Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if this could lead to a different career path, but it might. My boss of two months (he "recruited" me from another team) is jumping ship to a smaller, but growing, and less TPS company. In our last conversation, he said that he'd be building the team from scratch, and that he'd miss competent people like me. Now, this wasn't said in once sentence, but I still see it as an opportunity. Any ideas on how to tactfully convey my willingness to go along with him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Raimundus posted:

Are you on a friendly, first-name basis with him? Then simply ask him what you can do for him at his new company during your next conversation. If you don't expect to just bump into him, invite him to lunch.

We are, and he's been pretty open in sharing his frustrations after the announcement, so I think this part is good. Unfortunately, we're at different locations so there's 0% chance of just bumping into him, or even going for lunch, really. Still, we're scheduled to have at least one last call before he leaves, so that would probably be the last chance. It would be worth a try, at least, as I doubt he'd get pissed off and fire me as his last decision before leaving :)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Harry posted:

You'd probably be blown away how many people press the copy button and then press the paste button.
Or use the "Insert Function" dialog to add the same drat VLOOKUP function they've been using daily for years
:negative:

Good Excel skills are a no-joke super useful thing. It's cool that you can use build a logistic regression model to predict some poo poo, but throwing together a bunch of pivot table/charts which clearly answer the business questions 10 minutes before the meeting will make you look good to the management.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, 3 jobs in 3 years is a bit suspicious (though I wouldn't disqualify anyone for this), even if you actually have legitimate reasons. Your current one doesn't sound too terrible so I'd try to stick to it for another 6 months as you said, or a bit more, and negotiate for a competitive salary and better title. This should give you some time to save up for the move and put you in a better position for getting a new job there as well.

Nocheez posted:

What programs do you use for SQL at your jobs? We've been using QMF for ages, and are just now switching to Rocket Shuttle (DataQuant).

My company is over 150 years old, but some of our computer systems that we rely on are pushing 30 years old.

Most analyst-facing systems are SQL Server, then on top of that R, or BusinessObjects software depending on the goals.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been planning a comprehensive re-thinking of my career for a while, but now something came up before I got my poo poo together that I didn't really expect or consider before. I'll probably need to make the decision soon and just don't know WTF.

I'm doing marketing analytics/data sciencey stuff (think SQL, R, SPSS) and some LoB development (Perl, C#, sometimes I sneak in some C++) in a major software company. It's been going fine but lately I feel I clearly hit a dead end. There are many reasons, most of them hilariously TPSy so I won't go into that here.

I wanted to go in a more technical directions and applied for a few dev jobs internally, though since they require an international relocation, I'm not holding my breath. What happened now though is that our company opened a sales training program. Now I'm no expert, but enterprise software sales is a pretty sweet gig, no? It's aimed at grads, which I guess is good as I cold be graduating this summer with a business degree. But that's because I effectively dropped out and then did it part-time, having already worked here for 3+ years.

So these aren't exactly pros/cons or even questions, but just different thoughts that someone with experience could comment on:
  • While sales isn't something I ever seriously considered, or thought to have the personality for, I did a few month of retail banking sales while in school (i.e., selling credit cards to people) and thought I did pretty well with the lovely leads I was given, and I feel like I could adapt ok.
  • Complete career change, there's no continuity with what I'm doing. Up to now, there was always something I could leverage from the previous positions, and it felt like I could jump to a wide range of jobs - dev, financial analysis or consulting, which is what I was considering before. This would be cutting that off, though perhaps opening other possibilities I'm not seeing now.
  • Restarting from 0 instead of 3 years. But would it matter if I had overall business experience advantage and could make more straight away? (Or could I?)
  • A more work hard/play hard lifestyle? My job's not very stressful but if I'm spending 8-10 hours a day anyway, I'd prefer to celebrate the successes and relax a bit instead of rebooting everything the next day and maybe getting an email wondering about the expired attachment link six weeks later.
  • There are going to be evaluations during the training so I thought something could be arranged with my current role as a fallback, but I know too well my managers can't guarantee poo poo if the budget is cut or there's a hiring freeze.
I'm not really looking for a yes/no answer as that's probably not even possible, but any input would be helpful.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you be burning bridges? Unless you've only worked there for like a month or something, just be nice and professional in your resignation and they'd probably be happy to have you back in a few years in a better position, if you decided to come back.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know, but have you tried talking to your old VP? He might have something at the new place, and this is exactly why I try to keep in touch with my previous managers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xandu posted:

This is true, there's no harm in asking, but you should be realistic, the answer is quite likely to be no. I assume you're in America, my suspicion is they'll send in some senior people to run the office and hire locals, it tends to be pretty costly to send people abroad and entry-level people who've been there for four months aren't on top of the list.

So definitely ask, particularly if they've indicated they'll be recolating analysts, but don't get your hopes up too much yet.

This is the most likely outcome. I had a similar situation, except I had a few years of experience I would be doing there literally the same thing but they still went with a local. Definitely do ask though, at the very least it'll show that you've got some ambitions.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
E: This was turning into a wall of text so I just broke it up a bit.

Situation
I think I need some help unfucking my career. I've been thinking about it recently and had several directions in mind where to take things next, but this week my former bosses unexpectedly asked me to consider a position in their team. Do I take it? Obviously that's for me to decide, but I'd appreciate some comments or ideas I didn't consider.

In short, I work at an enterprise software company and for our marketing ops I've been doing data mining as well as necessary ETL stuff, plus some coding in SQL, C# and Perl. Some of the work was fun and I liked that I had both businessy and technical stuff to do. But recently, there's been less sensible direction, there are constant budget cuts/freezes, I had two people moved from my team before they could be even integrated, and there's little room for advancement that I can see. Just being in ops is starting to get to me too.

Offer
So now I suddenly get this offer, which I'd say is 90% mine if I want it. It's basically a Business Analyst job, with BPM, Six Sigma and all the other typical crap.
+ Higher salary grade (so +10-15% maybe)
+ Some new useful skills/buzzwords to learn
+ A bit of travel to meet new people in the field
- Still in ops, still same org
- Will probably need to start with a project I already thought was retarded
-/+ Would need to stick around a bit, but could use the time to finish my degree

So far, when considering jobs, one of the main concerns has been whether it would help me get where I want to be eventually, and I think so far this allowed me to keep a lot of possibilities open. But now there's not only a question of how it fits with my long-term ideas, but also short-term options - there were internal jobs I have and almost applied for already, and a fellowship a friend of mine suggested.

Long-term
In the longer term, I'd probably want a re-alignment along these lines:
1) Management/strategic consulting.
This would mean getting out entirely, as we don't do this type of consulting. But from everything I've seen, I think I'd prefer this, and my skillset could be pretty valuable. I don't know anyone in the field.
2) Software Development
Researchy position probably wouldn't happen without a CS PhD but a C++ or KDB+/Q job in a financial shop is not out of the question if I leverage my experience with data crunching and programming.
There are some in-house positions I applied for already and some more I was considering.
3) Sales.
I'm not a traditional extroverted salesman but I do have some experience from retail banking where I did decently without much prior experience in the field. I think I could do well here as I'm familiar with our marketing and sales process, our products, and have a technical background.
There's a training program for account executives scheduled for spring that I am considering applying for.

Tl;dr:
Should I take an almost guaranteed position which is marginally better, could provide useful skills, but will delay more significant career changes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

I'm assuming that you're talking about a bachelor's degree here. For every other career path you're discussing, having a degree is either a significant advantage or effectively necessary. It's going to make such a huge difference in your job search that finishing it really should be your top priority.

Yeah I effectively dropped out just a few credits short of completing it and due to various reasons never managed to go back. So now I'm thinking to take this position as my current role no longer helps me long-term anyway, complete the degree, and jump ship. Makes sense?