Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

To be clear, I don't want to go back to school, but I guess I will if I have to.

You don't definitely have to but even an associate's is going to give you more options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Does she know that you don't have supervisory experience?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Proust Malone posted:

What’s the thought about professional certificates for career changers? I have a bachelors degree in engineering but i graduated into the financial crisis and I never really used it. I’ve been a stay at home dad since and now that my kids are older I’m looking to go back to work.

The great algorithm is feeding me a bunch of ads for professional certificates in things that actually interest me, they’re from reputable sources, but they’re expensive. Seems like a good deal if I could get an employer to pay for it but alas.

Would the name of the institution (Berkeley, MIT, etc) be worth the price of admission or are they fishing for rich foreign students?

There’s always an actual MS program at the local state school

The state school program is probably your best bet. Some of those certificates aren't bad but some are and it's hard to sort out which are which.

skylined! posted:

Looking for advice, encouragement, etc. I am a contract food service general manager making about $103k a year, hating this industry after over a decade climbing the ladder, ready to move on. I want to work in the climate change field (reducing it not encouraging it). Government, NPO or private sector are all fine. I have transferrable skills developed in this industry but no certificates or degrees specifically in ecology, environmental science, etc.

I finished a Master's of Public Admin recently to help with the career transition but am kinda lost. I have a BA in English/creative writing. Interested in research, policy writing, grant writing, solar policy initiatives, anything that gets me outside as well. I am open to almost anything. I was hoping to get more out of my MPA program including some connections (and was hoping for the civillian climate corps legislation to pass...) which never manifested. Open to remote and/or some travel.

My current job is fairly stable but dependent upon my client's decisions, easy enough, M-F no travel. I can take about a $35k/year pay cut if there's opportunity to increase over time, partially dependent upon what happens with my wife's career in the next 4-6 months (potential job switch, pay raise, move incoming).

Talk to the career offices at the schools you've graduated from. They can help.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

What do you do now?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

R and Python both have excellent graphics capabilities but the learning curve is steeper than Tableau or PowerBI.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Social work can offer a mix of field and desk work, but the degrees you need to do it can be expensive. It might be worth looking into.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

On the other hand the demand for translators has plummeted since Google Translate and similar services were released. There are still jobs in the field, but they're a lot more limited than they were 10-15 years ago. These things take time but they do happen.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The YOSPOS interviewing thread has a bunch of questions they recommend to ask if posters are thinking about joining a startup. Their list is developer-oriented but there's a lot there you can either use or adapt.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Pretty much everyone is on LinkedIn nowadays. It's not a signal that you're looking for a job.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

A bunch of my friends are getting burned out in their professions. Different friends in their mid thirties who have been in tech for a decade have been telling them that they could totally make the jump to coding. And make $$$ in relatively short time.

Is this plausible anymore? I am skeptical that a mid thirties person who only had a few coursera certificates and maybe a dozen little projects on their GitHub could meaningfully compete with new CS college kids or more experienced programmers who were in the recent layoffs.

Seems like the gold rush of anybody being able to get a tech job for massive money is over?

The tech job market of the 2010s was driven largely by low real interest rates. Now that that's over, hiring has slowed way down and everyone's getting pickier about who they hire. That, combined with the large number of senior people who have recently entered the job market, mean that it's a rough time to be looking for an entry-level job.

Some of those factors are temporary, though. The job market isn't even as rough as it was back in February, and it'll probably keep improving as the churn from the layoffs dies down further. Interest rates are high now but they won't be high forever. On the other hand, there's been a huge spike in the number of CS degrees awarded in the last few years, and that probably is going to depress the market for people without those degrees for a while. It's not going to take effect for a little while because those people are still junior, but yeah, long term we probably won't see anything like the last decade or so for a while.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's a newbie programmer thread over in CoC that's as good a place as any to start.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's very little upside to doing a second master's degree. If you can get it fully funded then there's a lot less downside, but it's still a big time commitment.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Tech leadership is all about managing across but that's pretty distinct from sales or marketing. The specifics vary a lot by organization, so experiences from other people elsewhere may not tell you much.

IMO, if you have a boss who supports your career growth, they're worth following.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

How much does industry specific experience matter for running an HR org? I honestly have no idea.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Epitope posted:

It's cool how navigating a career has a lot in common with navigating a high risk activity

:capitalism:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

How do you feel about staying in defense vs. trying out other industries?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

So of course your options depend on where you are. Connecticut has a lot of insurance companies, particularly in the Hartford area, and if you're near NYC you have the option of commuting down there where there are a ton of finance jobs. Outside of those two areas, there are options, but you don't really have the same concentration.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

At that seniority you can probably expect relocation assistance.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I have two friends with MFAs. One is a public school teacher and the other runs an analytics team at a bank. I don't think either of them would've expected to end up where they are now, but that's the way the career path works out.

The academic job market is terrible and you're probably not going to get a job there. That's no slight against you; it's just how the odds are.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Lockback posted:

I'm sure there's stuff that will be specific to History but for me the biggest advantage here is you have a piece of paper that says you were able to write complex essays, pass tough tests, explain complex and sometimes isoteric things, etc. Those are all good skills. So what other skills do you have that you can combine with that piece of paper?

This is the right way to think of education. It's not about what you studied; it's about the skills you developed as part of your degree. List those out, look for jobs that want those skills, and figure out how to illustrate what you can do on a resume.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Do you have the option of doing a postdoc to try to broaden your experience and network?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Theoretically yes, but

A) I'd prefer to not have to take a temp position and do this whole process (and move) again next year

B) I think postdocs are a tremendous racket and rather not sign up for it

The postdoc system is bullshit for sure. It also might be your best bet for finding a job.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There are people who like doing contract work because it doesn't tie them to a specific company, but honestly if you don't immediately come up with that on your own you're probably not one of them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Mr Newsman posted:

Since we were so siloed from the main organization, nobody really has any idea what sort of work was accomplished so I'm pushing to bring that forward ASAP.

This is what really jumps out at me. You're doing the right thing by building awareness of what your group's been doing recently. I wouldn't start applying for new jobs seriously just yet based on what you've posted but having an up-to-date resume never hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Gucci Loafers posted:

I've been on the hunt since February looking around LA which has got me nothing and I've almost landed a decent offer, but it’s all the way on the East Coast, where I have no friends or family. The job is near NYC which is kind of cool but I'm older, don't really care about making new friends now that I'm older and it's still an hour away. It does pays well (TC >$120k/y), lines up well with my skillset and I work on hot tech stuff where I will learn a lot and could use anywhere else in the future.

$120k/year isn't that high in NYC and its environs. Do some research on what you'd actually be able to afford.