Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I've had a very successful career but cannot find a new opportunity.

I was a double digit employee at a "cool" company that had a very sexy IPO in 2016. Got poached by the guys who created Beats (before by Dre) and led marketing for their headphone company trying to piggyback off the EDM/DJ culture of the time. Those guys were loving idiots so when I got poached by another lifestyle company (w/ a product) I took it.

That was the past 6 years. Created a Gaming department inside a very famous action sports company and in five years overtook the marketing budget for action sports and the 3 other core marketing pillars.

The IPO, bonuses, RSUs, etc allowed me to take 6 months off. Much needed as I was traveling to Europe every 2 weeks for 6 days at a time for nearly my entire tenure.

Going back has been really frustrating. I'm a great interviewer and have made it to the final interview only to lose out to the other person because my experience is a bit more scattered than most due to the start-up situations.

I've been hammering Linkedin hard. What other career sites should one be using in 2023? Is there any tips for the above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I have a dilemma I could use some feedback on.

I'm in my mid-30s and I stepped away from a very successful Marketing career, specifically onboarding, managing etc action sports athletes. One was a wearable camera company that I was fortunate enough to IPO with and cash out before the awesome fail, and the second is a household action sports 16oz of poison. I stepped away because of two reasons, one was having a problem peddling poison. Naturally. The other was for the last 6 years the role had me flying from LAX to Frankfurt and off to wherever-the-gently caress-the-event-is. HR did the math and over my 6 years of employment I was traveling 70% of the time or every 2 weeks for 6 days on average.

Pretty rad for awhile, then you're 35 and need to kinda slow down cause that is not a sustainable lifestyle. The perks, and the fact that my job was to abuse the corporate card was great for awhile.

At both companies I've watched the classic rat race politics of fuckery and misery. I am well liked but getting sucked into it at GoPro made me realize what was starting again..

--

I am single, I'm very outgoing (but hate sales, am amazing in negotiations), I am not tied down to any single location, and because of the successes in my career I have a very healthy savings to be able to even do this. I know I will have to go back to school of some type which I am actually pretty excited for.

What I am currently looking into:

- Flight Dispatcher (my father is a pilot)
- Something in ATC if it's not too late
- ROV Pilot/tech
- Emergency Linemen
- Renewable Energy / EPA

I know that I can make a career change successful eventually, but insights into the above or similar opportunities or industries would be great

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Exactly what I was wanting insight on.

Thank you.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Lockback posted:

Why not a sales/marketing/strategy role that doesn't involve so much travel?

I am at a Sr. Manager/Director rung in the race and I'd either resign myself to never moving or being worked into the corporate gears to where I'm managing others.