Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Can anyone share some advice for internal interviews? A position will be opening soon for the next level of my position (I am a II, position opening is a III) and I have been advised to put in for it. While that makes me feel like a shoe-in for the position, I still want to make sure I don't look like a cock while going through the process.

I will likely be interviewed by people I currently report to or have previously reported to, but I also haven't gone through a formal interview in ~6 years. If I were offered this position it would be my second promotion in under 6 months which scares me a little.

I'm also working on updating my resume to reference more projects/achievements within the organization as the people that will be reviewing it will be familiar with those things.

Apologies if this is not the right place to ask. The whole thing came up fairly quickly and I'm just a little anxious about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

This is excellent advice.

Couple that humility by knowing your business stone cold. Have examples ready to go for work that you have done or are doing that is at the III level. Demonstrate that you know it inside and out and have the skills and competencies to excel at that role (if it is different from a II).

If you are nervous, try role playing with someone. Make them act like the interviewer and give them questions you are likely to be asked, and see how you do. Nothing wrong with a little practice.
Thanks to both of you for the quick replies and sound advice.

Is there a best practice for handling references in a situation like this? I assume I want to provide some internal references that are outside of my team/direct vicinity. I can dig up some 'attaboy' emails, or I can approach some people at the office tomorrow and ask them for a reference? I might be over thinking it.