Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Generally speaking, when is it appropriate to ask for a raise? My last raise was in January, but I didn't ask for it. I was thinking of giving it a shot come July.

I'm a technical writer at a manufacturing company. I make an hourly wage. I have a B.A., and this is my first job since graduating where I've had a chance to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

People where I work don't even get raises yearly, heck for some it has been 4-5 years. Seriously. If they do regular raises where you work, go on that schedule. If I just got a raise in January I would still be thankful in December.

I'm sure there are people who get raises every six months, so you might be in a different situation.

As for when it is appropriate: when you are clearly making a contribution to the business above the level and/or pay grade is a pretty good time.

I have absolutely no idea when other folks get raises. I've technically been contracting for the old guy who owns the company since January, so I don't know who to ask about pay precedents.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Not sure if this could lead to a different career path, but it might. My boss of two months (he "recruited" me from another team) is jumping ship to a smaller, but growing, and less TPS company. In our last conversation, he said that he'd be building the team from scratch, and that he'd miss competent people like me. Now, this wasn't said in once sentence, but I still see it as an opportunity. Any ideas on how to tactfully convey my willingness to go along with him?

Are you on a friendly, first-name basis with him? Then simply ask him what you can do for him at his new company during your next conversation. If you don't expect to just bump into him, invite him to lunch.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

This is absolutely true. Job hunting with a year or two of experience is radically different from job hunting fresh out of school.

I'm glad for this bit of validation. I told my parents I wanted to buckle down for a year with this entry-level writing job I scored, but all I got for it was raised eyebrows. Three months into this job, they were pushing me to look for another. Well, screw 'em; I'm sick of my Swiss cheese resume. Damned old folks make no sense sometimes.

Now, the one year mark is coming up in November, and I would really like to transplant myself to a new city sometime afterward. I currently live in New Hampshire, but I'd like to move to the Portland or Seattle areas to get a taste of another part of the country. Is applying to jobs in faraway cities any different from applying within driving distance? How can I get my foot in the door and meet people in cities I've never visited? Are Skype and phone calls acceptable mediums for job interviews? Etc.

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 25, 2013

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

The company I work for offers a TAP for certain college majors. Because I've been working for them through a staffing agency up until now, I haven't been able to investigate the specifics of this program.

Right now, there's one thing in particular that I'm interested in knowing: How long do employers typically expect you to stay with the company after you graduate? Can anyone give me an example?

Raimundus fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 15, 2014