Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
When is it acceptable to start applying to new positions? I won't be out of my current contract until May 2016, and ideally would start somewhere in June or July 2016

I'm currently teaching in academia on a temporary-ish full time position in an engineering department. There's potential for my position becoming permanent but I'd (likely) have to apply and go through the hiring process anyways. While this is good for me because my salary would go up, there is the possibility that they'd find someone else for the job. e: and the job doesn't exist in the department yet.

The area I'm in is pretty rural so it's practically guaranteed that I'd be moving for whatever position I apply to and I don't want to get into a position where I have to move cross country, find an apartment, and start a new job in a 2 week time period.

As long as I put my start date appropriately, is it too early to start applying to potential jobs now?

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Your career is a journey, CEOs don't get there overnight.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Unsatisfied with career. What do I do?

I spend my days watching youtube videos of ranchers/farmers/homesteaders, dreaming of an outdoors life. I guess I'm having a mid-life crisis, I'm in my upper 30's. I just don't know what to do. I don't know if I could go back to an office job after working from home for so long. I should be grateful to my job, they are above average from the banks I have worked at before. I feel like I'm just wasting away with no goals. I'm basically living Office Space, except with a happy marriage.

Can't comment on career changes but just wanna suggest that you try to cut the youtube videos of that sort of stuff out of your life for a bit.

Just like any social media stuff it can really impact your day to day if you get into a weird space. Maybe try and schedule some outdoor time (within Covid regulations) and try to get out and about a bit.

That said, maybe you can try figuring out how to automate your job with python? What sort of things are you interested in? Are there other jobs at your bank you're interested in? If you had to go back to school for something, what would it be?

E: also you don't have to go 100% at something right away. Maybe you can start composting or something or growing herbs to scratch the itch.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 17, 2020

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
You already have a real development job though if you're developing apps and selling them.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Yeah my point was (and I should have included) that it's no reason to shortchange yourself. If you're getting 3x extra for your work you need to charge more because you are severely undervaluing your work.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Have you tried applying to research associate roles anywhere? Depending on what your prior lab experience looks like, biotech might be a good fit if you're interested in that. Not sure what the biotech / pharma scene looks like in NYC though.

Could also be that you absolutely hated the lab and I wouldn't recommend it if that's the case but your background is probably still relevant enough to get your foot in the door.

E: out of the lab since 2016 might be tough, but worth applying to companies I think.
E2: doesn't seem like there's much in NYC outside of hospitals. Regeneron is up in Tarrytown and there's a lot in NJ (Merck, BMS) but not sure if these qualify as evil for you're requirements. Definitely don't meet the NYC requirement.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 6, 2021

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Wasn't really thinking for clinical stuff to be honest. You absolutely do not need to finish your PhD though. There's plenty of non PhD positions available.

My mind was thinking something similar to this : RA in Cambridge MA

But like I was mentioning it's slim pickings in your area for this kind of work. Depending on what your skillset looked like there could be opportunities worth searching for with Research Associate or Associate Scientist titles.

Biopharmguy.com has an entry level board and company listings you might be interested in checking out. If you're interested in leveraging your mol.bio degree that is.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
What skills do you have that net you 150k but are only qualified for glorified janitorial positions?

What do you want to do?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Wang Commander posted:

Engineer on a container ship. Like engineering officer, not an actual degreed engineer. I like, work on the engines and equipment. I'm not sure what I want to do really, just something with less travel and preferably WFH eventually.

Gotcha. Hard to give any suggestions based upon what you've shared but people absolutely change careers all the time.

They go back to school at 45 and get a degree, take a lower position to break into a specific field, or do transitions within their current company to gain specific skills for their future.

With that said, it all depends on how badly you need to make your current salary. Family of 3 to support and a mortgage? Bit harder.

I think some things to look into might be related to your proximity to biotech. Maybe you'd be interested in laboratory ops? Field service engineering?

FSE would include travel but would likely be territory based and if you're close to a hub then you'd be home most nights.

Edit: totally possible to be flying all over the states though. Could be worse than what you do now.

Just some thoughts.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 7, 2022

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Might be too specific for this thread but wanted to get a gut check on a situation.

Recently had a reorg in my company, my separate business subunit (50ish people, highly specific R&D) got absorbed back into the main company with the "assurance" that our work is continuing.

I'm an individual contributor that fits in well with another group and my manager (director level) and I were merged into that other engineering group. I bring some new skills and experience so I'm not worried about being made redundant anymore than I have been.

Last week I found out that I'm moving under an individual that's a level above me (e.g. senior engineer 2 vs. my senior engineer 1), that reports to the director of that group. My former manager is now working alongside my skip-level boss without any reports.

My new manager has a similar education but ~3 years less experience post graduation.

Initially I was pretty pissed about all of this and felt like I was getting buried, been in this role for about 1.5 years and felt like my promotion potential just got flushed. Since we were so siloed from the main organization, nobody really has any idea what sort of work was accomplished so I'm pushing to bring that forward ASAP.

Any thoughts? Not much out there job wise but I did rage apply to a position the day I learned about the change. I assume my new manager may be title swapped to the "management track" sometime in the future but nothing has really been brought up about this.

This person could be a rockstar and everything will be fine but could use some tips on how to make sure I don't get buried and stagnate in my role.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Yeah, I did update it and actually sent it around to the new people above me. It was sort of requested by one person in that reporting line anyways.

I wasn't that concerned until chatting with a different former manager of mine who got pretty grumpy about it. Kneejerk reaction was that it felt like getting demoted in a way.

Obviously there are opportunities here. Sucks that it feels like a new job again though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Lockback posted:

The fact that your former manager is losing his reports means getting a new manager is probably for the best.

Senior 1 to Senior 2 usually takes more than 2 years, when do you think you're actually up for a promotion?

How many people report to your new guy?

Honestly I'd say keep an open mind and don't rage or have a lovely attitude and see how things shake out. If you get the bad vibes bail.

Yeah it was just me and him in the former business subunit, hiring freezes meant no additional headcount and then work wasn't really materializing outside of the projects I was handling.

I think he is mostly on his way out anyway so it was going to happen regardless from what I've been observing. I assumed I was going to report to my new skip-level if there was a change.

Not sure re: promotion. This position was a lateral move for more money so I probably have 3-4ish years in this sort of role. I think it'd be straightforward to get a bump by jumping.

My new manager has one current report and has been managing them for a year-ish from what I can see.

Definitely keeping an open mind. Appreciate the comments. Bit blindsided by the decision to place me where I am but like you said, just need to see how it shakes out.