Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I thought maybe I'd made a post like this before, but maybe I just decided not to when I couldn't find a place to post it. I only just noticed this thread.

I don't want to get all E/N, but suffice it to say I am 30 and I need a new gig. My problem is that while I like working and I am not lazy, I have no specific work related aspirations (except totally unrealistic hopes that I cannot alleviate myself of, such as 'become a novelist' ).

So rather than go over a long and boring story or try to think of every relevant detail or work experience and job skills to post here, I want to approach this differently. Can anyone recommend some means that I could use to aid me in determining what I should be doing in some rudimentary way? Like, a book, webpage, questionnaire, advice counseling, or whatever form of information there is out there. My googling hasn't gotten me much besides asinine listicles. Even if good help is out there, I certainly don't expect wonders, but I hope something like that can point me in a direction which I can then assess the merits of at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Thanks for all the responses.

zmcnulty posted:

What Color is Your Parachute

If I can figure out how to buy this on Amazon and read this on my tablet, I will give this a look. Not big on self-help, but this seems to have been taken through its paces.

johnny sack posted:

Try finding job positions in related fields but different from what you're doing. For example, I have an MS in molecular biology. I've done neurological genetics on fruit flies, heart research on rats, and am now calibrating physical instruments such as torque wrenches, force gauges, and thermometers. I like this gig the best and it's quite different from where I thought I'd be.

With a degree in philosophy and work experience in telephone customer service and data entry/administration, I'm not sure where that puts me. I've been trying to parlay it into regular administrative work or maybe human resources, but no dice so far.

moana posted:

It's only unrealistic if you plan on not working hard.

That is moderately encouraging. Normally I say that 'hope' is a dirty four-letter word, but maybe I should entertain the idea. Then again, I haven't written in 6 years (since working full time an hour away from home) so who knows if I still actually have the desire or if I just idolize the idea. Then again, I spend almost all my slow time brainstorming. Maybe I should get some low pressure, low pay job close to home so I have time and energy again, or maybe set aside a few weekends to see if I can even get anything out.

Any specific advice for that path? (I will accept 'Don't.')

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Since my last post, I have changed from existential malaise to needing to get the gently caress out of my current job. I am one of exceedingly few people who still gives a poo poo, and my direct supervisor is actually giving me poo poo because I work hard and care. No, I'm not lying or exaggerating. Suffice it to say, I need out. I'll worry about a real career later.

I've done telephone customer service (grief mop / ablative armor) and administration (beep boop I am a drone). I don't find much in my searches, and I'm wondering if I'm using the wrong terms. Is there a better word for a job where you sit at a computer and commit impersonal drudgery? "Data entry" is flooded with thousands of garbage/possible-scam entries on most sites. I also look under "administration" "human resources assistant" and "assistant project management" for fields I might try to see if I can slide into with little success.

Is there some sort of secret search engine fu or trends in job titles that I'm missing out on?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I didn't see a better spot to ask.

I've been avoiding temp-to-hire because I don't want to end up with no job, as I currently have one. But over the last few days I have considered quitting outright, so I suppose I don't really need to worry about that. Googling it seems to say the obvious, "It's getting more and more popular with companies, and can be a risk, since you could end up unemployed, but it's up to you if it's worth taking."

So, I'm just checking: do temp-to-perms actually work out? Or is it some sort of big scam where you never get hired and everyone just pretends in some sort of Bokononist ritual? Because that's how I imagine it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I'm a software developer trying to get out of my current gig. After about 3 months of looking and two deep candidacies ending in failure (one entirely outside of my control due to economic poo poo), my current work continues to become more and more dysfunctional and I am feeling pretty rundown from about a year of pretty high stress.

I am considering quitting without something else lined up first. I should have plenty of money to last a while, so I am wondering about the career implications, tactics of this decision, etc particularly how it might be thought of differently in the 2020s rather than from boomers stuck in the 1980s, how to spin it in future interviews, etc. I know the economic situation looks pretty bad RN, but I am starting to get concerned for my long-term health.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I've only been a part of a few hirings, but all I was checking on LinkedIn was if someone was sharing nazi / white supremacist poo poo on there. No candidate has so far, but I have had to remove 3 old contacts because of that, which is why I check.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Here's another way to look at it:

If she's wrong, then you're hireable and you should keep looking.
If she's right, then your hireability isn't changing anytime soon. That means searching now is as good as searching later and you should keep looking.

Besides, if some boomer is going to not hire you because you left one job five years ago after less than a year, you don't want to work there anyway. gently caress that dinosaur poo poo.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Seraphiel posted:

Looong story short, but at a COMPLETE loss. [LONG].

This may be stating the obvious but: If you have a degree in Artificial Intelligence, even without existing coding skills, perhaps you could brush up on some modern AI stuff to pivot into an individual contributor role for some application of AI in the tech world? It's the scorching hot buzzword of the moment, but who knows if it will remain that way if it will take years to train to this point (though I think it is less likely the bottom will fall out as it did with crypto/nfts/metaverses/etc). They could see the degree and just roll with it.

Or is this "Artificial Intelligence" different than the modern computer concept of genetic algorithms, NEAT, and local maxima?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

96 spacejam posted:

I've been hammering Linkedin hard. What other career sites should one be using in 2023? Is there any tips for the above?

As a job seeker, the only non-industry/non-trade specific sites I have found to be worth a drat are LinkedIn, Indeed and ZipRecruiter and even then the latter two are only sometimes okay. I also discovered Otta, which is startup-specific, and is okay, though I haven't gotten a bite there. Every time I check elsewhere or use a search engine, it's a loving horror show out there. So many stupid loving websites that want me to sign up and then they're just pointing to some other loving barnacle on the rear end of the economy.

I'd happily welcome any other suggestions.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

nwin posted:

Just secret

Okay, but here's the big question your employers will probably start asking: do you play War Thunder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

sensenmann420 posted:

This has had me thinking. Do you folks know any types of roles to shoot for that would suit my background and personality?

It's extremely facile to suggest, but maybe a pivot to proper Artifical Intelligence? I believe it's still a hot market even in the current contraction, though there's also a lot of hype and smoke and baloneymeisters. If you have Python experience and a mathematical/philosophical background, it's my understanding that's a reasonable portion of it. I don't know if the boots-on-the-ground work would keep you from becoming bored though.