Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Excrucian posted:

I’m new to BFC, and I have a forum etiquette and culture question before I post my actual question.

I need some guidance on essentially starting my career over, and going into something that will allow 100% remote work, so that I can be physically present for my elderly parents with deteriorating health. I see that would normally go in this thread. But my situation is… complicated, and the context really does matter, and all my attempts to make it concise so I can post it in BFC and not have people’s eyes glaze over have still ended up pretty lengthy. How would thread regulars suggest I approach this? Should I try to cut it down to a TL;DR and answer questions as they arise, or do people hereabouts prefer to have all the context up front? Or would an entirely separate “he;lp” thread be better?

yeah what moana said. feel free to make new thread and drop link in related megathread(s) here asking for help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

this poster is asking for career help in BFC: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027100

someone have a look? I don't have relevant advice

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Cyril Sneer posted:

Does something like this seem reasonably well-worded? Any suggestions from others who have been in this position would most appreciated!

I'd probably not use the 'deaf ears' part, that's a bit aggro on the very person you're messaging.

Something else to consider: it might not be about the work, really. it might be about Chris, or the business at large? Maybe the other things you were doing then had more business value so they wanted you to stick with your known good stuff? maybe Chris has been disappointing elsewhere so they're happy he's growing as an employee?

otherwise idk, this seems like the sort of thing I'd bring up in a meeting (even a group meeting) not an email but orgs work differently

e: you may also try the corporate thread, people talk about stuff like this over there too

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

yeah lockback is probably right. re: mentioning stuff in group, I did say that orgs differ on this. but framing matters a lot too. like, you can bring things up as "that's so neat Chris, I had a look at that a few years back with team X and we had some proof of concept results along the same lines that I think you'd really like looking at, want to see if they can help you?" etc etc. a lot of this depends on your social skills in your org (which people often... overrate)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

The postdoc system is bullshit for sure. It also might be your best bet for finding a job.

this

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

does anyone know of a good survey or site detailing which companies are viewed as the most "desirable" places to work at by elite college grads? where do kids graduating from the ivies, stanford, MIT, etc., want to work for their first job? what companies are they fighting to get into?

hopefully looking for quantitative data on this. I know stuff like "big tech good" and so on.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mustang posted:

Here's a 2022 report from Universum on the most attractive employers for business, engineering, and IT students. They surveyed 185k students.

this is perfect, thanks. their interactive 2023 ranks are here:
https://universumglobal.com/rankings/united_states/engineering/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

Second one is wrong: US tax is around 20 percentage points higher than what I pay now or in Country2 scenario

the US tax code is progressive on income and has all sorts of loopholes for high-earners. plus the sales (VAT) and real estate taxes here are inevitably way different than whatever Country2 is, and also vary state-to-state.

spwrozek posted:

It sounds like you ran the numbers and also don't like or really care for America. Without some real numbers, locations, and data or feels like everyone is struggling to give you advice.

yeah what spwrozek said

beefeater, you stated the position is like FAANG L8 equivalent or whatever. it's clearly a ton of money and nitpicking over headline marginal tax brackets or potential future baseline job comps is not going to decide anything for you. just pick the place you want to live and move on with life.