Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Hey All, just looking for some general thoughts on a niche career.

For the last 10 years, I've worked with a specialty construction company for Museums. I work in the Audio-Visual portion, and that means my day-to-day skillset encompasses typical AV, lighting, control systems, interfacing with mechanicals, and arduino programming. A year ago, I received an offer to interview with a company adjacent to my industry, but I didn't really like the location or the pitch... but it got me thinking. So, I told my boss, hey, I'd like to move up or move out, I'll stay till this particular Children's Museum is complete, but after that no promises.

Well, that time is nearing, and there's been no discussion of moving up. Honestly, even if they did, I don't know that I want it. I don't like upper management at my company, and I feel pretty disrespected over this not being taken seriously. Things have been more chaotic and messy than ever, I'm working too much overtime. My wife and I want to move closer to home, so I'm seeking out some options.

One was a cold-email - a company a little smaller than where I am, but well-established. They weren't actively hiring for a role like mine... but they pretty quickly emailed me back. From teh interview, they see me as an opportunity they could take on for growth. The culture seems much healthier, and the work seems fun. They don't really have a formal department for the type of work I do, just a handful of people that do it when needed. This could be an opportunity to build something with them and become the more managerial role I seek, long term.

I've received an offer, but it's less than I'd like.

I currently run at about $32/Hr. Last year my income was around $76000.
This job, in Chicago, is offering me $35/hr. According to calculators, I'm seeing Chicago is about 8% higher cost to live in vs Nashville, where I currently am, and this is about a 9% raise. However, I also need to worry about State taxes now (TN doesn't do income tax, only sales tax). This place tries to do less overtime.... which is good, and part of what I'm seeking, but I really don't want to risk a dip in pay when moving.

I've asked some followup questions about how often overtime is seen, some details about travel rates (they pay more during travel, but I can't tell if that's in addition to per diem or without it) etc. Even if I work half the overtime I did last year (only 130 hours instead of 260), I end up pretty close to where I am now, maybe more-ish.

I've also of course asked about some more details, but I'd like to get some advice here on how to negotiate further. Maybe what I'm writing here is to vague or too scatterbrained, but what say you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
ah poo poo I had both threads open and posted in the wrong one. sorry!