baby about it, but it is slowly eating away at me. I'm tired of people wishing death on me and am completely burned out on service.

Unfortunately, I have several years of call center experience.

I've been using functional resumes and trying to emphasize transferable skills, but is there any other advice for escaping call center work? I don't want to be a lifer in a call center.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Aerofallosov posted:

I am not sure if this quite belongs here, but I figured it wasn't big enough to warrant a thread.

It occurred to me today after I was called about a position I applied for and offered a call center job for them that paid half as much.

I am thoroughly, completely and utterly burned out on call center work. I am tired of phones and it is affecting my health. I don't want to be a big baby about it, but it is slowly eating away at me. I'm tired of people wishing death on me and am completely burned out on service.

Unfortunately, I have several years of call center experience.

I've been using functional resumes and trying to emphasize transferable skills, but is there any other advice for escaping call center work? I don't want to be a lifer in a call center.

You should be able to get lots of advice here. Call center work is pretty broad. Does your experience cover any specific industry? Do you do customer service or technical support or data entry or take orders?

Depending on the industry or the type of calls, you may have options. Too many for us to give advice without some direction from you.

If it is a worst case scenario, no industry and you and just entering data like a robot, some context about your work environment would be useful. There are strategies for dealing with a repetitive workplace that can help you get through while you work on your exit.

Worst worst case: be the best call taker in the history of call centers. Study it like it is a pro sport and master the game. Figure out every trick and technique in the book. Then go run a call center someplace else if they don't give give you the one where you are now.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Well. I've done support as a tech support for DSL and a school campus (windows, SAP, academic software, Banner). I also did support as a managed services help desk person and we worked with Siebel, some oracle, AT&T inventory management and a few other things. I know I've been working at going into an entry level biology job since I am only a few credits short of an Aquatic Biology degree.

Right now, it's just repetitive, I'm tired of phones on the whole (my voice is shot anymore) and I wouldn't even mind a quiet data entry or administrative position for the time being.

Kirex
Mar 20, 2012
This thread has some great advice, thank you all!
I hope you all find your true passion and end up being super happy with your life - I really do.

Though I need a bit of consulting at the moment since I have no idea if this is something worth risking for and make sure I don't jeopardize anything.

Look for the bold text if you don't feel like reading some kid whining about his job.

I finished school a year ago, I was happy and exhausted from all the pressure I had gotten and started focusing on my creative side (drawing and all that jazz).
I did the things I enjoyed to do and talked to a lot of neat people and finally managed to stabilize my happiness.
I was happy!

Then I recently turned 18 (adult life woah!) and instantly got pushed into having a job (retail to be specific) - "Okay" I thought, "Nothing big. I can handle it for sure! At least keep my family happy about it."
But after working after a month or two I noticed something going downhill.
I'm not happy.

I started getting depressed, I would forget about things I'd usually remember, get extremely exhausted and would have no time for my hobbies and even if I did I would drop my pen because of aching pains in my wrist from all the work.
No way was this going to be the number one reason on why I shouldn't be helping customers with a smile and wishing them a good day. Hell, there shouldn't even be a single reason to begin with.
"No way in hell" I thought.

Though I really wanted to quit my job after hearing from two different people from two different countries that they're getting paid a lot better by just working at a flower shop and have less physical labor, working days and hours.
Boy did I feel like someone was twisting my guts after that (and I still do). Hell, I thought I should move out of here and work outside of my country or even live there. And honestly that really seems a lot better than what I'm currently experiencing right now.

I agreed with my boss to work for few weeks before quitting. (They don't have a lot of people working on my section and I hate to leave anyone hanging all of the sudden even though they said I can quit whenever I want.)

What I'm asking is
Is it really a good idea to move to a different country, or even temporarily, for just a measly job like a flower shop?
Because, honestly, getting paid 2 or even 1 euro per hour (because of taxes) while your friend casually mentions he gets paid 6 euros per hour and has half workdays and hours compared to mine - sounds like heaven to me.
Or should I just look for a different job? Because well, y'know, family and all.

Really sorry if I posted in the wrong thread and for all this drama in advance.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!

ultrafilter posted:

This is absolutely true. Job hunting with a year or two of experience is radically different from job hunting fresh out of school.

I'm glad for this bit of validation. I told my parents I wanted to buckle down for a year with this entry-level writing job I scored, but all I got for it was raised eyebrows. Three months into this job, they were pushing me to look for another. Well, screw 'em; I'm sick of my Swiss cheese resume. Damned old folks make no sense sometimes.

Now, the one year mark is coming up in November, and I would really like to transplant myself to a new city sometime afterward. I currently live in New Hampshire, but I'd like to move to the Portland or Seattle areas to get a taste of another part of the country. Is applying to jobs in faraway cities any different from applying within driving distance? How can I get my foot in the door and meet people in cities I've never visited? Are Skype and phone calls acceptable mediums for job interviews? Etc.

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 25, 2013

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Aerofallosov posted:

Well. I've done support as a tech support for DSL and a school campus (windows, SAP, academic software, Banner). I also did support as a managed services help desk person and we worked with Siebel, some oracle, AT&T inventory management and a few other things. I know I've been working at going into an entry level biology job since I am only a few credits short of an Aquatic Biology degree.

Right now, it's just repetitive, I'm tired of phones on the whole (my voice is shot anymore) and I wouldn't even mind a quiet data entry or administrative position for the time being.

Look for help desk, IT support, technician kind of jobs. Ideally look for something that is field support, at least you would get to go to different offices (or areas of offices) rather than just being on the phone. You might need to take a help desk job with a company to prove you are competent before they let you in the field, but consider that path. You have lots of skills that translate directly into that kind of job. Heck, I got my start doing help desk work for a university that that has lead to a very rewarding career.

Kirex posted:

What I'm asking is
Is it really a good idea to move to a different country, or even temporarily, for just a measly job like a flower shop?
Research immigration and work laws and figure out the VISA situation for whatever country you want to go to with no money and no support structure. Few places will just let you show up and work legally. In the short term, to steal from our E/N brethren: loving sever
Get a new job

Raimundus posted:

Now, the one year mark is coming up in November, and I would really like to transplant myself to a new city sometime afterward. I currently live in New Hampshire, but I'd like to move to the Portland or Seattle areas to get a taste of another part of the country. Is applying to jobs in faraway cities any different from applying within driving distance? How can I get my foot in the door and meet people in cities I've never visited? Are Skype and phone calls acceptable mediums for job interviews? Etc.

The Pacific Northwest in general, Oregoon in particular, is a very hard market to break into. Unless you have a particular skill that can get you in at a particular company hiring that skill, expect to send a lot of resumes and take a lot of phone screens before you fly out (hopefully on their dime) for interviews in person. I don't know what it is about the PNW, maybe they just really don't like outsiders. The only people I know who have transitioned successfully are ones who have relocated for an existing job they already had, for a company who wanted them to do that job in Oregon or Seattle. I have known many people follow their dreams to move there only burn through savings and have to leave. YMMV

If I were in your position, I would assemble a 'target list' of companies in (city) that could possibly use someone with your special and unique skills. There are plenty of online ways to research companies. Once you have the general list, check out the website for each of them and get a sense if they are hiring, and if they are for what sorts of jobs. Even if a position isn't open that suits you, you need to know who is hiring.
Then its a numbers game. Get your resume and a smartly worded letter out to those companies. Hopefully your research gets you a contact list of hiring managers or HR or recruiting or staffing people.

I actually got an email from someone a few weeks ago from someone who found me and was basically 'I want to work at your company, for you.' I put that resume above several that were supposedly well qualified by headhunters. Dude has the skills I need, which would have been a dealbreaker if he didn't, hence doing your research and targeting the right places is important.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Cross-posting this from the COBOL Cavern in SH/SC for more general career advice:

Is anyone familiar with the OSU Computer Science online post-bac program? (http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/undergraduate/computer-science/) It's a program for previous degree holders to earn a CS degree in as little as one year by taking online courses. The degree conferred is the exact same one as the brick-and-mortar school. Though it's called a CS degree, the course work seems to be much more focused on software engineering and computer systems, though I've been assured that the necessary math components have been rolled into program. The curriculum for the one-year program is here: http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/undergraduate/computer-science/CS-one-year-track-option.pdf

After graduating with an International Studies degree, I've been working for the past three years as an International Relations Coordinator for a municipal government office in Northern Japan doing project management, event planning, translation, public relations, and web development. My contract ends this August. I've always been interested in both math and coding, but have no formal education in either outside of basic classes and no practical experience to show for it outside of PHP / JavaScript / MySQL work I've done for my job.

I realize that getting a CS degree in one year is going to set off red flags with any potential employers, but I'm hoping to leverage my previous experience to land me an entry-level job where multinational communication is necessary. Is one year of dedicated study, resulting in a B.S. in CS, enough to think about an entry level job or internship in a software development role, or am I being overly optimistic? At 28, I also don't want to be away from working for longer than a year. Ultimately, I'd like a job that merges my project management and communications skills with technical skills, but I don't mind putting in the time getting up to speed in the industry.

Thanks so much for any advice!

NicelyNice fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 27, 2013

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

NicelyNice posted:

Cross-posting this from the COBOL Cavern in SH/SC for more general career advice:

Is anyone familiar with the OSU Computer Science online post-bac program? (http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/undergraduate/computer-science/) It's a program for previous degree holders to earn a CS degree in as little as one year by taking online courses. The degree conferred is the exact same one as the brick-and-mortar school. Though it's called a CS degree, the course work seems to be much more focused on software engineering and computer systems, though I've been assured that the necessary math components have been rolled into program. The curriculum for the one-year program is here: http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/undergraduate/computer-science/CS-one-year-track-option.pdf

After graduating with an International Studies degree, I've been working for the past three years as an International Relations Coordinator for a municipal government office in Northern Japan doing project management, event planning, translation, public relations, and web development. My contract ends this August. I've always been interested in both math and coding, but have no formal education in either outside of basic classes and no practical experience to show for it outside of PHP / JavaScript / MySQL work I've done for my job.

I realize that getting a CS degree in one year is going to set off red flags with any potential employers, but I'm hoping to leverage my previous experience to land me an entry-level job where multinational communication is necessary. Is one year of dedicated study, resulting in a B.S. in CS, enough to think about an entry level job or internship in a software development role, or am I being overly optimistic? At 28, I also don't want to be away from working for longer than a year. Ultimately, I'd like a job that merges my project management and communications skills with technical skills, but I don't mind putting in the time getting up to speed in the industry.

Check your PMs sir.

For those of you looking for advice, this was a very good post.

I would guess that many people here have advice for Mr NicelyNice.

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot

NicelyNice posted:

Ultimately, I'd like a job that merges my project management and communications skills with technical skills, but I don't mind putting in the time getting up to speed in the industry.

Sales engineer. Good money, and it's difficult to find people who combine tech skills with people/communication skills. Project management is also good for performing demos and making sure customers don't spend 6 months "trying out" the product.

Since you're starting out, look for positions at value-added resellers, then move into the vendor space.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Who I am: Recent college grad with a BA in Economics and an AA in Business Administration
What I did: Predominantly worked in Stata, SPSS, and R. The majority of my upper division was analyzing survey data and running regressions.
What I want to do: Make more than minimum wage. For the love of god please

I'm at a loss. I'm assuming it would be beneficial for me to get experience with Excel and VBA and learn a programming language but I'm unsure of entry positions in my area (San Diego North County) that are both career-building and won't leave me impoverished.

Any ideas? "Jobs for econ majors" on college websites don't seem to help at all. I don't wanna get a CPA. :saddowns:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Look for jobs using the keywords Stata, SPSS and R.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

Look for jobs using the keywords Stata, SPSS and R.

This

Xovaan posted:

I don't wanna get a CPA. :saddowns:

Not this.

A CPA with worth money. Yes, it is hard, but so far as I know there is a significant lack of new CPAs compared to future demand. Set up the rest of your life now by getting a CPA. There are lots of things you can do with it.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Xovaan posted:

Who I am: Recent college grad with a BA in Economics and an AA in Business Administration
What I did: Predominantly worked in Stata, SPSS, and R. The majority of my upper division was analyzing survey data and running regressions.
What I want to do: Make more than minimum wage. For the love of god please

I'm at a loss. I'm assuming it would be beneficial for me to get experience with Excel and VBA and learn a programming language but I'm unsure of entry positions in my area (San Diego North County) that are both career-building and won't leave me impoverished.

Any ideas? "Jobs for econ majors" on college websites don't seem to help at all. I don't wanna get a CPA. :saddowns:

I hire people like this sort of profile as entry level researchers, but you'd have to be in the NYC area. Most of the data analyst jobs out there are for finance with some marketing. If you're interested in public policy like I am though, the best options are consulting-ish firms like Mathematica or MDRC. If by chance that's what you're interested in I'm happy to talk, otherwise search for jobs with titles like "analyst" or "research", and skills like VBA, vlookup, STATA, etc...

There's probably some low hanging fruit for you. Learn vlookup and pivot tables for Excel like your life depends on it, and learn basic SQL queries (pretty much know what SELECT, INNER JOIN, and WHERE do.) Those are both pretty easy to learn but very useful and in demand.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 29, 2013

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

I hire people like this sort of profile as entry level researchers, but you'd have to be in the NYC area. Most of the data analyst jobs out there are for finance with some marketing. If you're interested in public policy like I am though, the best options are consulting-ish firms like Mathematica or MDRC. If by chance that's what you're interested in I'm happy to talk, otherwise search for jobs with titles like "analyst" or "research", and skills like VBA, vlookup, STATA, etc...

There's probably some low hanging fruit for you. Learn vlookup and pivot tables for Excel like your life depends on it, and learn basic SQL queries (pretty much know what SELECT, INNER JOIN, and WHERE do.) Those are both pretty easy to learn but very useful and in demand.

I don't mean to sound flippant, but I'm surprised there are circles where VLOOKUP is a "skill;" I mean it takes liek 2 minutes to read the documentation and understand how it works. And pivot tables are pretty much just point-and-click.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 29, 2013

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

Don't mean to highjack, but I'd be happy to hear what more you'd have to say about having a career in public policy research, necessary and/or in-demand skills and background, good companies to apply to, etc. If you don't feel like posting something in general here, I'd be happy to send you an email or PM with specific questions.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Kim Jong Il posted:

Perfect reply. Thanks much! Gonna spend the next two days brushing up on my Excel skills so I know what to expect. :)

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I don't mean to sound flippant, but I'm surprised there are circles where VLOOKUP is a "skill;" I mean it takes liek 2 minutes to read the documentation and understand how it works. And pivot tables are pretty much just point-and-click.

Yeah it's pretty easy in practice, but you can say the same for a million IT skills. My point was that it's good to articulate your skills, and it's an area where you can pick something up relatively easily that's also really useful and in demand.

yoyomama posted:

Don't mean to highjack, but I'd be happy to hear what more you'd have to say about having a career in public policy research, necessary and/or in-demand skills and background, good companies to apply to, etc. If you don't feel like posting something in general here, I'd be happy to send you an email or PM with specific questions.

You can post specific questions, I'll try to keep them here in public unless necessary. I work as a data analyst/researcher for a government contractor that also works with a lot of non-profits/think tanks, but as you can imagine things are very incestuous. I mainly work in operations, but my policy bonafides are pretty strong and I've been angling to move more in that direction. Mine is more of a small shop, so I've very often had to do IT administrative/IT support roles even though it's not my job at all. It's a good way though to ingratiate yourself in with upper management and/or get face time with clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

You'd probably be blown away how many people press the copy button and then press the paste button.