Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Using drugs will kill. So be for real.

econdroidbot posted:

This is a very fair question. One of the reasons I want to be a manager is for career growth. I've been successful as an individual contributor, and to me the next challenge is to see if I can develop other talent. I innately like teaching/sharing knowledge, but I realize that doesn't mean I would be a good manager. Still, I'm not going to know unless I try! Also, if I do become a manager I would like to keep my hand in the analysis work, at least to some degree.

With all that being said, another motivating factor is money. Rightly or wrongly, my company (and most, I assume) value managerial experience more than individual contribution. I've helped drive incremental revenue by at least 3% every month since I started, but it hasn't gotten me an extra dime. I have an expensive graduate degree to pay off, so my options are to either go into the management realm or go into consulting.

I've made it clear that I want to be in management, I have excellent performance reviews, and I have a solid rapport with people from the entry level all the way to a couple of VPs. I keep getting told that leadership views me as a high potential employee and they want me to have more opportunities (international assignments, special projects, management), but that inevitably ends up ringing hollow. Enough is enough. Two years on the same job, and I've learned it in and out. I'm stagnant, and I'm not going to play the "wait around until someone comes to you" game, which is what they want me to do.

For what it's worth, my direct manager is also stuck in the same quandary. Little to no career guidance, and pigeonholed into his current role because as long as he's there nothing gets screwed up. His boss (my director) was recently canned, so perhaps the whole mentality will change once there is someone with vision and leadership skills at the helm.

I really don't like this mindset from the perspective of a company. A smart company would recognize key contributors and provide them paths for advancement that don't involve management, but it looks all too common that the only way up is through the management ranks. I'm facing the same dilemma, I have no strong desire to manage people aside from the benefits it entails of increased responsibility and compensation, but if there was a parallel track that would allow me to keep doing what I'm doing but grow in that way (for me, maybe grow into a programmer analyst or something instead of an analyst) with commensurate wage growth, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I've seen plenty of blog posts recently talking about this, so maybe it's gaining some traction. For now though, manager path it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

econdroidbot posted:

Dude, I hear ya. Sounds like you feel stuck. I'd like to expand my analytical skills, but that would be a lateral move at best.

Luckily enough I don't feel stuck, but that's because I get the distinct impression this company doesn't mind having managers that essentially do the same thing as their reports. Crossing my fingers for March, reviews are in for 2012 and manager is looking promising!

Oh and those SMART goals mentioned above are great. Just make sure you set achievable ones. No sense getting tied to something that you'll never complete. Currently working on setting my 2013 goals, definitely putting a lot of thought into that this year.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

DukAmok If you have no desire to manage people, then look for the leadership career path over the management one. I have seen people go down your path and become terrible managers. Maybe one day you will want that, but find the other path for now. I guarantee that regardless of what you do there is leadership possible as an individual contributor.

I would love to do that! I just don't know if it exists here. I started that conversation with my director when it came time for annual reviews, but she seemed to think that the only real advancement path was People Management. Given the big company HR, I'd believe it. Salary bands, maximum raises, these seem to be directly tied to job titles. I totally feel empowered and most definitely have a leadership role already, but it seems to me the only way to be compensated commensurately is through that title bump to Manager. If you can think of a better way to approach it I'm all ears, but so far my suggestions of creating new titles and such have been rebuffed by HR.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

DukAmok posted:

I would love to do that! I just don't know if it exists here. I started that conversation with my director when it came time for annual reviews, but she seemed to think that the only real advancement path was People Management. Given the big company HR, I'd believe it. Salary bands, maximum raises, these seem to be directly tied to job titles. I totally feel empowered and most definitely have a leadership role already, but it seems to me the only way to be compensated commensurately is through that title bump to Manager. If you can think of a better way to approach it I'm all ears, but so far my suggestions of creating new titles and such have been rebuffed by HR.

Just thought I'd update to inject some positivity in the thread. Got my promotion to Manager! Duties and responsibilities are essentially unchanged, but now if down the road I need to hire some people to help I can do so. For now though, it's purely a leadership style raise, which was precisely what I was going for.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

So the senior Web Developer in our company is leaving, which means I'll be taking over a lot of the front-end work and will be the sole front-end developer. I don't think they're going to hire anyone else to replace her/me and they'll probably be relying on our back-end guy to help out.

I'm underpaid for my position, but they hired me with basically very little front-end experience, but now that I'll be spear-heading everything I think I have room to ask for a significant raise when June comes around (we do salary reviews 2x a year in June and December). We're a small company of >50 people. I have goals of leading our coding practices to follow a dynamic path and to be more mobile friendly.

I'm pulling 32,000 right now. What would be a good raise amount? I was thinking around 35-36.

Also, I'm in the mid-West and a girl. People love to low-ball me it seems.

For a frontend developer job, they should probably close to double your current salary. However, it's highly unlikely they will double your salary. But ask for double anyway. Go in asking for ~$60k, bring some backup of salary surveys or whatever you can find that matches your new job description, but I wouldn't expect it to work. They'll probably hem and haw and end up offering you $35-40k, which you should take. Are you getting an updated title to reflect your new responsibilities? Push for that over monetary compensation, because you won't be planning on staying long.

Meanwhile, look for a new job using your new title, credentials, and responsibilities. When you get an offer and for whatever reason you've decided you still like this first job better, bring the offer to them and say you'd rather stay, they might offer more at this point. But conventional wisdom says that if you take this devil's deal you're on the short list to cut next, so you'll be looking for another gig soon enough anyway. Otherwise, just take the new gig and leave the old place with a smile and a wave.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Crazyweasel posted:

Hey folks just wanted to pop in and give some advice about salary negotiations. It still doesn't follow exactly what you should do, but its a bit encouraging I guess.

I just had a phone screen and at the end I was asked the "how much do you make and what are you looking for" question. I responded with a longer form of "I think that is something we can discuss if I get further in the process, what is the intended salary range?" I was told that they are hiring from technician to senior level and its based on experience, so he said it could be anywhere from 40k to 100k as well as a note that he wasn't trying to devalue me or anything. I responded that I was looking for 65k and that the number was dependent upon if I find out there are more responsibilities in an interview. Notice I steered the entire conversation away from the first question, "what do you make now?" Which truth be told is 30% less than what I should be making, so I got to avoid answering that question!

This sounds like the right way to go when you're trying to land the job. I'm assuming you're coming from maybe 30-50K but don't want to give that away if you're really worth closer to 65K, so nice work.

I had an interesting conversation with a recruiter yesterday, where I wasn't intent on landing the job at all, certainly changed the dynamic. Instead of dancing around I just stated the number it would take for me to move from my current job, and they said that was out of their range. No time wasted, when it wouldn't have been worth it to chase down.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Wagoneer posted:

Just got what felt like a "final" offer of $0.02 higher than the offer of $0.90 (math = $0.92). That's $0.08 below what I wanted. I'm not sure whether it's worth compromising or not. I would like to move out of my hometown and told myself I wouldn't stay for under $1.00, BUT... (and there's always a but) I'm not sure if I should get while the gettin' is good for my industry and just take the job or what. I'm not sure when I'm being petty about money and when I'm not.

Reading back, looks like your final jump would be from $0.75 now to $0.92 along with the title bump to Manager. You know better than I your feelings around current job and this job, but from my perspective, this seems like a no-brainer, take it. You're clearly underpaid and dissatisfied with your current position, and while you may end up underpaid at the new place as well, you may very well end up satisfied given the intangibles. At worst, you'll be stuck looking for another job in the not too distant future, but this time with a $0.92 base to work from, justifying even further growth. If there aren't any other clear externalities here, I say go for it.

Also maybe you should look into a better paying industry and move out of rural China where you don't have to quibble over 8 cents. I hear garment factories pay pretty well.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Wagoneer posted:

Everything is easier when you scale it from 1-100 (or 0-1). I was being facetious ;)

I actually really liked how you framed the percentages around your target salary, I think that's the right way to think about it. I think a lot of people (and companies) implicitly frame around their current salary, which is pretty useless when you're being underpaid. Whether or not you end up taking it, you've totally got the right approach, so more power to you bud!

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Reposting, since I never got any responses.

Any sort of analyst or "research" job. Play up the Matlab, science-y stuff, and your numbers skills. Those are really broadly applicable, you don't need to just apply them to chicken bones. Here's the first result I found for "Analyst" on Indeed, at Paramount pictures.

code:
Distribution Analyst - Home Media (3742) Los Angeles, California

Responsibilities to include, but not limited to:

*WB Transition – coordination and data prep
*One View forecasting model development
*Prepare Internal Weekly scorecard with key metrics for Distribution/Freight & Operations
*Hedway reporting resource
     -Run reports
     -Implement / Test new Hedway attributes
     -Analysis and data correction efforts
*Prepare monthly freight/distribution reporting and tracking
*Ad hoc special projects often requiring in-depth research and analysis
     -Cost analysis both customer and Technicolor
*Ad Hoc reporting, such as defectives shipped etc during recalls
*Manage 3rd party fulfillment of defective replacement programs
*Review, Track and Publish Tech’s operational goals / SLAs
*Provide back up support for Senior Manager Order Management
*Review of Returns log/investigate outstanding returns
As best I can tell you would be looking at spreadsheets of various freight distributions of DVDs, coming up with ways to track, model, and forecast those distributions, and generally be aware of any red flags that might crop up. I'd bet you've never thought about the way DVDs were shipped across the country, but I'd also bet you'd pick it up extremely quickly, numbers are just numbers.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

This is stuff I can do easy. I can do basically anything as long as you explain to me what it is I need to do. Thing is, they always ask for stuff like I WANT A BS IN MATH NUMBER ACCOUNTING CRONCHING and ALSO 3 YEARS EXP and that scares me off.

Like, I know that I can pretty much do anything with this degree - which makes it hard to figure out what I qualify for.

If they express any trepidation, feel free to suggest a work test. I don't have a degree in math number accounting crunching, but I was able to prove pretty handily in a work test that I was more than able to handle what they threw at me. Don't be scared by experience requirements either, that's obviously their ideal, but if they're not finding what they're looking for, I've seen more than a few places relax those "requirements" into "preferences".

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

JollyGreen posted:

What's the rule on providing code examples and whatnot to prospective employers. From a current position. I want to show off my talents, but resumes don't get you a job.

This is for a Database Analyst job. MS t-sql and poo poo.

I woudn't directly provide any current code from a current position, that could be construed negatively in a lot of different ways. I would maybe take one strong example and generalize it to talk about apples and oranges and stuff, something that wouldn't give away any internal business rules or logic, but still proves your programming/database competence.

For some positions, I think they will ask you for these kinds of examples, but in the case that they don't, I'd bring it up in an interview or a phone screen, something like "I'm happy to provide samples of my code for reference".

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Bloodbath posted:

I have checked Seek.com.au (seems to be Australia's most popular jobhunting site) and couldn't find a single job that didn't require previous experience or a degree..except for entry level office jobs :(

I'm in largely the same position as you. I never completed a degree, and started working full time when I was 19. However I've been able to move up pretty well at companies that I've been at, and I think companies like to see that. At this point I haven't even been asked about the degree in interviews or phone screens for new positions, and the last one made some noise about it but eventually gave me the offer anyway. I'm kind of in a quantitative type field, so a lot of companies will give a sort of competency test, and even in a qualitative field I've seen similar things, writing samples and the like. So don't get too worried about it, show personal career growth at companies you work at, and other ones will be beating down your door to hire you.

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Xovaan posted:

I just got my first job/internship as a market research analyst. They were impressed with my resume, but all of my experience comes from Stata and a lot of what they want me to do involves Excel. What's the easiest way to keep my head above water? The job mainly focuses around survey creation, implementation, and statistical inferences arising from results, but I'm also creating various forms for the company in Excel and have absolutely no idea where to start. Any good resources to brush myself up? :ohdear:

The SA Excel thread is a great resource for small questions, and otherwise I've used MrExcel.com as a general knowledge resource. Congratulations! Is it really a job, or an internship? I guess what I mean is, are you being paid? Hope so, and good luck :)

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Xovaan posted:

Man, indeed.com is depressing in my area. My contract/internship is about to come to an end here, and while I have job prospects at a family friend's software company as a market consultant, I really would like something more permanent as well.

What are my job options for post-graduation, post-internship positions with experience as a market researcher? Here's my linkedin if anybody is interested:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/sean-phillips/3b/11a/5a7

I really don't wanna move to the opposite coast to find work. :ohdear:

Just read through your post history in this thread, and I think you're falling victim to something I see pretty often in new grads, self-pigeonholing. Maybe it's something to do with the strict structuring of college classes and majors, whatever, enough amateur psychology. Market Researcher describes your experience, as you say, but that doesn't mean you should necessarily look for more Market Researcher jobs.

Your skill set is awesome, and you should feel awesome. As you may have realized, Stata, SPSS, R, and a BS in Econ are only sort of in demand, but the things they represent are in crazy high demand. You have the power to decode a bunch of numbers and spit out meaningful business decisions that can make companies money. This is crazy good! You just have to prove it. I recommend you look up Analyst gigs, this will let you flex your practical analysis muscles. You'll balance the need for total accuracy versus the need to do things quickly because there's always more to look at. If you get the feel for that, you can move into Analytics, Pricing, Operations, Marketing, hell even Sales depending on your taste. The base skill of judging a situation and knowing the right thing to do is priceless, and I think you're well positioned to take those roles.

That said, earlier in the thread you complained about a one hour commute to San Diego. If you really live that far out from an urban center that's basically what you can expect, small time places that rip you off. Honestly, making 10/hr for what it sounds like you're doing in Excel is way underpaid. Your company just probably isn't making that much money. That's fine though, you're building a base. An hour commute into San Diego sounds daunting, and I wouldn't want that either. I'd bet you don't have enough money saved up yet to plausibly move to the higher cost of living area down there either. I'd say go for those higher paying gigs in San Diego though, and if you can land one, re-do your cost/benefit analysis, and figure out if it really is worth your time to move slightly closer and pay slightly more. My hunch is you couldn't afford it if you got a 10/hr gig in SD. But my next guess is that you could handily afford a lifestyle upgrade if you managed to get an actual entry-level position, something like 35-40k.

edit: For something actionable, here's a search for San Diego analyst jobs that I'd bet has a salary floor somewhere north of $30k.

DukAmok fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 27, 2013

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

Mr_Schmoo posted:

I am also not a very Machiavellian person, so suggestions from anyone who is would be appreciated.

Well I most definitely am, by which I mean I've been fortunate enough to be in the same situation you're in. I had already accepted with Company A, and on my second day of work with them, Company B, which I had applied to months previously, requested another interview. It ended up working out with Company B within the week, and as soon as I had an offer in hand, I informed Company A. They considered counter-offering, but ended up just wishing me luck. I can't imagine it was a wonderful experience for them, and I felt pretty bad about it, but all in all I don't think they're holding a grudge. And from a personal and career development perspective, it was definitely the right move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DukAmok
Sep 21, 2006

ForeverSmug posted:

I've got a Bachelors in Graphic Design and a Masters in Art. I hate it and the thought of burning the rest of my life up doing that makes me sick.

My last job, technically a GA, was for two and a half years doing small-scale database work for a bunch of local schools.

Agreed with above poster, you'll definitely want to look into Analyst work. I'm currently looking for a Business Analyst and would love to find someone who can attack ungainly problems like extracting data from PDFs, as well as be able to present that data intuitively using visualizations. Toss in some programming and SQL knowledge, and you're a very strong candidate. Data analyst, business analyst, sales analyst, anything like that is probably right up your alley if you enjoyed that type of work you described for the school district.

Don't be hard on yourself, you're only 25. You've got plenty of prospects, keep your head up and try not to think in terms of what you have done, but what you can do. I mean that from the perspective of your past schooling, but similarly when looking for positions with companies. Companies you'd want to work for care far more about what you can do for them, and less about what you've done specifically in the past.