Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

honestly saying junior

Na, no need to reduce it for that reason. I'm still getting used to this too, coming from academia. Like, you don't need to embellish (chief ontology officer), but a flag just to say hey guys I'm new is just letting your new guy insecurities have too much power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you want to take a year to travel or "travel" that shouldn't set you back.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

PowerBI/Tableau/viz software du jour

What's the advantage to these vs R/python etc? Just easier to learn, or is there functionality or compatibility stuff?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I get to do both, which is pretty great. Hustling butt at the bench I feel a lot more alive, but day after day it starts to wear you down. Sitting at a desk is a soul suck, but lets you recover and think about other things.

Can you do part time office work, and part time crisis counselor? The hard part might be finding the part time positions, but maybe it's out there

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

... keep your head on a swivel ...
...if you start getting bad vibes ...

Lockback posted:

make sure your plan B is ready to go.

It's cool how navigating a career has a lot in common with navigating a high risk activity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

sensenmann420 posted:

. Do you folks know any types of roles to shoot for that would suit my background and personality?

Dunno if this is helpful but the people I know with kinda similar background that found creative career path options and good work life balance work here

https://www.axiomdatascience.com/

Maybe there's keywords or something to follow on