Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I think I am in need of some advice.

I graduated college in 2012 with my BFA in Fibers/Textiles and immediately went to work in an unrelated field that I have lots of experience in but don't particularly like very much. It's starting to take it's toll on me and I've been looking at other positions related to my degree, but there's nothing in the area I'm in (Boston). I've been thinking of packing up and going to parts unknown - basically, other parts of the US for work. I found a LOT of positions I'd like to apply to in NYC, which I'm familiar with as I grew up in NJ, but I've also started looking along the west coast and have found a position or two that interests me. The thing is, I've never left the east coast before. I'd be basically applying for a job and hoping to move there without actually ever going to the place.

I did this before for college - I basically moved to Boston only having been here once before for a weekend to actually see the school. But a career is different in that I could be there for 5 years or 25 years for all I know. I'm not sure if this is really a good idea. I don't really want to relocate but if it's what I have to do, I'll do it. I know other people have done this before. Any regrets? Happy about it? Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

yoyomama posted:

More advice

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I would move after I land a position. There's no way in hell I'd move before I had a job lined up.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is this where we discuss how to ask for a raise or is there a better thread for that? I'm freaking out because I desperately need a raise after only working at my job for a year, but I make about average for the field I'm in.