Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
This seems to be the most appropriate thread for some advice that I am looking for.

Right now I am a 27 year old that has a good job. I am relatively debt free (I have a 14k student loan and that's it), I have nearly 10k in savings at the moment, I have an IRA with 10k in it and I have started utilizing my companies 401k just last week, so it has NO money in it at the moment, but it will start being funded ASAP.

I have an associates degree and I am a restaurant manager making 45k a year, plus quarterly bonuses ranging from 500-1500 dollars depending on my stores performance. Previously I was a bank manager for a few years, and before that I managed a sunglasses store at a mall around where I live, so I have nearly a decade of retail management experience. I enjoy my job, but I want to go back to school to get a bachelors and a masters in speech pathology, a career path that I have been interested in for the past year or so.

My problem is that when I started going to school at 18, I was immature, aimless, and irresponsible and I hosed my GPA. I attended 3 schools around my area. At the first school I took 7 classes and ended with a 2.2 GPA, at the next school I took 7 classes and ended up with a .8 GPA, and then at my last school, where I got my associates, I took 9 classes and ended with a 2.7 GPA. Right now my GPA is around a 2, and I need to get it around a 3 to attend just about any college I want to go to for speech pathology. I think the best thing for me to do is to go back to the second school (as it was a community college) and retake the classes that I hosed up in to get my GPA closer to that 3, though I am hesitant because I already have my associates degree, but I don't see what other choice I have.

I currently reside in Michigan, and I really want to move out of state somewhere because I have been here my whole life and I really need a change. Preferably somewhere south where it is warm, in a much bigger city with public transit so I can get rid of my car, and I would like to do that sooner than later.

I am looking at Austin TX to move to specifically and the question really is should I save up some more money before I move and get my GPA straightened out, and if I do move out are the chances of finding a job comparable to the one that I have now unreasonable? Is there any way to get into a college with my GPA and work experience that may save me time? Does it sound like I'm doing the right things with my money at the moment? Does anyone have any advice on colleges for speech pathology, or programs that may help out my future career? Any advice in general would be great.

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
I finally, after changing my major no less than 7 times, found a career that I am very interested in. I'm getting a degree in Sign Language Interpreting. I am a male, I live in Michigan, I'm 28, I'll be 29 when I finish my degree and go to get licensed. I'm currently working 50 hours a week just managing a gas station, but I've been saving money like crazy. I will have 20k saved up by my last year of college, so I plan on quitting my job and focusing solely on sign language before I get licensed, so I can do it flawlessly (or, at least, that's the plan). I've been researching careers in interpreting and it seems like my best bet for a career will be working for a Video Relay Service, School, or Hospital. I've also read research that said that the job supply for interpreters is increasing 46% year after year, so the demand is always increasing. All of my teachers and peers go on and on and on about how I'm going to have the easiest time finding jobs because I'm male, but people also tell me about all these 50-somethings (all of which are female) that know sign language and interpreting just didn't work out for them. Is there anyone in the field that really makes a living? Or is there anyone that has any advice for an up and comer?