Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
I graduated with a humanities degree three years ago, with every intention of going on to law school. I hesitated due to general unrest in the field. Though I think I would enjoy legal work, I'm not looking to roll the dice on that sort of debt load just to have a shot at a super saturated field.

I also have a general interest in technology, and have been looking into online graduate programs(I may move in the next year or two), but I'm fairly certain that my background in computer science is far too shallow to jump in at that level. Would it be insane to get a second undergraduate degree? I could just stop listing my first degree once I start looking to change fields. I'm concerned that a computer science grad program will reasonably assume a level of prior knowledge that I just don't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Uranium 235 posted:

Counterpoint to the last few replies: I got a humanities/social science type of degree starting out, but decided I wanted to go into a technical medical profession. I went back to school and got second and third bachelor's degrees in physics and medical dosimetry. I had to take out student loans and go through 3 more years of school (just 3 due to having lots of prerequisites and core classes, and working really hard), but when I was finished, my starting salary was very high. I would do it again, no question.

Going back for another bachelor's degree can be a good idea like it was in my case, but I think it really depends on what you want to do. I'm sure there are tech jobs you can get that don't require a CS degree, but those jobs may not be what you are after.

I think the key for you will be deciding more specifically what you want to do professionally. Having general interest in technology is one thing, but would you be happy with any ol' tech job? I think it would be worthwhile to investigate some specific jobs/careers and see what kinds of qualifications are required for them. Think about what kind of quality of life you want to have, where you want to live, and how much money it will take to do those things. Do you want a flexible work schedule, or a straightforward 9-5? Do you want to be in a salary position, or wage? What kind of employer do you want to work for? Do you want to be in a business, medical, or casual environment? Do you have any aspirations to become a manager? I wouldn't recommend going back to school until you've answered these questions and you're sure it's necessary. It's hard work but if it lets you meet your goals, like it did for me, then it's worth every penny, every second, and every ounce of effort.

I would like to program. I like dicking around with code. I've got a decent handle on HTML, I'm trying to pick up Java, and I used to know C++ but have completely forgotten it. I'm mostly looking to improve my quality of life, I'm glad you brought that up. I make 45k now, but I'm not in love with my job. I haven't been in love with many jobs, and don't really see that in the cards if I want to live the sort of life I want financially, so that's not a huge factor for me. As long as my peers aren't cocks and my bosses aren't unreasonable I'll be okay with doing work I'm not super crazy about. I think I'd prefer a business or casual environment to a medical one, but I don't think this is a make-or-break thing for me. The pay, work/life balance, and peer group are all much more important considerations to me, probably in roughly that order. I don't have a preference as far as working in HTML or C# down the line, but I think a structured environment would really help me advance my knowledge more quickly.

I like having a set schedule, but it's not a major thing for me. I've worked third shifts and swing shifts and they're manageable for me. I wouldn't move from my current job, which I abhor, unless I was going to pull a decent salary. This is why I'm fairly certain I'll need to complete a second undergraduate degree if not a Master's. Basically, I'm looking to do some form of 9-5 salaried programming work.

ultrafilter posted:

You don't need a second bachelor's to go on to grad school, but applying based on what you've learned on the job is pretty much a waste of admissions fees. IMO, you need the rough equivalent of a minor in CS to really have a shot of getting in. Fortunately that level of coursework is pretty easy to complete online these days, so it's not an incredible burden.

I hadn't thought much about this but I'm going to look into it. I have tomorrow off, hopefully I can go bug a counselor at a nearby school. Thank you.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

ProFootballGuy posted:

The counterpoint to "wasting" a couple hundred bucks applying to grad programs is to spend tens of thousands and a year+ going back for formal classes at the undergrad level? Sheeeit. Do what you want but it's a loving stupid idea.

It's not like you're getting into MIT either way, why not spend a couple months studying the *insane* amount of free knowledge you can get online about programming/CS/tech subjects? Why not work in the field first to see if it's something you can even tolerate?

And you're not going to make big $ at a "9-5" programming job. You might make big $ in a "7 AM-10 PM" programming job.

Are there jobs available where I could make north of 50k per year without a degree related to computer science? I make decent money where I work now, which is why I would consider an investment in furthering my education might be worthwhile. I'm looking into it. That's why I'm seeking advice. I haven't come across any ways to break into tech or systems secruity or programming or what have you outside of trying to work IT for one of those places and wedge your way in by demonstrating competency, but I make too much now to really consider that. But if there's some other entry level position I hadn't considered let me know.

I'm not married to the idea of programming. Of all of the potential fields related to computer science, it's pretty much the only thing I have much tangible experience with. I've never dabbled in building or maintaining databases or network security. I would also be able to expose myself to more different applications of computer science in a formal education program.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

But I just want a job that pays a lot and I don't have to work that much is that so much to ask :mad:

Where did I say this? Some overtime is implicit in most full-time and especially most salaried positions. I understand that.

Fisticuffs fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 5, 2013

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

BossRighteous posted:

Some people can't seem to rationalize that 50k is big bucks to folks like us.

Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too if ~50k is an acceptable income level, though maybe not right away. I make 45+ bonuses at a graphic design/marketing house with no overtime demands in an amazingly fun environment.

It's possible to sort of wedge yourself into smaller businesses as a multi-tool. Knowing computer science to a lot of these smaller creative places makes you a demi-god and somewhat irreplaceable. If you can find other hats to wear it helps, since small firms may not have full time development needs. That's why I was pushing toward front-end developer. There is a certain culture present in creative production houses that appeals to me more than any programming heavy corporate role. I'll probably never break 55k here, but I am more stress-free than I ever thought possible. There is also a huge variety of jobs I take care of, so I never get into a rut or get burned out on long-term projects. Until I have kids, this is where I belong.

The set-back professionally is that I have no one to learn from, and no promotion capabilities. I can leverage my skills and dependability to get raises, but my actual income potential for the business is limited to about 60k at this point. The sheer variety of projects I am asked to spearhead keeps me sharp, but I don't really have a good mentor for organizational/process skill improvements.

I appreciate this response but I was trying to illustrate why I think pursuing further education is the best answer for what I'm looking to do, at least In some form. I already make 45k where I work now, but I don't see any advancement opportunities here. I would like to start a career in computer science, not just get a good job in the field(though I am trying to start with a good job in the field, which is another reason why I think I should go back to school).

School would take a while, but I feel like I'm spinning my wheels at my current job and will be for as long as I'm here. I won't starve in the meantime, the investment would be worth it if it enabled me to move to a field where I could conceivably make more money ten or twenty years down the line(I'm going to eventually get my masters in computer science either way).

Honestly I'm not certain what I'd like to do. I think I wouldn't mind programming, I'd like to be exposed to more applications of computer science as well.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Doghouse posted:

A lot of goons will tell you just to "learn it on your own." I'm not going to weigh in on that one way or the other. But there are definitely CS master's programs that non-CS majors - with little programming background - can do. UWG has one, for instance. Just FYI.

I'd be curious to hear your opinion if you have one. Or anyone else's for that matter. I definitely don't know everything; I'm looking for as much advice as you guys are willing to give me.

As for CS master's programs for non-CS majors... I am very, very interested in that. Is UWG supposed to be UWGB for Wisconsin-Green Bay? What school is that? If you knew the name of the program that would probably be helpful, as it could probably help me find other programs like it. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Shnooks posted:

I think I am in need of some advice.

I graduated college in 2012 with my BFA in Fibers/Textiles and immediately went to work in an unrelated field that I have lots of experience in but don't particularly like very much. It's starting to take it's toll on me and I've been looking at other positions related to my degree, but there's nothing in the area I'm in (Boston). I've been thinking of packing up and going to parts unknown - basically, other parts of the US for work. I found a LOT of positions I'd like to apply to in NYC, which I'm familiar with as I grew up in NJ, but I've also started looking along the west coast and have found a position or two that interests me. The thing is, I've never left the east coast before. I'd be basically applying for a job and hoping to move there without actually ever going to the place.

I did this before for college - I basically moved to Boston only having been here once before for a weekend to actually see the school. But a career is different in that I could be there for 5 years or 25 years for all I know. I'm not sure if this is really a good idea. I don't really want to relocate but if it's what I have to do, I'll do it. I know other people have done this before. Any regrets? Happy about it? Suggestions?

I don't have any experience in your industry but unless you have a sizable nest egg to sit on while you look for a job on the west coast this seems pretty tricky. I am trying to relocate out west and I keep getting tripped up in the application process by... the interviews I can't complete. I'm going to save up 6 month's rent/expenses, bite the bullet, and move without a job. That's what I'm going to do, I'm not sure how appealing that sounds to you.

If you were looking to work in NYC, it looks like you'd be able to arrange to interview there and secure employment without any gaps in your work history. And, if there are more competitors for employees, that's probably a stronger job market for you which should translate to better wages throughout your time there. But, again, I have no experience in your industry. From the way you laid it out moving out west sounds risky for you.