Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Hey all, I could use some pointers on how to navigate a potential career pivot.

My ~15-year career up to this point has been entirely within the accounting/FP&A space, and for the last five years I've been at the level I see myself at long-term (individual contributing manager). I have an active CPA license, and I intend to keep it active because why not.

Over the last few years, I've picked up some Power BI development skills and implemented some very well-received data sources & reports as part of my FP&A work. It's honestly my favorite part of my job now, I like it more than all the other stuff that comes with accounting and FP&A. Power Query, DAX, all that crunchy stuff, give me more! I'm working on getting the Power BI Data Analyst Associate certification to formalize my skillset and unlearn some of the bad habits I picked up through self-teaching.

After getting that certification (and maybe some other ones), is it as simple as looking for 'Data Analyst' roles, or is there another job title that lines up with the Power BI work I'm looking to do? I'd like to stay adjacent to the accounting/FP&A space since my experience would be valuable in supporting teams that do that. I just don't want to be the one doing journal entries or budget variance analysis anymore. I've also considered Power BI consulting firms, but I did the public accounting thing at the start of my career and that put me off the whole contractor/billable hours lifestyle.

Honestly, the biggest challenge I've had so far in thinking about this pivot is figuring out, "Is what I want to do even its own thing, or is it always going to be folded into something else? If so, what words do I use to look for it?"

Paper Tiger fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Mustang posted:

Have you ever thought of finance jobs at tech companies? Specifically senior financial analyst or finance manager roles. I start as an SFA (having never worked in FP&A) at AWS in a couple weeks, and finance at tech companies seem to lean much more into the data analyst side of things.

Oh, good idea! I haven't specifically looked at that yet, but I live in the Seattle area so that would definitely be worth pursuing.