Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bloodbath posted:

I'm just so bored of it though and for years have wanted to leave,
but it's just so dull

I always take discussions like this with a few questions.

Introspection time:

What have you enjoyed most doing at work lately?

What have you enjoyed the least (again, AT WORK)?

What about your job do you wish you did more? Less?

What motivates you? Demotivates you?

Are there other interests or passions that you have outside of work? Would your current job benefit from some of those interests? (1)

Do you have other work experience in other fields that you would like to revisit? How can you spin your current work into something relative to go back into that field?

But really, focus on what you have liked and disliked and try to find a way to get into a position where you do what you like. No sitting on your rear end and fapping watching tele is not a career.

(1) I actually had someone incorporate cycling analogies into his work and it made him much more passionate when presenting work topics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILoveYou
Apr 21, 2010

a

ILoveYou fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 9, 2020

Mary Fucking Poppins
Aug 1, 2002
I'm a little confused about how pay works when compared to an independent contractor. I'm considering a job with a consulting company who would offer the position as an independent contractor or an employee of the consulting company itself. If they say that the job is $X per her and to increase that if pursuing as an independent contractor or decrease that if pursing as a full-time employee, how much does that generally slide in each direction? I'd more than likely pursue as a full-time employee, but I don't really have an idea of how much the annual salary would actually be. I'm intending on asking more about that with the recruiter, but the more information I have ahead of time the more comfortable I'd be.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ILoveYou posted:

Hello goons. Struggling with a career path choice for myself here.

Choice #1
Apples

Choice #2
Xylophone

help!

Your choices aren't at all comparable. First, how does moving to the southeast get your girlfriend closer to her family? Figure out location first, unless the southeast job is really all that ad a bag of chips (your own description makes it sound like it isn't). Are there jobs in your career area in Chicagoland? Keep in mind you would start from scratch in a development career, meaning possibly less money. My recommendation: keep Ruby as a hobby, pursue careering the area you want to live.
Break apart all the issues and look at them separately. Some will be more important than others.

Mary loving Poppins posted:

I'm a little confused about how pay works when compared to an independent contractor. I'm considering a job with a consulting company who would offer the position as an independent contractor or an employee of the consulting company itself. If they say that the job is $X per her and to increase that if pursuing as an independent contractor or decrease that if pursing as a full-time employee, how much does that generally slide in each direction? I'd more than likely pursue as a full-time employee, but I don't really have an idea of how much the annual salary would actually be. I'm intending on asking more about that with the recruiter, but the more information I have ahead of time the more comfortable I'd be.

Do you want to pay for your own insurance and taxes? There are some people who prefer contracting and are set up to do that stuff on their own and feel like it is better. Others prefer being a corporate employee and getting regular benefits and such. You would have to look t taxes and benefits and such in your area of residence and compare the contractor rate less all that other stuff against the salary they offer (and other benefits).

The decision for you boils down to this: have you done contracting in the past and are you comfortable with that setup? If they answer isn't a resounding YES just take it as a corporate job.

Mary Fucking Poppins
Aug 1, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

Do you want to pay for your own insurance and taxes? There are some people who prefer contracting and are set up to do that stuff on their own and feel like it is better. Others prefer being a corporate employee and getting regular benefits and such. You would have to look t taxes and benefits and such in your area of residence and compare the contractor rate less all that other stuff against the salary they offer (and other benefits).

The decision for you boils down to this: have you done contracting in the past and are you comfortable with that setup? If they answer isn't a resounding YES just take it as a corporate job.
Yeah, my intention is to take it as a full-time position mostly because I don't want the head-ache of doing taxes as an independent contractor. But I'm trying to get a gauge on how much the salary would be to see if it's worth it to leave my current position. Like I said, I can ask the recruiter, but I was already told $X/hr but lower if you're not a subcontractor. So if it's normal for people to automatically know that means $X - Y I'd rather not ask and risk looking dumb.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
It's not stupid to ask what the salaries are. As a contractor, you need to factor in all the benefits that are available to a FTE and the additional hassles of managing your own poo poo and lower level of job security.

You need to be very clear on what each position will be paying.

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot

Mary loving Poppins posted:

If you're going through an outside recruiter, beware. In a lot of "contractor" cases you'll actually be paid by the recruiting agency rather than the company you're working for. And the company will be paying your recruiting agency something like $75/hour for you when you only see $50/hour.

Go salaried/FT employee of your company if at all possible, and negotiate the hell out of it.

Edit: Also yes, if you're not asking/negotiating about salary/compensation you're a chump. Professionals want to be compensated well for what they do and for most people it's the #1 concern, so don't be shy about it.

ProFootballGuy fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jul 21, 2013

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot
To follow up to my post above, I want to make it absolutely clear to everyone:

COMPENSATION IS ALWAYS NEGOTIABLE.

Sports and entertainment agents work to get the maximum price for their clients' services. You're your own agent. And you have to be willing to get the maximum price or the best fit for your own services.

The best part is that you're always a free agent, so always keep your eye out for a bigger and better deal. If you have anything of value to offer, you can command market price or above -- any and all the time.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I currently work about 50/50 in operations/QA and product development. This is more by necessity than choice. I am skilled at both and acknowledged as such by management, but this split really means that my duties in both tend to suffer as I can't really do even close to what is needed for either. I genuinely enjoy working with both though. Originally the plan communicated to me a while back was that I would shift to a role exclusively in operations/QA, although I was very skeptical of the time of this happening because management has a very aggressive business plan that always gives the short shrift to operations/QA and pulls away resources from it. This has ended up happening, and now the new plan seems to be that I will exclusively focus on product development with a new external hire brought in to handle my operations duties. I have two really big issues with this:

1. I have a lot of specialized experience with operations/QA - it's the kind of setup where you really need to have 6 months to a year of experience with it to know what you're doing. I am 100% certain that if this was to happen, operations would suffer even more and this could lead to some pretty big problems with our clients. I have to spend an insane amount of time as is putting out these sorts of fires, which is not only thankless (with plenty of shooting the messenger), but is in fact largely caused by management's priorities. They have an extremely poor understanding of this entire process and all that goes into it.

2. The reason for the move is that there is a really big project coming up - and one that I'm very pessimistic about. I think it's doomed to failure, and as such don't at all want to be associated with it. In a way it's a vote of confidence in me to work on this because I'm probably the best person who could get it into shape, but I'm not optimistic, and just the way I think I can only focus on the prospects for failure and not the possibilities for success. Try as I can to look at this way, I just can't accept it.

Not only is my career trajectory probably going to be a lot worse if I don't go into product development full time, but it has the potential to endanger my status, which is currently very secure. (That's already not great to begin with because I'm not a very good manager.) That's the extent to which I lack confidence in this. I have tried to dance around these issues in talking to my direct supervisor, but it hasn't gone over very well at all even in that limited extent. Are there any options available at all besides the obvious ones of "leave" or "see a shrink?"

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Kim Jong Il posted:

I currently work about 50/50 in operations/QA and product development. This is more by necessity than choice. I am skilled at both and acknowledged as such by management, but this split really means that my duties in both tend to suffer as I can't really do even close to what is needed for either. I genuinely enjoy working with both though. Originally the plan communicated to me a while back was that I would shift to a role exclusively in operations/QA, although I was very skeptical of the time of this happening because management has a very aggressive business plan that always gives the short shrift to operations/QA and pulls away resources from it. This has ended up happening, and now the new plan seems to be that I will exclusively focus on product development with a new external hire brought in to handle my operations duties. I have two really big issues with this:

1. I have a lot of specialized experience with operations/QA - it's the kind of setup where you really need to have 6 months to a year of experience with it to know what you're doing. I am 100% certain that if this was to happen, operations would suffer even more and this could lead to some pretty big problems with our clients. I have to spend an insane amount of time as is putting out these sorts of fires, which is not only thankless (with plenty of shooting the messenger), but is in fact largely caused by management's priorities. They have an extremely poor understanding of this entire process and all that goes into it.

2. The reason for the move is that there is a really big project coming up - and one that I'm very pessimistic about. I think it's doomed to failure, and as such don't at all want to be associated with it. In a way it's a vote of confidence in me to work on this because I'm probably the best person who could get it into shape, but I'm not optimistic, and just the way I think I can only focus on the prospects for failure and not the possibilities for success. Try as I can to look at this way, I just can't accept it.

Not only is my career trajectory probably going to be a lot worse if I don't go into product development full time, but it has the potential to endanger my status, which is currently very secure. (That's already not great to begin with because I'm not a very good manager.) That's the extent to which I lack confidence in this. I have tried to dance around these issues in talking to my direct supervisor, but it hasn't gone over very well at all even in that limited extent. Are there any options available at all besides the obvious ones of "leave" or "see a shrink?"

The whole point of moving someone good from a QA/Ops background into development is to try to avoid the whole 'deploy and it turns into a garbage fire' scenario in the first place. It's always better to have good developers doing good design up front rather than mediocre/overloaded developers and lots of QA and operations people. Your superiors are apparently willing to live with the up-front cost until people get up-to-speed.

Also, keep in mind that going the 100% product development role is going to pay better for you and in your career, and a failed project is a great way of learning what not to do. Let the people in charge of caring whether or not do the worrying about projects and success - all you can do is give people the information they need to make decisions, and do what you're told to do (if you can figure out why you're getting told what to do and figure out a better way of meeting the real need behind the request, so much the better.)

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I'm 29 and I recently completed my undergrad (BS in food science w/ an emphasis in sensory science) and got a job with a very large personal care consumer goods company in their consumer insights department. My role involves study design (online surveys, consumer tests, etc.), statistical analysis of the data obtained from those studies, and translating the results of the analysis into an easy to understand presentation for other teams. I don't enjoy working with personal care products, but a job is a job. I get tuition reimbursement and I'm thinking about what I want to do next -- I really enjoy the data analysis aspects of this job, and translating the data into a story for others to understand. I was looking at University of Washington's Data Science certificate program or something like that -- are the skills taught in these data science programs that are popping up a logical progression from my job now? I'm worried that since I don't have a background in CS that going down this route would be over my head. I do have a strong statistical background, would an MS in stats be a better idea for what I want to do? I do want to change industries soon though, I'm assuming the Data Science certificate would give me a better chance of working for a tech company?

Jerome Louis fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 21, 2013

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Certificates in data science are very new, and no one really knows exactly how the job prospects are going to be (although it's probably good). The MS in stats is fine, especially if you can take a CS class or two along the way.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I'd go for the MS in stats if you want something more substantive. I know someone in one of those newer programs and while it may be a valuable signal to employers, they aren't really teaching anything new.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Any general tips for going into a review? I'm expecting it to be pretty positive but I'm hoping to either get a transfer to a new overseas office that's opening up or into another line of work. Also hopefully more money. In the past, I've just taken the offer on the table but apparently everyone is telling me that I should be negotiating all my raises.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ragingsheep posted:

Any general tips for going into a review? I'm expecting it to be pretty positive but I'm hoping to either get a transfer to a new overseas office that's opening up or into another line of work. Also hopefully more money. In the past, I've just taken the offer on the table but apparently everyone is telling me that I should be negotiating all my raises.

Some advice will differ based on your employers process around reviews and moves.

Does your boss or whoever is doing your review know that you want to move to the new overseas office or move into a different line of work? Not every office culture is accepting of such things, but if you worked for me I would definitely want to know those things.

If the offer is done at the end of the review, you should position yourself in advance so they can do their homework. If the review is your chance to present yourself and your impact on the business, go prepared. Actually know how you benefit the business. Have Metrics and Data.

Either before or during the review the company needs to know what you want and the priority of those things. Would you take more money to stay where you are vs. a transfer to a new line of work for the same money? Will you quit if you don't get the overseas transfer? It is much easier to have conversations like this with all parties prepared vs. a total surprise. I have had them in both situations, but your work environment will dictate if they are open to your priming the pump so to speak before your review meeting.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I have an engineering degree that is 5 years stale (total of 2 interviews for "related" positions, no job offers) and I'm currently working big box retail. What is something I can break into that pays decent starting out, or that I can advance in a manner other than "minimum wage for 2 years until you get enough 'experience' for lower retail management".

I obviously can't get into the career field I want, but I need to find something I can do that will also pay the bills. Preferably something that doesn't require going back to school and spending money I don't have.

SecurityManKillJoy
Sep 1, 2009

Jerome Louis posted:

I was looking at University of Washington's Data Science certificate program or something like that

I'm not sure how helpful that certificate would be in specific, but I did a certificate program to have more examples of what I can do. I did a business admin certificate, and the result was a mock business plan (probably usable if my teammates really wanted to, but would need improvements) but covered everything you would expect in a real one, within thirty pages.

If a full Master's would allow you produce something else that demonstrate your skills, such as research papers and a shot at publishing them, do that if the costs and potential salary benefits make sense. A certificate, however, is much less costly and I would say is not as self-explanatory as a Master's. It may be a good opportunity to fill in some skills gaps without a lot of commitment though. I've seen people do that at the same time as doing a Master's in a different subject while holding a full-time job, such as an engineer doing a business certificate while doing an engineering Master's.

SecurityManKillJoy fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 31, 2013

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

I have an engineering degree that is 5 years stale (total of 2 interviews for "related" positions, no job offers) and I'm currently working big box retail. What is something I can break into that pays decent starting out, or that I can advance in a manner other than "minimum wage for 2 years until you get enough 'experience' for lower retail management".

I obviously can't get into the career field I want, but I need to find something I can do that will also pay the bills. Preferably something that doesn't require going back to school and spending money I don't have.

You're an engineer so you should be half decent with numbers. Try any entry level "analyst" position.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Ragingsheep posted:

You're an engineer so you should be half decent with numbers. Try any entry level "analyst" position.

Most "entry level analyst" type jobs in my area (California) are looking for accounting, finance, or stats degress + years of experience. I've been watching the bay area job market pretty heavily and the lowest I've seen is 0-2 years of experience, knowledge of SQL, knowledge of "whatever software they use", and a relevant business / math degree. Plus this was in San Jose area (very high cost of living) and they were only offering $15-$20/hr.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but they'd be up against some pretty tough odds trying to find and/or even get an interview for one of those jobs.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
those requirements are bullshit tacked on by HR or just fishing for a super great applicant that prob doesn't exist (purple unicorn). You can get one of those jobs and do very well if you've already conquered an engineering degree.

-Learn basic SQL. Install a free version on your home PC and make a DB of giant monsters or your favorite baseball players or whatever.

-Learn enough XL to pivot table and vlookup.

-for specific tools, google what they are and start thinking of equivalent things you've done. Like I've never used Salesforce but I've done CRM through a free google app (and on excel).

-when they ask if you know [specific software] answer that:
1) I have never used that tool, but I know it does X and I've done X using tool Y [your story goes here]

2)I have not used it, what do you use it for? Then after they answer: Is there a freeware or trial version I could take a look at tonight?

There now you've handled that question without stalling the conversation and demonstrated initiative plus willingness to learn which is what they really want anyway.

Most places asking for a business/math major would be happy to take an engineer. Just make sure your resume really highlights your ability to use business tools and "get" a business environment.

EDIT: the pay might suck and it might be a poo poo company but once you've done 2 years you've got a ton more options that will all pay more money.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 31, 2013

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Getting an analyst job.

If he couldn't sell himself well enough to get an engineering or similar job right out of College I'm assuming he won't be able to sell himself in an industry he probably has 0 experience in. There's a huge difference in walking out of college with a degree and trying to get a job and being 5 years stale on a degree and trying to get a job.

Engineering is one of those degrees that you should be able to pretty easily find a job when you graduate. Something is obviously missing (bad market, bad grades, inability to sell yourself, etc.).

Hell I could be wrong though.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Probably, but no point dwelling on the past. Saying I couldn't do it then, I can't do it now is never going to help.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Most places asking for a business/math major would be happy to take an engineer. Just make sure your resume really highlights your ability to use business tools and "get" a business environment.

EDIT: the pay might suck and it might be a poo poo company but once you've done 2 years you've got a ton more options that will all pay more money.

I agree with most of this, but it depends on the role. Heavy quant analysts yes, other kinds of analysts actively dislike Engineering recruits.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

is that a social skills thing? Or not getting business ideas? I guess after working as a BA and with other BAs with a variety of backgrounds it seems like the skills needed to do the job are pretty general.

Amend what I said about that, but I bet those quant heavy roles pay better.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I received a BA in Arts Applications (really Film Criticism) in 2006. I worked an IT call center job for 3 years, and then I went back to school for a BS in Physics. I'll be graduating in December, and I'm freaking out a bit about what to do with my life.

Aside from retail, my only actual job experience is in IT. I had the 3 year job, and I worked for a half year in IT at my library. I absolutely hate IT, and I do not want to do it for a career.

I'm looking for a career that challenges me mathematically and scientifically, and has me solving problems and thinking creatively. I've thought about things like Data Science, Forensic Science, Actuaries, even Private Investigation. You'd say that I'd need additional education for that, and you'd probably be right, but I'm not sure how much I can afford both in terms of time and money. I have debt from two Bachelor's degrees, and I'll be 30 by the time I graduate.

What should I do?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You don't need any further education to be an actuary, although you do need to pass the exams. It might not be a bad idea to sign up for the first one to see what you might be getting yourself into.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Thanks.

I found this job posting which is both a. loving awesome sounding and b. almost completely within my qualifications (I have slightly less research experience than they need).

They put it up today, and I graduate in December. I wonder if they'd be willing to work around my T/Th class schedule? :P

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Does anyone have any advice for transitioning into a career in finance (or related)?

I currently work in Pharmaceutical Compliance and while I love my company, I am really really hating my job more and more every day. I don't actually hate most of what I do, the analyst type work, but part of my job is also calling people up and essentially scolding them, which I am doing okay at but I am really uncomfortable with it and I don't see myself being able to do that type of stuff forever.

I really want to go back to school and get an MBA with a concentration in finance. My company will pay for my MBA but I think I'm going to have a really tough time explaining why I am taking so many finance courses since the coursework is supposed to be "job related".

So what I've decided is the best course of action is to be on the look out for entry level finance related positions in my company to open up and apply for them. This would facilitate an easier path to my free MBA. My company is supposedly pretty good about internal applications. I just feel that the longer I stay in "Compliance" the more I am pigeonholing myself in a field I ultimately don't want to be in.

Would it be wise to try and find accounts payable/budget/contract related type positions (as those are the ones I have seen recently) to try and restart my career?

Does anyone have any advice on things I should try and fill up my résumé with? I am a very advanced Excel user and I am currently focusing on learning SQL.

Any general tips/advice?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Bugamol posted:

If he couldn't sell himself well enough to get an engineering or similar job right out of College I'm assuming he won't be able to sell himself in an industry he probably has 0 experience in. There's a huge difference in walking out of college with a degree and trying to get a job and being 5 years stale on a degree and trying to get a job.

Engineering is one of those degrees that you should be able to pretty easily find a job when you graduate. Something is obviously missing (bad market, bad grades, inability to sell yourself, etc.).

Hell I could be wrong though.

I blame it on bad market and poor networking when I first got out of college. The market I want to get into took a major hit the semester before I graduated, and has been slowly working itself back up. I think the timing worked against me that as things got 'okay' my degree had a nice layer of dust on it. If I could afford some kind of refresher or a graduate degree, I could probably find a job in 6mo to a year. Right now with my financial situation, that's not an option, but if I can get some of my current debt paid off (one bill will be going away March of next year), going back to school could be back on the table.

ExcessiveForce
Mar 21, 2010
a

ExcessiveForce fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 20, 2015

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ExcessiveForce posted:

Not sure if this is there correct place to ask about this but thought maybe some insight could be offered.

I work out of the corporate office for my company and for the past three months have been filling in a management position at one of our subsidiaries on an interim basis while also continuing my existing job. I was just offered the position at the subsidiary which comes with a fairly generous pay increase. Now for the past three months I've been working two full time jobs essentially with the understanding that I was most likely going to be offered this job. Is it unreasonable or a faux pas to ask for the retroactive increase for the period of time I began assuming the duties at the subsidiary? I'm in the middle of salary negotiations now.

Retroactive is tough since you were also doing your old job. Maybe a bonus in consideration for the work, but likely the pay increase is what you get and the past work was really sunk cost for you to earn the promotion.
That being said, negotiate your rump off. Everything is negotiable and if they hit the wall for salary look at the bigger picture and think about other non cash stuff that has value to you.

ExcessiveForce
Mar 21, 2010
a

ExcessiveForce fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 20, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just wanted to echo a few things I've read in this thread: learning a good amount of Excel/Access (with SQL statement knowledge) is one of the easiest ways to make a halfway decent living these days. If you can throw together a dashboard that looks OK, perform concatenation on multiple cells to enables lookups on like values, use conditional formatting, know how to search within cells for certain values to flag then, and use basic logic inside if statements, you will be a valuable analyst at most nonfinancial companies. If you learn about array formulas, macros, and a handful of VBA, you will be considered godlike in many places.

I'm a product management analyst and the money is pretty good for someone four years out of school, in my opinion. It's not NYC money, but enough to let you live drat well in medium cost of living places.

The key here is that you're now in the corporate world. What other folks here have said is so true: having 2 years of solid experience makes it quite literally infinitely easier to find something else, especially if you didn't intern or go to a world renowned school. I went from a year and a half of soul sucking call center work after school to getting a break in an analyst position that didn't pay well but offered tons of experience, to getting this job, and now four months later I'm leaving for a marketing manager position. I think most reasonably intelligent and tenacious goons can do this if you get just a little good experience under your belt. I know what it feels like (red title!) to be underemployed and unemployed, so if anything I'd want to tell people in situations like I used to be in that it's totally possible to still catch a break in 2013, even without connections or exotic skills.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

ExcessiveForce posted:

Perhaps I'm not following, but why is retroactive tough since I was also working my old job?

I'm confident in pushing the limits as far as my salary and fringe (bonus plan is more than generous) but I was not sure if asking for the retro was just being greedy.

I am no negotiation expert but I'd say asking for retroactive doesn't make sense. It's common for someone to "step up" and take on higher-level responsibilities as an opportunity to show you can do it and learn the ropes, then get the promotion. That sounds pretty much like what happened here. Negotiate for the best salary and benefits you can get, but consider what's happened to date your "training and try out" period.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ExcessiveForce posted:

Perhaps I'm not following, but why is retroactive tough since I was also working my old job?

I'm confident in pushing the limits as far as my salary and fringe (bonus plan is more than generous) but I was not sure if asking for the retro was just being greedy.

corkskroo posted:

I am no negotiation expert but I'd say asking for retroactive doesn't make sense. It's common for someone to "step up" and take on higher-level responsibilities as an opportunity to show you can do it and learn the ropes, then get the promotion. That sounds pretty much like what happened here. Negotiate for the best salary and benefits you can get, but consider what's happened to date your "training and try out" period.

This is pretty much what I meant. You were doing your old job and they were trying you out for your new job. If they had moved you fully into a new job then maybe you could ask for retroactive. I this case it is reasonable to ask for it to start when you started you new position full time.
Heck, most of the time I have changed roles recently the salary has lagged a bit and there was no retroactive.

Apr 23, 2002
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. Wait...
Not sure how appropriate something this wordy is, but here goes:

I've been with a well-known copy, print, and shipping company for almost 13 years now, moved up to become a manager at a small retail location last summer, and have taken that location from on the edge of being closed to hitting stellar numbers.

Unfortunately I don't see a clear path out of where I currently am, and I think I need to get out of where I am: I find my day to day work unsatisfying and dull and my work is suffering as a result. It's very isolated, so I get little if any feedback from peers or my supervisor. I've had trouble keeping the store staffed, as the pay and benefits the company offer don't seem to fit the kind of people I'm expected to find to work here.

I feel like I need to make a transition, but don't have any idea what I could transition into. I look at job listings and can't begin to come up with anything I seem to qualify for.

My biggest terrifying fear is that my job goes away in one way or another; even though I spent last year wrecking sales targets the next years are much tougher and if I got a letter tomorrow saying it was being shut down I would not be at all surprised. I'm trying to get out in front of that and figure out where I could have a hope to transition to.

What kind of lines of work should I be looking in with experience in customer service (rockstar, but dime a dozen), copy/print (dying), general retail management (I don't know how unique or useful that is), and sales (person to person I love, but calling someone I haven't seen in three months and begging for work makes me ill)?

Any help I deeply appreciate.

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.
I was originally hired by these two super nice business guys as a ghostwriter, and apparently did well enough to help them out with edits/feature writing/content solicitation for a couple of other blogs/print publications they've had on the backburner for a while. I really like my job, but I'm not totally sure how it translates into most typical career paths. They keep saying that they're thinking long-term, but I think I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I figure out what my resume should look like if things don't work out. I've been told that I'm a content manager, is that somewhere close?

Also, do people actually hire content managers who aren't super gung-ho college kids?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

it may be worth your $ to go to the Resume to Interview guy and work with him to hammer out a resume to match official job titles based on what you do. They'd be well positioned to help you define your job really well.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I posted in here a while ago looking for ideas (and even got some excellent info from another goon that I failed to follow up on) on where to go from where I am to where I think I want to be.

Quick recap - I'm a field service engineer with 10 years experience who has gone on to get a Masters in Organizational Leadership and has an eye on management. However, the organization I'm a part of moves very slowly with little opportunity for direct advancement and I find my job to have become boring and routine. I was contemplating going back to school again for an MBA or MScBA but I'm not as thrilled with the idea as I used to be.

I was perusing my current employers many job openings and saw that a number of positions list Project Management certification as a requirement. I was not aware that PM certification was a thing and was wondering what peoples thoughts on them were. The postings list CAPM, PMI, PMP and PRINCE2 as examples.

I wouldn't expect a PM cert to suddenly open up management opportunities that weren't there before but it seems like I could have a better shot at side stepping into a role that would allow me to actually start making some career progress.

Anybody here have any experience with PM certs, the training companies or even any thoughts on their value?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
They won't help very much in terms of actual skills but some employers value them. Others don't remotely care.