Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Also Employer-abuse is some next level poo poo in other countries (and even in the US!), so he might be sincere when he says that this is a step up in QOL.

Glad you got out Covok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I work that schedule right now in a remote role. Luckily my manager has always been clear that that’s my time so I literally close the computer and then spend an hour having lunch and/or loving around.

I also get to take my lunch whenever which means I can finish any open tasks and then take a full hour when I’m ready to take advantage of it.

I can 100% see how in a less congenial environment and/or with a fixed lunch time it can easily become a stress source because your work won’t always line up neatly with that time, and if you end up working through your lunch hour you’re essentially working for free.

Also, a lovely manager will 100% try to be all “you need to be flexible and get your stuff done no matter what” or ping you constantly during lunch.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I was in a similar situation last year and had the same idea as you so here’s my takeaways, for whatever they’re worth:

1) Certs without actual coding experience and a portfolio/GitHub to back it up won’t do poo poo.

2) If you’re going down that road a Bootcamp might help you cover your experience gap a bit but it’s not a guarantee of anything and you’re still aiming for entry level jobs and competing with CS students and recent tech layoffs.

3) This one is personal but if you’re over 30 y/o old and with that much experience I would make an effort to identify an area within your field that is more in demand and get certs on that.

To give an example, I’m a foreign attorney with 10 years of experience but no US JD so I ended up taking some Project and Contract Management courses. Did I dream of becoming essentially a paralegal? Not really, but I needed a job and didn’t have the money or frankly the inclination to get an LLM. Those courses made me conversant in the jargon and resources that made me stand out in interviews, and from there I could leverage my existing experience.

All this for 1/3 the cost of the Bootcamp, and with less time commitment, which is a big deal when you’re also job searching full time.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I do work for a hedge fund (as a contractor) and a huge part of the contracts I review are NDAs where the fund gets pitched a fancy new model that claims to derive statistically significant conclusions from some otherwise useless source of data, and so the research team goes in, pokes around and determines whether it’s snake oil or the real deal, before the fund committing real money.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
When is a contract position worth considering? I've been approached by a couple of recruiters for 6-8 month contract roles that very sound interesting, but at the same time the idea of leaving my role (where I'm well regarded and have a decent amount of job security) for something with a definite end-date feels a bit daunting.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have a short call today so we’ll see.

Like a month ago I might have considered if the pay was at least somewhat better (once you factor in taxes and overhead) and the role was a good way to get experience and connections at an interesting company.

But now the situation at my spouse’s company has become too unstable right now to risk both of us having no health insurance if she gets fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

dpkg chopra posted:

I have a short call today so we’ll see.

Like a month ago I might have considered if the pay was at least somewhat better (once you factor in taxes and overhead) and the role was a good way to get experience and connections at an interesting company.

But now the situation at my spouse’s company has become too unstable right now to risk both of us having no health insurance if she gets fired.

Had the call. Best case scenario it would be a 25% pay bump and I would be a w2 for the staffing company (we didn’t discuss whether healthcare would be covered).

The role was interesting but not interesting enough for just a 6 month commitment. I think. I’d have to interview anyway and I figure interviewing is worth it even if I don’t take the offer if only to be in their radar.

Very annoying just offer me a job ffs.