Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holla Forth
May 20, 2010

Hey guys - I've got a bit of general early-career confusion going on and was wondering if anyone here had some wisdom to drop on me while I'm thinking it over

General background: I went through college as a pre-med science major, planning on working for a year or two and going to med school. Since then, I've been working a job at an industry-specific management consulting firm. Recently, I've been rethinking the whole med school thing (all kinds of reasons - mostly just that I was never one of those doctor-or-bust people who can't imagine doing anything else, and spending the next 8 years working my rear end off for no money is looking less and less attractive if the endgame isn't something I'm ultra passionate about). As a result, I'm spending a lot of time thinking seriously about an open-ended professional life for the first time.

I'm not 100% in love with what I'm doing now though, either. The company is great - it's small, I work directly with upper management regularly (who are for the most part genuinely brilliant people), and the clients range from startups to gigantic multinationals. On the other hand, there are a lot of hours involved, they're very unpredictable, and client services can feel like being permanently on-call. The pay is great for my age, but not necessarily incredible for the industry/area I live in (lol nyc). Basically, I'm not sure that I want to stay at this job, or even in this industry. A few years of experience in management consulting can open a lot of doors so I'm going to ride it out for now, but there are definitely some questions I'd love to see if anyone can offer some insight on:

First, how well does industry-specific consulting experience translate outside of that field (a lot of it seems pretty generalizable - BD strategy, product launch planning, M&A work, etc)? Secondly, my firm is very well respected in the field, but is small and totally unknown outside of it - come time to explore my options, how much of a problem will that be? Is bouncing around a lot early on in my career a really dumb idea? I don't mean leaving five jobs in two years or anything like that, but if I look around for an internal strategy or finance job in a totally different field and don't like that better, will I end up just looking unfocused and screwing myself over in both areas? And, finally, how does internal work compare to something like consulting (mostly with regard to lifestyle/hours, but also in advancement opportunity/anything else that might be relevant).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holla Forth
May 20, 2010

That was really helpful - thanks a ton. And yeah, I wasn't talking so small as that, more like ~40 professional staff. Small enough that people don't recognize the name unless they work in the industry.