Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I am not sure if this quite belongs here, but I figured it wasn't big enough to warrant a thread.

It occurred to me today after I was called about a position I applied for and offered a call center job for them that paid half as much.

I am thoroughly, completely and utterly burned out on call center work. I am tired of phones and it is affecting my health. I don't want to be a big baby about it, but it is slowly eating away at me. I'm tired of people wishing death on me and am completely burned out on service.

Unfortunately, I have several years of call center experience.

I've been using functional resumes and trying to emphasize transferable skills, but is there any other advice for escaping call center work? I don't want to be a lifer in a call center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Well. I've done support as a tech support for DSL and a school campus (windows, SAP, academic software, Banner). I also did support as a managed services help desk person and we worked with Siebel, some oracle, AT&T inventory management and a few other things. I know I've been working at going into an entry level biology job since I am only a few credits short of an Aquatic Biology degree.

Right now, it's just repetitive, I'm tired of phones on the whole (my voice is shot anymore) and I wouldn't even mind a quiet data entry or administrative position for the time being.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I don't know if this is the best place for it, and I can move it or start my own thread.

When should I start job hunting? My Master's course ends in October (so I know if I have a diploma or not around then...), and unlike my first degree, I'd like not to screw this up and wait until the last minute. I'm wondering if now is too soon or what I can do. Since it's Marine Biology, I realize it's a pretty competitive field and that USA jobs tends to be slow to get back to you.

The thing is, I have a small fund for employability skills (Learn to drive a boat, etc) and will be doing a volunteer work placement for a month instead of a trip to a coral reef. My resume wouldn't be entirely up to date (Or my CV - we're required to make one and why not. If I end up working and staying in the UK, that's quite alright by me).

I just don't want to end up in a call center again. :( I don't even mind doing non-call center IT, but since I'll have a Master's I would like something in my field.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

So, I have an MSc in Tropical Marine Biology.

But I have not been medically cleared to SCUBA dive, and the last GP I went to said no on it due to asthma. I'm noticing a lot of aquarium related jobs require scuba certification. Should I go ahead and apply for these jobs or accept that it wasn't meant to be? :/

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Xandu posted:

I don't know anything about marine biology, but I think you need to ask yourself if it's an essential part of the job. If it is and there's no way around that, then maybe it's not meant to be. If it's a minor part of the job or you think it could otherwise be worked around, then it doesn't seem unreasonable for them to accommodate you on that since you're otherwise qualified and it is a medical issue. If you do apply, let them bring it up, don't shoot yourself in the foot by opening your cover letter with "I'm not SCUBA certified."

It seems for a lot of the large/public aquaria, yeah, it is. It seems to be in most of their DEFINITE MUSTHAVES section. I'll probably put in for the ones where it's nice but not necessary and skip the ones where it's considered vital. It's kind of a bummer, but that's how it goes, I guess. There's a nice surveying/testing job I might go in for.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I'd like to work with culturing algae or working in the ornamental fish industry. I'm pretty open, but do people have advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Any suggestions to keep relevant skills while I am stuck in retail? I am working on some of those MOOC type things (stats, biology, etc to keep my brain sharp), and I have a linked in set up with a few groups joined. I just don't want to end up a lifer in retail because I spent too long outside of aquatic and marine biology.

I'd like to either work in the ornamental livestock industry or in research. Just - no more retail or call centers, please.