Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
If the aspects of your current job that you don't like are generally a part of the geologist career path and not of the specific job itself, then yes, a career change would be good if the whole path would make you miserable. However, if it's just the job, but there are other jobs at your company or in your field you'd like to do, then try to stick it out and find a new job that better fits what you're looking for. Going to work in retail is not going to make you happy if that's not what you ultimately want. You're proposing a very large and broad change for a very specific problem, but you're trading one set of immediate problems for a set of unknown ones.

It seems like you want to stay in this career path but just hate this job, so find a new job, and that's easiest to do when you have a job. Interviewing for another geologist job will be much easier now when you say "I'm looking for a job with less travel", as opposed to 1-10 years from now when you're tired of the retail management job (and maybe got stuck there after wanting to leave earlier) and you try to say "I'm looking to get back into my old career path" and you're competing with others that have more related experience and fresher knowledge.

I know you're itching to get out of this job, but don't let that desperation make you jump ship for anything but what you have now. Look for the job that you want; you have the resources and you look all the better to employers as someone who's employed. There's no "dream job", but take the time to find what you like, and you'd be surprised how much more bearable your current job is when you make an exit plan, so you don't feel as trapped. There's nothing like regretting a decision made in desperation. You have have more control in this situation than you think, so utilize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
I've looked up resources online, but I was wondering if anyone could give me info on ux/ui career paths. I'm thinking of making the switch from what I do now (social science research), and wanted to get a better sense of what it's like. I know I'd need a portfolio, and that having technical know-how about programming, etc. would be helpful, but is there anything else culture-wise? From all of the blogs I've read, people in the field seem to be enthusiastic about where they'll place that OK button on the confirmation screen, but I don't know if that enthusiasm is universal (or if I'd share it). I'd be enthusiastic about researching related to user experience, but I also know that doesn't always happen as often in the design process due to budget and time restraints.

Sorry to be so vague, but I guess I want an idea of what the day-to-day is like, salary, etc., just to see if it would be a good fit with my background and personality.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

sim posted:

I'm a UI Engineer, so I don't do much designing, but I am involved in that process. You're right that for most companies, UX testing is only "if we have budget/time and the CEO actually questions his own decisions". But, there are companies that do nothing but UX testing on contract for other businesses. So if you end up working at one of these, you'll do it constantly. Early on in the design process, there's a lot more research into the types of users, the goals of the project, etc. But towards the end, yes it is lots of discussion about just where exactly and what color that OK button should be.

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely look up some more info on UX testing companies.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Shnooks posted:

I think I am in need of some advice.

I graduated college in 2012 with my BFA in Fibers/Textiles and immediately went to work in an unrelated field that I have lots of experience in but don't particularly like very much. It's starting to take it's toll on me and I've been looking at other positions related to my degree, but there's nothing in the area I'm in (Boston). I've been thinking of packing up and going to parts unknown - basically, other parts of the US for work. I found a LOT of positions I'd like to apply to in NYC, which I'm familiar with as I grew up in NJ, but I've also started looking along the west coast and have found a position or two that interests me. The thing is, I've never left the east coast before. I'd be basically applying for a job and hoping to move there without actually ever going to the place.

I did this before for college - I basically moved to Boston only having been here once before for a weekend to actually see the school. But a career is different in that I could be there for 5 years or 25 years for all I know. I'm not sure if this is really a good idea. I don't really want to relocate but if it's what I have to do, I'll do it. I know other people have done this before. Any regrets? Happy about it? Suggestions?

If you're young AND have enough savings, you can try out moving to another coast. If not, I;d say find a friend and crash with them for a while and use their address on resumes while you find a job. Get a quick job to land on your feet (working in a restaurant, or any other place where hiring goes quickly), and then see if you like it. Best way to get a job is to have a job, after all.

No matter what you do, have a backup plan. If you don't like it, you don't want to be stuck. Know what you'll do if it works out AND if it doesn't, whether it's because you don't find a job you like or you end up hating the weather/earthquakes.

Or, if you can find it, find a job at a place in Boston that has a branch in CA and see if you'd get a transfer. If they don't, take the money you save and move; if they do, then free quick way to move to sunny CA :)

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

I hire people like this sort of profile as entry level researchers, but you'd have to be in the NYC area. Most of the data analyst jobs out there are for finance with some marketing. If you're interested in public policy like I am though, the best options are consulting-ish firms like Mathematica or MDRC. If by chance that's what you're interested in I'm happy to talk, otherwise search for jobs with titles like "analyst" or "research", and skills like VBA, vlookup, STATA, etc...

There's probably some low hanging fruit for you. Learn vlookup and pivot tables for Excel like your life depends on it, and learn basic SQL queries (pretty much know what SELECT, INNER JOIN, and WHERE do.) Those are both pretty easy to learn but very useful and in demand.

Don't mean to highjack, but I'd be happy to hear what more you'd have to say about having a career in public policy research, necessary and/or in-demand skills and background, good companies to apply to, etc. If you don't feel like posting something in general here, I'd be happy to send you an email or PM with specific questions.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

You can post specific questions, I'lltry to keep them here in public unless necessary. I work as a data analyst/researcher for a government contractor that also works with a lot of non-profits/think tanks, but as you can imagine things are very incestuous. I mainly work in operations, but my policy bonafides are pretty strong and I've been angling to move more in that direction. Mine is more of a small shop, so I've very often had to do IT administrative/IT support roles even though it's not my job at all. It's a good way though to ingratiate yourself in with upper management and/or get face time with clients.

Thanks a ton, then here are my questions, based mostly on wanting to know more about the field:

-What are the big-name/top public and social policy research companies? I do social policy research for my job, but I haven't been doing it long, so I don't know a ton about the field (though I'm learning a lot over time).

-What are the usual locations (in the U.S.) where most companies are based? I'm thinking NYC, Boston, SF, and D.C., but I don't know if that's an exhaustive list.

-What current skills are most in-demand or the "hot new thing"? Right now, most of my job involves a lot less analysis and a lot more project management. I'm wondering if skills in programming, web dev, or even knowledge of using social media in research will be valuable to develop long-term and have on a resume. You mentioned Excel skills, which I've been building, along with knowledge of statistical software, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I'm missing.

-As someone who's as interested in what's done with the data as much as collecting it, are there any orgs that focus on both research and advocacy? My company only focuses on data collection, but I'm wondering if that's common or not.

-In what kinds of directions can people go in this field? My current job focuses a lot of project management and analysis, but I'm wondering if there are other main areas I could branch out into. Of course it'll differ by company, but I guess I'm just wondering what positions and career paths are common.

Sorry for the ton of questions, and thanks again.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

tons of useful info

Thanks so much, this is definitely helpful. It also confirms that I need to beef up on more technical skills if I really want to move forward on this career path. I'd be happy to send you my info, thanks for offering; what email address would you like me to send it to?

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

Can you PM me a link to a resume, save it on a Google drive or something like that?

Sure, no problem, I just sent you a PM with a Google drive link. Thanks!

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Xovaan posted:

I'm in the same boat as Bread. Well, kind of.

I'm at a paid internship working 40 hours a week as a market research analyst. I only make $10/hour, which is fine as it's my first real job outside of college, but I'm wondering how much experience is necessary before I actually can start to accrue a, well, living wage. I know I have it lucky being able to have a paid internship right out of college but my contract is almost up and from what I hear they won't have any open positions for me because they see no need for a research analyst and say I'm too new to the industry. Well, one person, but he's the COO-- every department I meet with says they need to create my department and have me in it since the work I'm doing is excellent.

I've developed state and county-level demographic libraries for many facets of the industry I work in and have been helping spearhead a lot of changes to the way our customer support staff connects with clients, including creating framework for surveys and assisting in creating automated customer retention programs in ClickDimensions and remapping of the territories our sales team targets to be more in-line with the quotas pressed on them. I've also done barometric research into how much presence we have in the US market with great results. I think my biggest weakpoint is that the job hasn't required me to do any quantitative statistic research in SPSS or Stata but I'm pretty much an Excel wizard now so I guess that's worth its weight?

"Median" for my area (SoCal) is 60-70k/year but even the bottom 10% is 30k a year, which is 50% more than I make right now. I just am kind of at a loss as to what to do since I don't have any bargaining power but at the same time I don't want to commute two hours total per day to San Diego in traffic. :geno: Is my job even classified as "market research"? What are my best options for employment?

Edit: forgot to say, yes it sounds like you do market research. I've found that the term is used pretty broadly, actually, not just for research about consumers for a commercial business.

I am no expert in this field, but it looks like you have the skills needed to get a job in the field. I'm not sure which area of market research you're in, but excel skills are always useful. You can learn spss or stata on the job or on your own if you want to self-study. If the internship was for a good amount of time, especially if it's full time, then that will count well for your experience. It honestly sounds more like an entry level position, from your description. Just make sure to put those details in your cover letter.

I'd say to look up research assistant/associate jobs in survey research companies, if you've been working with surveys. Places I can think of are NORC, Westat, and maybe some of the places listed on the Honomichl ratings. Maybe also places like Pew. I'd suggest this since a lot of the tasks you mention sound a lot like what it done for sampling for surveys (looking at demographics and geography). Places that do a lot of field and/or phone surveys would like skills like that (that said, this is far from my area of expertise, but it may be something to look into). You don't sound like you're unqualified, you sound like you have the skills for entry level positions, though I know nothing about your education background.

With that said, while wages in market research aren't usually very high, you should be able to find something working with data for a decent wage at entry level (def more than 10/hour).

I give this info with the caveat that I don't know what the job market specifically looks like for market research jobs. You can look into jobs that work with data collection and see if you find anything (including survey research, nonprofit social science research [which often falls under market research when for-profit], financial research, user research for software, etc.).

yoyomama fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 22, 2013

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Xovaan posted:

I have a good amount of experience with quantitative research using Stata in economics (BS Econ major) and my job has me looking at workforce and industry analysis reports and interpreting them for higher-ups to figure out methods of identifying and capturing market share. I wouldn't say my skills are entirely entry level but I agree that the work I'm doing is entry level (I really wish they'd give me more to do). As long as I'm making more than minimum wage I'm happy. :)

Well with that info I have a clearer picture. In that case, yeah I would say you can get a mid-level/non-entry level type position. The biggest factor would be your overall work experience, but the quality of your experience is high, so I wouldn't worry too much. I've seen a lot of positions posted looking for your skills and education (granted I've looked on the east coast); there should be jobs out there that will have good salaries.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
What I've heard is that it's a bad idea: http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2012/03/26/why-you-shouldnt-take-a-counteroffer

I know some people suggest it, but I've never gotten the logic of "maybe if I tell my employer to give me more money or I leave, they'll totally love me and give me more money and never fire me of course".

It's much better to ask for a raise by showing how much value you're offering, showing how you're paid under market rate, etc. That said, the best way to make more money would be to take the job offer. Nowadays it takes getting a new job to get a decent bump in pay.

For what it's worth, way the pros and cons of asking. You don't want to risk souring your relationship with your current employer, but you know them better than I do. If you think the money would be there to even give you the raise and they'd actually consider it, you can see if you want to ask for it (possibly without even mentioning the offer you have).

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
^^^

I would say to think about how this will fit into your career plans. If the new job is something you want to do (or at least involves skills you want to gain for your intended career path), then it would be worth considering. If it's just "why not?", then I'd say re-think it, since you'll get the same pay (and don't count on negotiating a raise), and more work. Getting the chance to learn new things is great, but in the context of work, only if it helps you to gain skills you need for your career (and it helps you either get more money or make your position more secure in a company you want to work at long term). Also, quality of life is a factor, and if you'd be working with assholes, that's a negative as well. The people you work with matter.

All in all, it looks like it's not better than your current position. Again, unless you think it'll help your long-term career plans, you could consider staying in your current position (and keep that three-day weekend) and looking for jobs somewhere else (and having a weekday off will help when you go on interviews). If you wanna get paid more, you find a job with a new employer. Also, don't work nights. Please please please don't work nights.

yoyomama fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 18, 2014

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
Fair enough, but even so, if you're gonna spend your time doing that training, it was worth taking the time to think about pursuing it. That said, since it does fit into your long term goals, go for it, and best of luck to you.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

ForeverSmug posted:

I've got a Bachelors in Graphic Design and a Masters in Art. I hate it and the thought of burning the rest of my life up doing that makes me sick.

My last job, technically a GA, was for two and a half years doing small-scale database work for a bunch of local schools.

The office originally collected data from the schools, then manually input a bunch of data; I helped them set up something so that the schools could do it offsite.

I did a bunch of Excel output and graphs, and had to handle some gnarly Vlookup stuff (like a few hundred page pdf document containing a table with cells of no standard size that needed data parsed and organized). I also wrote a bunch of C# programs and Python scripts for the office for things like sorting data, quick data entry for specialized tasks, and outputting excel sheets. Plus general office hardware stuff- setting up printers and networking then, computers, iPads, adware cleaning, or whatever else they needed.

Skillwise I know some C#, Python, Javascript, and I've done a little C++, PHP, mySql, and Android development.

It's been a few months since I left and I have no idea what to do. Honestly I'd be okay doing something like that again; at this point I'd do about anything that'd pay me and be stable. I just don't think I'm really qualified for anything. I guess maybe clerical work or something? I've also been studying for the A+ cert; maybe I can get a lovely help desk job somewhere.

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with temp agencies? Maybe one of them could find somewhere that could use me.

What I want more than anything is to move out of state because there is absolutely nothing bar retail or food service here. I figure maybe a temp agency might also be able to help me get set up somewhere, since no job will hire out of state applicants.

At 25 I'm probably way too old to get started with IT or something. I wish I'd done anything else with my life than what I did, but the damage is done. At this point I've basically got no prospects, no hope, and no idea what to do.

I can't help much, but I would look at database management and/or data analyst positions and see if that career path appeals to you. I know where I work we have someone that can set up databases for us, I'm assuming using skills similar to the ones you mentioned. I recently saw positions like these posted in schools where they wanted someone who could do things like this (working with school data, setting up and maintaining databases) on places like idealist. For any jobs and orgs that exist where working with data is a part of what they do, they need someone that can get that data to them and/or make whatever system will help them keep adding and managing data without it it all becoming a mess.

Granted, I don't know anything about this as a career and how stable/well-paying it is, but I do know that I see those skills being listed for jobs in education, policy work, research consulting, etc. Especially if you've worked with a school for the last 2.5 years, that wold be valuable experience for any positions that want someone who can work with education data. That said, I don't think skills like this would only be limited to education/ngo/etc. sector, but since you worked with schools already, why not look for another position like the one you previously had? I've also seen mention of using Salesforce for some of these positions; I know nothing about it myself, but I'd suggest looking it up and seeing if working with it is a skillset you'd also want to build.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

ForeverSmug posted:

Analyst sounds like something I'd be able to do, but honestly I have no clue where to start looking for something like that. Most of what I've found through job search sites are "Senior software analyst" positions. What would these be labeled as? Are they entry-level?

As for software development, that'd be cool, but I'll kill myself before I waste even more of my life on school than I already have. I have a friend who works at the Oak Ridge labs who says I'm pretty much at Comp Sci Bachelors level, but I'm not so sure. Besides, I don't have the credentials to even get a second glance from a programming job.

Like I was saying, I feel like at this point my best/only option is a staffing or temp agency or something, which I'm hoping can also help me get my feet on the ground out of state; anybody have any experience with one of these?

It depends on where you live. The types of jobs I was talking about (data analysts for ngo/non-profit/research consulting) tend to be in major metro cities, biased towards the east coast (DC, NYC, Boston, etc.). Other types of analysts, I don't know. That said, I think a lot of industries are doing that whole "yeah we're hiring, but only for experienced positions" thing. That said, you have two+ years of experience, and that counts for something, so look for associate/just-above-entry-level positions as well, especially if you were taking charge of tasks, and not only assisting a manager in whatever task they did.

Look for "data analyst", anything with "analyst" in the title; a lot of places use this term to refer to a lot of things, so looking for jobs requires a bit more sifting.

As for temp agencies, they're good to start and use if you just need a job. You just have to keep on top of them and check in. Though it'd be worth checking in with recruiters to see what they'd gear you towards. Try contacting a few on Linked in. If you wanna move out of state, it's always easiest to get a job by either 1) being there, or 2) having lived there before if you apply out of state. This applies mainly to entry level positions, companies are cutting their relocation budgets, and cities like NYC won't be likely to give you a look if you're from out of town.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

ForeverSmug posted:

Is there like, a central location for them or something? I don't actually know any, I honestly have no idea how you'd go about that.

I'd imagine most of them are looking for specific people to snipe out of other companies anyway, not somebody outside a field.

I don't know any myself, but I do know in technical fields it's more common to use recruiters (how common I don't know). I'd either do some googling or reach out to someone in the field, professional organizations, networking meetups and see if you can get more info that way. It would ultimately depend on what industry you want to go in. If you want to keep working with schools it's one thing, while working in finance would be different. Once you narrow down where you'd want to use your skills, it'll be easier to figure out what positions to look or and who to ask for advice and network with. Sorry I can recommend anyone specifically.

That said, I was contacted by a staffing agency called Teksystems back when I just got out of school and though I wanted a tech career, got a short gig doing qa testing for software. I don't know how good they'd be considered by someone with actual programming skills, but I figured I'd throw it out there just in case.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
Agreed. Also, you don't want to work at both due to any potential conflicts of interest. Plus you'll burn out very quickly with two workloads.

Also, the one thing about "work when you want" places is that it can sometimes end up as a "work all the time" situation where you're always expected to be available. I haven't seen it often, but it depends on the company environment and expectations.

I'd say pick the 2nd, since it's the more sure option, but that's only based on what info you mentioned, not other things only you can judge like location, other benefits, your interest in what they do, how you'd get along with who you'd report to and who you'd supervise.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Coin posted:

I have a master's in literature. I couldn't find a steady teaching job after I graduated, so I settled into teaching online accelerated English courses to make ends meet. That has been my semi-full-time employment for the last five years. I'm either grading constantly or dipping into savings because I'm not making enough.

I don't really have a professional network because (save for a little bit of temping when times got especially lean) I haven't had any face-to-face interaction with people at work for years. I do have a couple of references I might be able to call on, but no one is very familiar with my work. My last couple of technical interviews for F2F teaching positions went very poorly (probably because I haven't taught in a traditional classroom since 2006) and, to be honest, I'm burned out by the constant grading and loneliness. Also, my income has actually gone down over the last three years. It's about to go down to the point where I won't be able to support myself...one of my colleges has introduced new metrics that make it impossible to teach for them in any kind of time-efficient fashion.

I've enrolled at the local community college, and I plan to take a two-year (or less) career program. Possibly IT (I know there are jobs, but I don't know if I would like it) but probably allied health. (I know I would like some of these jobs, but I have no idea what the job market will be like in the health field in two years.) The thought of going back to school absolutely petrifies me, though, and supporting myself while attending school full-time will be difficult. Also, I'm 34.

I don't know how to make my current resume sound good to anyone who isn't hiring online teachers. I've been accepted to a couple of freelance writing sites, but not at a high level. Proofreading apparently isn't my thing, based on some recent tests I took as part of an unsuccessful interview process.

1) don't feel like you have to go back to school full time. You can find a part time program, or an online one that would be more flexible to do with a full time job. That said, I wouldn't suggest going back for an associates when you have a masters, unless it is a requirement in the field you want to go into. I dont think it is for IT careers, so see what you can learn through self-study while you still work and make money. Also, internships may be a way to see if you like IT or applied health. That said, what may work better for you is to

2) join some networking groups, or reach out to professionals in the field you want to go into and ask for an informational interview. Do some research into what specific areas you're interested in, and meet people who can give you more info. This may be better than going back to school, if you couple it with learning what you need to know on you own time, working on projects that demonstrate those skills (if this is possible), and then networking to find an entry level position or paid internship where you can learn on the job.

3) try to think of what current skillset you have, and how it can be applied to the new career field you want to join. If you think of your job history in terms of skillset instead of position, and that can help you to figure out what you can transition to without necessarily needing to get another degree (if it's not required). You have teaching experience, but in terms of skills, you can train, and condense complicated material into a form that makes it easier to understand. So, communication and presentation skills. You did a masters, you have research skills. All of these skills are good ones to have. Corporate training may also be something you could do in the field you're interested in, or technical writing (since you've done some freelance writing), or communications.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Bone posted:

Ok guys, I could use your help.

Basically, I'm not happy where I work. I've put up with it because its a laid back job, but I just was informed that our night auditor (I work at a hotel) is taking Dec 24-30 off, so I would have to work all those overnights during the holidays.

Now, I'm pretty sure this is an opportunity to quit a lovely job, have a poo poo ton of holiday time, and find a better job. I want to get into IT, so I would be better off working in my field anyway.

My question is: How do I give my boss my two weeks notice without sounding like a whiny poo poo who doesn't want to work on the holidays, while loving over my current co-workers holiday plans? I mean, if I give them my two weeks, they SHOULD be able to find someone else, but its a small independently owned place so that's not 100% certain.

I'm definitely planning on quitting, I just want to know if there's a way to keep this bridge unburnt, since I've worked there for 4 years and would like to keep them on my resume at least until I find something better.

The only advice I can give you is to not - DO NOT - quit until you have a new job/ commitment lined up (commitment can be schooling, moving out of state, etc.).

I wish I had advice to give you about working the holidays. You can try to push back, or find someone else to cover some of the time. Hopefully they'll pay you some kind of overtime at least.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

foutre posted:

I'm in kind of an odd spot, and I'd like some direction.

I'm 22 years old, and have taken the last 3 years off from school to work (left after my freshman year) and figure out my life.

Since then, I've done the following (in order, such as it is):

--Worked as a counselor at a queer rights non-profit
--Worked as a children's museum arts coordinator.
--Took 2 semesters of classes, back-to-back, at 2 different colleges (1 at each).
--Started a non-profit, that fell short in the first funding round but was a good learning experience.
--Worked as a product manager/developer/etc. for an early stage start-up (this one was much more successful)

In the fall I'm going to return to school, and will likely major in Sociology or Gender Studies, with at least a minor in CS. I enjoy the former more, but I like the opportunities the latter affords and find programming pretty interesting.

For now though, I have the rest of the year until September free, living in DC.

I ended up really enjoying two threads within my time off -- the product management/development/research at the start-ups, and the research/statistics work that I did on queer rights/sociological stuff in my classes.

I'm currently in the process of applying for short-term positions, but I'm having two problems:

1) I'm not sure how to sell myself.

I do have a high gpa, and all the schools I attended are very prestigious, but my coursework consists mostly of things like "Random Grad School Anthro class" and "Intensive Humanities Seminar X", which don't really translate into quantifiable skills as well as I would like. Also, although the first three jobs aren't particularly impressive, I did quite well at the last one with very little experience (when my role got filled when I left, it was by an MBA candidate with a mid six figure salary -- which made me feel kind of bad about my practically non-existent salary but I digress). The problem is, although the start-up has gone through a first funding round, I'm still under an NDA so I can't do anything more than be very vague about my role, and I can't get list them as a reference.

Also, I know I should tailor my resume to the job posting, and have some good experience, but I'm not sure how to do that without making it look like I have huge gaps.

One last advantage is that I don't really need much in the way of a salary (very low expenses and a good bit of savings), but I'm not sure how to use that to get a foot in the door without seeming like I don't have much faith in my abilities. And honestly, I'd rather get as much as I can given I'm still going to have to pay for 2 or 3 years of undergrad.

In terms of disadvantages: I don't have a degree, I'm well off the recruiting cycle and am asking for a very weird time-frame and I have a very disparate job history. I'm sure there's more I'm missing.

2) I'm not really sure where to apply. I find the idea of working for somewhere like Bridgespan or FSG really appealing, but I don't know A) what experience right now would help and B) where I could actually get an offer. Should I just cold-email people, state what I'm willing to do, and pray?

Right now, I'm doing elance with my brother mostly as a way to gain skills and taking classes in the data science track on Coursera. I know that it will get a lot easier to get jobs and whatnot when I return to school, but I really want to take advantage of this period and do something useful.

As you can probably tell from this confused wall of text, I basically have no idea what the gently caress. If there's anything I left out or that would be good for me to get a handle on please let me know as well.

Not sure how helpful you may find this, but with your CS skills and interest in Soc/non-profit issues, you may try looking out for Hackathons targeted towards developing tech solutions for social issues. It wouldn't pay (unless you were in one where you won a prize), but it would be a project to work on, and a networking opportunity at the least.

If you're interested in research/stats, maybe try to find a research assistant position at the school you're going to next year (or any other school). Even if it's only volunteer, you could put it on your resume, esp when you apply for future research positions. Find some grad student working on their research and say "I want to help you with the tedious bs that you don't have time to do" and go from there. And if you're in DC, you could probably find some really interesting projects to work on that would be good to be associated with.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

So I have two questions, one is kind of basic, but I'm kind of stumped. One question is that I have a CS degree and am going to start looking and applying for tech jobs soon, but I am really interested in social justice/social work oriented tech, but I'm not really sure how I would go about looking for jobs like that. Are there particular keywords I could try? Also, my basic question is, do job search sites really work? Like monster.com and indeed.com do not seem very useful for me. I am not sure if I just have to spend a lot of time digging through them to work, or if they are ineffective. I have tried companies' sites, but then I run out of companies to look at. I have used google, and university webpages for this. I feel like I am being ineffective job searching but I don't know how to do better? What should my steps in job searching be? (Ideally this if for a job that leads to a career type thing, I have job searched for minimum wage stuff, but I sucked at that too and honestly I want to do better than that)

This is possible, and is one of my focuses in changing to a ux career. Right now I'm on the research side of things, so I have an idea of what I'm trying to do.

Look on idealist for tech jobs, as well as the usual sites. Networking is probably on of the better ways to find positions like this, especially on twitter. Look up healthcare IT orgs, they tend to have a big focus on using tech to help people, doing volunteer work (and sometimes being compensated for it from them).

Also look up hackathons on specific issues you're passionate about. Transh4ck is one I looked into, and they also had a panel on a group of people who have companies geared towards using tech to help trans people.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

|Ziggy| posted:

I have a friend that was convinced by another friend he was in the wrong field to ever make any considerable amount of money. He quit his job, entered a 12 week coding school that taught him a few languages (I think it cost ~$14k), and within 2 weeks after that had a $50k/year job. I don't know if his experience is typical or how good he is at coding since I'm not in the industry, but if you have any talent at it, it's an option. Maybe try codeacademy to see if it's something you'd be interested in first or just use it to learn on your own since that's free online.

Would also recommend this. I have mixed feelings about coding schools (the ones around here don't offer % of salary earned as tuition, or anything like that), but online resources are great. Also meetups are great too, I've learned a lot, and getting help from someone in person is a benefit. There are cheaper ways to learn coding that spending 10k for a several week course, but if it offers other benefits, then it's worth a shot.

That said, I know a good number of people who have done coding schools/boot camps and are either in jobs or have interviews soon after graduating.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
Another link on bootcamps: https://www.blacksintechnology.net/upcoming-bittechtalk-podcast-ep-66-dev-bootcamps/

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

See you link and raise you another: [url] https://modelviewculture.com/pieces/diversity-for-sale[/url]

This also talks about code schools, and gives a counter perspective on the downsides of them.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

posh spaz posted:

That's a really interesting article. I have a friend in Silicon Valley. He's pretty well connected and could probably open some doors for me, but I find most of that culture as offensive as Wall Street in the 80s.

Yeah, it was one of my biggest worries in changing careers. My current career is no paradise, but I didn't feel like changing to a culture that's even worse.

Thankfully I've joined a lot of groups that have gone a long way to helping me feel more comfortable trying to join the tech industry. That said, gently caress working in Silicon Valley, I've heard enough to know I'd be wasting my time even trying to work over there.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

|Ziggy| posted:

All this talk just makes me want to try quitting my job and giving coding school a try. I'm not at the point I want to give up a stable job for it though.

I've been looking into it, but I can't not have health insurance, so I looked for part time/online programs I can do while I work. There are a bunch out there, so if you really want to you could try looking up those. I've been looking at them here:

http://www.skilledup.com/articles/online-alternatives-coding-bootcamp/
https://www.switchup.org/

That said, looking at some of these syllabi for these programs, the main benefit of these programs that you can't do at home is the networking aspect. So another alternative is self-study + lots of networking and going to recruiting events. I've been doing this so far, and I've seen a lot of coding bootcamp grads at these same events.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Boot and Rally posted:

Has anyone found it useful to go out of their way to get a big, brand name company on their resume? What I mean to ask is: have any of you had trouble finding a job doing what you want (say job A) and managed to get an offer from a big multinational corporation doing something else (job B), only to find that when you tried to go back to the job A market it was much easier to get responses?

In my experience, name/brand can matter in a career; It's similar to going to a big name college, though it's more field-dependent. It can help with networking as well.

I think what matters more is what you do at the company. I've tended to work at smaller companies that aren't super well-known, but worked with interesting well-known clients or public projects that interest people in interviews. Before that, working for the census bureau used to come up a lot in interviews, just because it's a job that people don't know a lot about, and generates a lot of stories. So ideally it's interesting work at a well-known company, but one or the other works as well.

To answer your specific question: if company B is in a similar field, then I've found that it can be easier due to having that many more years of experience and general industry knowledge, as well as the prestige of being associated with that company. As long as job B has some overlap of skills with job A, then it can definitely be easier to get job A later. And if company B is really prestigious (apple, Microsoft, proctor and gamble, etc.) then being in a similar field may matter even less. Though one challenge may be when you want to move from the well known company to a smaller one and they want to know why you want to make a "downgrade" in your career.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
What may help is to first think about what kind of skills you'd like to use in a career, and then think about how to make your current job a stepping stone to pursuing that career.

It can sometimes be limiting to think of "I want this kind of job", because job titles and careers can vary a lot in responsibilities and skillset. Also, different industries can require vastly different knowledge for the same kind of role.

What helped me to think of a career to pursue was thinking about what kind of skills I wanted to use. That way, I could better find the specific types of jobs I wanted to apply to and from there, start to think about a long-term career trajectory. This way of thinking also helped me to figure out how to use my current job to get the kind of experience I needed to demonstrate those skills. It's kinda bullshit, but employers want to see that you have a "career narrative", so being skills-focused can help you make your case, especially if you're making a career switch.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
If you can, try to go for it. I just did the same thing. That said, I had less to lose since my job is laying people off, so I had no job security anyway. Plus it's in a city I always wanted to relocate to, so I had more pluses than minuses towards taking the risk.

If the internship is with a good company that would be great to have on your resume, or will at least give you experience you'll need, you could go for it and have a long term plan for making it work (and another plan for if it doesn't).

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

stickykeys posted:

I get why they don't want to help people find another job but I'm just curious, what do other companies expect people to do in terms of self-development?

They don't want you to actually build your career for yourself, but want you to make a plan of career growth that benefits the company. If it happens to match up, great! If not, you just bs what you can and keep your real plans to yourself.

Your real career dev plan and the bureaucratic one HR has you fill out have completely different goals, even if they are the same.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

Masters was in biogeography. I completed all the course requirements but not the thesis. Mostly I was a biologist/statistician. After getting my undergrad I spent three years doing field work for scientists working in remote areas and helped them analyze their data. Used a lot of GIS, R, and SAS with some occasional programming. I did a lot of teaching and created a huge volume of material for various classes (lecture slides, exercises, worksheets, lab guides, etc.) in and out of university settings.

Its hard to say what I like. I've worked in urban planning, academic research, conservation, big data analysis, and environmental engineering/remediation. Most of the experiences were bad since I found few opportunities and often hated the work. Low pay, constant isolation, abusive bosses, and no job security really sapped any sort of satisfaction from the jobs. When I think about what I want to be doing years from now its started to feel more like "where will I be miserable, broke, and lonely next?"

Those are skills that can get you a solid job, depending on where you live. Try research consulting firms, or any place that works with Big Data, geolocation, etc. Figuring out your career plan will help, but don't feel like you need to get it right the first time. It's going to be a long process, but that process will be a lot easier if you have money and you're not working retail. I've been in a similar situation (minus leaving my Masters program, I just took really long to finish). What specific careers are you interested in currently? Or not interested in at all no after how good the pay? Have you talked to your therapist about working on your career plans?

Edit: also look at askamanger for advice on how to explain your time since finishing your classwork.

yoyomama fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 7, 2016

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

I've looked into some analysis type jobs but feel terribly unqualified for them. I've mostly been applying to GIS technician type gigs and out of the 20+ apps I've only gotten an interview for one. I'm clearly lacking something but I'm not sure how to go about getting the qualifications they want. Going back to school is unappealing but maybe taking some classes is the answer.

I'd like to do work relating to land use change and urban development. Or at least I did. Ideally I'd be doing something where I could investigate the results of policy decisions to see what works and what doesn't. Thats what I was initially working towards. I've talked to my therapist about career plans but he can't really help. I need concrete advice from someone in the field

Research consulting firms or research institutes, one that works in social policy work would be your best bet. 1 in 20 rate for interviews is really good, 1 in 50 would be good.

If you want feedback, reach out to someone working in the field, or go to professional meet ups. And not just for analysts, but any event that involves researchers meeting up or talks about large projects. If you meet the right person you can at least get a lead on a job.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
If you've been there 8 weeks, start looking now and leave it off your resume. Just get out. Bring it up to HR if you want, but either way, based on what you've described, you'd likely need to have an exit strategy.

I've made the mistake to try to make it work at jobs that just aren't working out, but sexual harassment is another level of gfto

That said, the alternative is transferring to another department and/or supervisor, if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Sharzak posted:

So I'm 24 about to graduate in May with a bachelor's in economics. My grades aren't great but my work experience is good--I've been employed full time in the mortgage industry since I was about 18. I would like to do one of the following things, in order of preference:

1) get a job at a policy institute, like CEPR, or pretty much anything actually related to economics
2) get an analytics job (marketing analyst, finance analyst, business intelligence)
3) if none of the above are possible at making more than I currently make, I guess get a PHD, MBA, or kill myself

So I have two major questions--
1) To what extent are post-graduate degrees and research experience required for working at a think tank? All of the featured writers have PhD's and poo poo but what kind of positions, if any, do they have for undergrads? Related, with a 3.0 GPA, what are my chances of getting into any decent grad school for either an MBA or a masters/doctorate in economics. I haven't even looked at GRE or GMAT because I've been assuming I'm out of the picture with a 3.0 GPA and a 3.3 in my major. My grades show a significant improvement over time but honestly only in the last year or so has it been a priority over work. The heart of this question, really, is what jobs are available in the actual field of economics that I would qualify for?

2) I'm not sure how to leverage my experience into higher pay in a different field. I've been making 45k/yr and would ideally see a significant boost in pay, but mortgages are a pretty specific set of technical skills that won't actually make me better at doing analytics. This is in a city where median household income is about 60k and per capita is 30ish.

Looking at that salary, if you want to earn more starting out, and with a BA, go the analyst route, especially business and/or data analytics. Going into think tank work doesn't pay until after you get advanced degrees, and even then it's a gamble if it'll be worth it. Even with a lower GPA, a few years work at a good think tank will count for a lot for grad school apps. But again, you won't make much money.

Going the analyst route can get you a good salary, and you won't need to go to grad school. And if/when you do, you can find an employer that'll pay for it. Also, they even have tech bootcamps for data analytics now. Not to say you should go that route, but at least that gives a signal that it's an employable skill set.

I tell you this as someone who thought very similarly of doing think tank/policy work, and then left that career path once I realized I'd never make a decent living without a lot of upfront financial sacrifice that I literally could not make.