Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Lockback posted:

What rank are you and experience do you have managing teams (civvy and enlisted/other officers)?

Your probably qualified for leadership in a finance organization, which is probably way more money and way less work than being a cpa.

Lieutenant commander (O4).

Not managing anyone right now but I’ve managed up to ten people at a time, mix of civilian and enlisted/officers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How do you feel about staying in defense vs. trying out other industries?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ultrafilter posted:

How do you feel about staying in defense vs. trying out other industries?

Easy button if I were to relocate is a GS job or contracting gig in DC area but I don’t want that.

I’d take a GS job around here possibly, but I have no problem trying out another industry. My current place of employment is toxic as gently caress so I’m happy to leave and see if the grass is greener elsewhere.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

So of course your options depend on where you are. Connecticut has a lot of insurance companies, particularly in the Hartford area, and if you're near NYC you have the option of commuting down there where there are a ton of finance jobs. Outside of those two areas, there are options, but you don't really have the same concentration.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I was gonna say that sounds like dece background for a controller at a small to midsized outfit. Maybe CFO at a small joint.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

nwin posted:

Easy button if I were to relocate is a GS job or contracting gig in DC area but I don’t want that.

I’d take a GS job around here possibly, but I have no problem trying out another industry. My current place of employment is toxic as gently caress so I’m happy to leave and see if the grass is greener elsewhere.

You should be able to walk in as a manager in a finance team at any large company. Not my field, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't make at least double your number for relatively little work and stress (assuming you can externalize issues you can't control, which I would expect given your military history).

Location will impact opportunities. If you're open to relocation you should be fine. Just have someone look over your resume; keywords to pass automated filters are surprisingly important there.

Check market rate salaries and don't fall into the trap contractors lay out for recently retired people of accounting any military retirement income from government into your total comp.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ultrafilter posted:

So of course your options depend on where you are. Connecticut has a lot of insurance companies, particularly in the Hartford area, and if you're near NYC you have the option of commuting down there where there are a ton of finance jobs. Outside of those two areas, there are options, but you don't really have the same concentration.

Yeah New London area so not close to either, but Hartford would be closer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was gonna say that sounds like dece background for a controller at a small to midsized outfit. Maybe CFO at a small joint.

Option 2 is the comptroller job at my academy will be open when I’m due to retire so I could stay in another 3 years and get that as a resume builder. Not ideal short term but would pay off in the long run.

leper khan posted:

You should be able to walk in as a manager in a finance team at any large company. Not my field, but I'd be surprised if you couldn't make at least double your number for relatively little work and stress (assuming you can externalize issues you can't control, which I would expect given your military history).

Location will impact opportunities. If you're open to relocation you should be fine. Just have someone look over your resume; keywords to pass automated filters are surprisingly important there.

Check market rate salaries and don't fall into the trap contractors lay out for recently retired people of accounting any military retirement income from government into your total comp.

Thanks, trying to settle down and stop moving the kids, it it’s good to know options exist.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You’ve got a good background to find jobs without moving. Everyone needs finance and accounting.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

You could take my job tomorrow for above your target number. Hell if you’re in Houston PM me.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Democratic Pirate posted:

You could take my job tomorrow for above your target number. Hell if you’re in Houston PM me.

What do you do? And I was in Houston for a few years. Fuuuuuuuck humidity.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Do you have a clearance?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ham Equity posted:

Do you have a clearance?

Just secret

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

nwin posted:

Just secret

That's still a big plus, getting in the door is most of it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

nwin posted:

Just secret

Okay, but here's the big question your employers will probably start asking: do you play War Thunder?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

nwin posted:

What do you do? And I was in Houston for a few years. Fuuuuuuuck humidity.

Operational FP&A. Excel jockeying forecasts, budgeting, reporting, and schemes to beat said budgets. Far enough removed from GAAP that a “this is directionally correct” disclaimer covers the ad hoc analysis I do.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Operational FP&A. Excel jockeying forecasts, budgeting, reporting, and schemes to beat said budgets. Far enough removed from GAAP that a “this is directionally correct” disclaimer covers the ad hoc analysis I do.

Tell me more. At first glance that sounds right up my alley.

How’d you get into it/background/current experience needed for that position/etc.

Are you generally working for one company representing the company or one company consulting many?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

nwin posted:

Tell me more. At first glance that sounds right up my alley.

How’d you get into it/background/current experience needed for that position/etc.

Are you generally working for one company representing the company or one company consulting many?

I’m part of my company’s in house finance team focused on a specific area of the business. There are consulting gigs out there, but I wasn’t looking for the sales+travel sides of client service when I was job searching.

My CPA license + Big 4 accounting experience slightly over-credentials me compared to my peers - we look for general accounting/finance degrees or experience when hiring.

I found this job by casting a wide net and searching for combinations of * analyst postings in my area. With your background, Accounting, Finance, or general Business analyst positions could all be good fits.

A full military career of experience should net at least a Senior Analyst position if you don’t want to go into management. Around me that’s a $100k+ role.

Happy to discuss more in PMs if you’d like. I have some imposter syndrome about my role because it doesn’t feel super Finance-y even though my day to day is spent dissecting financial statements and saying things like Basis Points on the regular.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’m part of my company’s in house finance team focused on a specific area of the business. There are consulting gigs out there, but I wasn’t looking for the sales+travel sides of client service when I was job searching.

My CPA license + Big 4 accounting experience slightly over-credentials me compared to my peers - we look for general accounting/finance degrees or experience when hiring.

I found this job by casting a wide net and searching for combinations of * analyst postings in my area. With your background, Accounting, Finance, or general Business analyst positions could all be good fits.

A full military career of experience should net at least a Senior Analyst position if you don’t want to go into management. Around me that’s a $100k+ role.

Happy to discuss more in PMs if you’d like. I have some imposter syndrome about my role because it doesn’t feel super Finance-y even though my day to day is spent dissecting financial statements and saying things like Basis Points on the regular.

Sweet, thanks. PM sent!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Okay, so I think I know what I need to do, but want to see if there is anything I'm missing before I do it tomorrow.

Had a big role in the works doing DBA work that was going nowhere the past month-and-a-half. In the meantime I was offered a similar role that started just this past week. Of course I come home on Friday to a flurry of emails saying I'm in for the big DBA role and they need me to start Wednesday.

The DBA role is what I was going for originally and between higher base comp/way more time off/stock/bonus it adds up to being double what the current role is. Even the health and dental is much better. I believe I need to go in tomorrow morning and say "I came home to an offer on Friday and I cannot say no to it, I have to be done by tomorrow."

It's a crappy feeling but this really is just business. I'll likely be torching bridges with the company I just started at but also this is a substantial step up. Anything I'm forgetting?

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

19 o'clock posted:

Okay, so I think I know what I need to do, but want to see if there is anything I'm missing before I do it tomorrow.

Had a big role in the works doing DBA work that was going nowhere the past month-and-a-half. In the meantime I was offered a similar role that started just this past week. Of course I come home on Friday to a flurry of emails saying I'm in for the big DBA role and they need me to start Wednesday.

The DBA role is what I was going for originally and between higher base comp/way more time off/stock/bonus it adds up to being double what the current role is. Even the health and dental is much better. I believe I need to go in tomorrow morning and say "I came home to an offer on Friday and I cannot say no to it, I have to be done by tomorrow."

It's a crappy feeling but this really is just business. I'll likely be torching bridges with the company I just started at but also this is a substantial step up. Anything I'm forgetting?

Month and a half is barely anything at a position. Your current company will hate you, but I would take the double comp role immediately.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Meshka posted:

Month and a half is barely anything at a position. Your current company will hate you, but I would take the double comp role immediately.

I just started last week. I just finished week one.

But also thank you for confirming my thoughts: just business. It sucks and is not the way I wanted it to work out but I can't ignore such a substantial bump in comp and vacation.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s just business.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

19 o'clock posted:

I just started last week. I just finished week one.

But also thank you for confirming my thoughts: just business. It sucks and is not the way I wanted it to work out but I can't ignore such a substantial bump in comp and vacation.

If they discovered they could make an extra $5 a week in profit by firing you a week into your new job, they would not hesitate for a moment.

Get paid.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Jordan7hm posted:

It’s just business.

Ham Equity posted:

If they discovered they could make an extra $5 a week in profit by firing you a week into your new job, they would not hesitate for a moment.

Get paid.

Thank you, both! It's just poo poo timing.

I also asked a PM I've worked with before and she just laughed and said, "I did that earlier this year!" She has a lot of experience and said she's been on both sides of it. It happens. They'll survive.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Don't walk away from a job that quickly

Unless

It's a significant step up or otherwise life changing. This sounds like it is.

Like, it's probably not worth burning a bridge for a 5% raise but this is a much better opportunity and the kind of decision that makes your life better.

Apologize, make it clear you wish things would have worked out better, enjoy the new job.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
The additional vacation can be calculated a couple different ways. But even my most conservative calculations place total compensation at over a 60% increase over the current role. Factor in bonus and it's an 80% jump.

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 30, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

slidebite posted:

So revisiting this,

Since this I've been through a couple of interviews in addition to that first informal one. One with their HR over the phone (actually the person that head hunted me) and another teams interview with the informal meeting guy and his boss, a fairly high exec in the company.

I felt fairly prepared for the interview, even though I really haven't had one with another company for decades, so I wasn't *entirely* sure how it would go. I was fairly matter of fact and upon reflecting afterwards realized wasn't mincing words and thought I might have been a little cringy with soe responses. I was careful to do it over a lunch hour so it didn't interfere with my current job, so time was a little of the essence which might have actually helped as it got rid of a lot of small talk. I also had to keep some of the replies to questions they asked fairly generic as I couldn't give any information which might be viewed as sharing anything confidential with my current employer and they seemed to respect that.

As the interview wrapped up, they sounded like they were trying to really sell some aspects of their company as an employer which I thought was a good sign as opposed to "lets just get off the call with this clown" so I thought went probably well enough... but then I started reflecting on some things I said and thought man, maybe I really blew it and came across like an rear end.

Clock ticks, a couple weeks pass and have not heard a peep. So I was thinking, I *must* have blown that.... Oh well, that's OK.

Then yesterday out of the blue I get an email. "Hey, Slidebite, sorry to keep you hanging. I just wanted to reach out and let you know we are working on a formal offer. I really hope it lands in a place you'll be happy with."

So... I guess... we'll see..?
So take 2

Got an offer a week ago. It was a good offer. Not *OMG GREAT* but a good, solid offer. Solid enough that if I were unemployed I absolutely would have jumped at it.

Decent increase in $$$, however they (being a large multinational corporation) want some legal concessions (specifically around compensation in event of termination). That actually isn't a huge concern for me as I won't be a long term employee with them as I intend to hopefully retire within 5-10 years, and there is a decent bump in general compensation which more than offsets anything that I would have legally been able to get in termination (I ran this past a lawyer friend).

The timeline they asked for a response to the offer was no beuno, so I told them I'd need until at least until today and asked to meet in person for lunch to discuss.

My potential new boss replied to my email about putting off to today and meeting in person to discuss, and he said no problem, he understands its a big decision and isn't going to rush it. He'd already advised the Executive within the company that it's going to take a bit and won't be a fast decision.

In the meantime: this past Thursday afternoon on my way home I get a phone call from a # I don't recognize. I answer it, a guy that introduces himself by his first name (no idea who he is) with the company that is after me.

So I said "OK.... and you are...?"

Turns out he is a/the VP, the #2 in the company, directly below the CEO.

He says,

"Hey, Slidebite, just wanted to reach out to you to let you know that I've read your resume and heard a lot about you. I think you are a perfect fit for our company and embody the direction we want to go. Do you have any questions that I can help you with?"

I didn't, I was still taken aback as it was unexpected out of the blue call, but I did tell him what I emailed the guy earlier, that we're meeting Monday (today) for lunch and maybe we can hammer something out.

"Well, (potential new boss) is a great guy and I have faith you'll work something out. You've got my number, please call me directly if you want to discuss anything. I really look forward to having you on the team."

So, not sure if that's just ego stroking trying to give me the warm fuzzies that I'm really wanted or what. But if anything its emboldening me a bit more than I was planning. I did some research, I have a friend that has a friend that worked for them and he got some intel on the spectrum of compensation that they do. Very valuable intel. It basically confirmed that while it was a good offer, there are a couple of things that they likely have room on which I am going to push.

We'll see what he says. I don't think I'll get to an agreement today (he'll probably need to talk to his boss/HR) but who knows.. he might have an idea of what he knows is acceptable or not.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

go to the negotiating thread now

do not try to enlist your future boss as a negotiating ally, that is almost certainly not going to work in your favor

the guy's definitely pumping your tires, it's a pretty normal thing to do to try to get a candidate you like to sign up. good news is it means they like you so you definitely have some room to negotiate. you will probably have to be sure to respond in kind and make sure you talk about how much you like the opportunity, too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh no Definitely not an ally. I mean I'm not expecting him to be able to necessarily come to a conclusion at the table with me, I have no idea what he's authorized to do. That's what I mean.

So yeah, we'll see how it goes.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

go to the negotiating thread now

do not try to enlist your future boss as a negotiating ally, that is almost certainly not going to work in your favor

the guy's definitely pumping your tires, it's a pretty normal thing to do to try to get a candidate you like to sign up. good news is it means they like you so you definitely have some room to negotiate. you will probably have to be sure to respond in kind and make sure you talk about how much you like the opportunity, too.

Really. I’ve given 2 of my new hires more than they asked for in negotiations in starting salary over the last 2 years.

I’m not a loving psycho they work for me and I want them to be happy and productive. Like I’m gonna “beat” one of my employees in a negotiation? That’s Trump esque poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

congratulations, you're special

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If you don't have any incentives otherwise, you might as well get your staff paid as much as you possibly can because then they won't quit. It's not your P&L anyway.

Middle_Mgmt.txt

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I meant that in a positive way. It's great that dude does that. It's foolish to assume that other managers would also do this on the hiring side.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
More than they asked for isn’t the most they could have gotten if they negotiated properly in the first place.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The new manager is going to be motivated to land the deal easily with as little disruption as possible, not super motivated by salary amount either way. That might work for you it might not, but OP is correct that likely new boss will mostly be a middle man.

Getting inside Intel on salary ranges is really good though. Don't tip off you have that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Had the lunch meeting. Went almost 2 hours. A lot of small talk but the topic at hand was the primary, followed by generic business talk.

I gave him my counter and as suspected he couldn't make a decision right then and there. So he said he'll take it back to his people and see if they can make the math work. He didn't seem agast but I'm pretty sure it's a bit higher than he would have expected as I was pretty aggressive on my counter. If I get everything I ask for it'll be a significant raise over what I make now with virtually identical benefits, including vacation time. So it will be worth my while financially IMHO.

So we will see. The ball is in their court right now. I suspect I'll hear something within a few days.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 31, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Having some informational interviews with folks at various tech firms.

I would like more money and less stress.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Having some informational interviews with folks at various tech firms.

I would like more money and less stress.

In theory those 2 are positively, not negatively correlated.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

pseudanonymous posted:

In theory those 2 are positively, not negatively correlated.

I don’t think they are correlated at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

at a certain low level of money i agree they are correlated, since a lot of stress comes from financial insecurity. but after a certain point of money they are in fact not correlated in any way