Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kells
Mar 19, 2009
I've been out of school for two years ("IT" degree) and am currently in my third tech support job. I don't enjoy tech support at all and can only stomach it for 6-8 months until I'm searching for something new. Problem is, the only jobs I am qualified to get are tech support jobs.

Although I got an IT degree (from a no-name community college in NZ) I don't have any skills - can't program, no hardware/networking skills, and to be honest I'm not really interested in working in IT anyway.

I'm approaching the 7-month mark in my current job and am getting more and more frustrated with it. The work I'm doing is not interesting or difficult and the customers I support are rude and lazy (yeah yeah I know, all customers are). I do well at my job and have gone above and beyond the job description by writing technical documentation and user manuals as well as helping a bit with other projects, but I still don't find any of the work I do particularly interesting.

I've been toying with the idea of asking to go part time. I feel like my burn-out will be delayed if I'm not working all day every day, and I'd have more time to work on what I want to do - I really want to sell cupcakes!

My job has been slowly upping my workload (the sys admin used to do support as well) and it looks like they're planning on having me support 300+ clients alone - it's not a high volume job so I can handle it, but not on part time hours. If they hired someone else full-time and let me move to part-time I think it would be fine, but it's a tiny company and I don't know if they even have the money to pay an extra part-time wage let alone if they'd be open to it.

Is it stupid to want a part time job for purely personal reasons rather than something like being sick/studying/having a baby? I've never really had any desire for a high-flying career and as long as I can pay my bills I reckon having more free time will make me much happier. Plus I'd have the time to work on a cupcake side-venture!

How would I present the idea of me working part time to my boss without sounding like some lazy person who wants to cost the company money?

Bonus cupcake pix:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kells
Mar 19, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

This may be a totally stupid question, but how/why did you get an IT degree if you have no interest in working in IT?

My mother pushed her regrets re: not having a degree onto me. I was 17 and not ready to be kicked out so I picked IT 'cause hey I like using computers and it was only 3 years instead of 4.

quote:

What you need is a clear plan and path to exit IT. Keep your current job for the time being, keep paying the bills, and focus your energy on getting out. Worse to be out of a job and have no plan and no money.

If you want to do baking full time, are there entry level bakery jobs that you can get without some kind of culinary school background? Goons with Chickencheese has an industry thread that might be right up your alley.

I do worry that even if I move into baking I'll end up burned out on that too, but it's probably worth a try right? I do enjoy baking and love it when people like what I've created.

quote:

Regarding Kells Kupcakes: Beware, many states have cottage industry laws and regulations especially where food is involved.

I live in Australia (NSW) and from what I've found so far I just need to register my kitchen to be able to sell baked goods to the public. Will be working on that once we move houses!

kells
Mar 19, 2009

Xovaan posted:

Thanks to this thread I now know how to (very roughly) use macros, vlookup, and nested equations. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, hah. Now, what is with this "SQL" thing and is it important to learn? (I am assuming yes) Where is the best place to learn such a thing?

SQL is basically the programming language for databases. It shouldn't take long at all to get a basic understanding of it - try SQLZoo for interactive lessons, or Quackit for stuff to read.

kells
Mar 19, 2009
I'm interested in this answer too - I too have had 3 jobs in the past 3 years and so far my longest stint at a job has been 11 months.

kells
Mar 19, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

Probably a bit obvious but is putting together a database considered a separate skill from just using it like the above examples?

I.e. if the job ad says "Data analyst - must know SQL", can you get away with just knowing those commands?

Designing and implementing a database is much more involved than just using it to query data. I don't know what a 'data analyst' does though, sounds pretty vague.

kells
Mar 19, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

if you're expecting a raise before even a year you're nuts.

And an employer expecting their employee to do two people's jobs for the price of one isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kells
Mar 19, 2009

Natron posted:

Really what I need is some kind of adult guidance counselor. Not the kind that you gently caress or something, but the kind that works in a high school and tells kids what they should do based on their skills and goals.

Is there anywhere that would have a guidance counselor-esque service that would allow someone like me to come in and figure out what I want to be when I grow up?

There probably are guidance counsellors for adults, but when I was in your situation I took a bunch of online "career" tests. It was actually helpful because I'd never thought of myself as a creative person but all my results said I needed a "creative" job.

Doing a bunch of tests and being open to the results (since I had no clue what job would make me happy) helped me realise that I'd really like to teach as a job, something is never really considered!