Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
I'm currently a manager at a local retail business. I advanced to manager quickly because I'm very good at customer service and at the organizational/logistic side of things, but there aren't any more advancement opportunities, and the maximum potential pay is low.

Where do I go from here? How long should I stick around to look reliable before I hop ship? I'm considering doing a part-time degree in business management but I don't know how important that'll be in hiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
I'm 2.5 years into a B.A. in Mathematics, but am currently on leave for various (financial, medical reasons). I'm considering going back to school part-time to finish my degree , but I have no idea what kind of careers I'd want to pursue after I get a degree. I'm currently working retail full-time, making 25k a year and enjoying it way more than I was university, but it's at a local business with very limited advancement opportunity. Here are my main strengths and what I want in a job:

Strengths:
  • quantitative thinking -- won a bunch of math awards, did MATLAB programming as a paid research assistant in uni
  • customer service -- lots of regulars come back just to speak with me + have tried to hire me for other stores
  • detail orientation -- I'm a list-maker and quick to notice things that could be improved
  • some event planning experience -- booking venues, negotiating with vendors, costs and budgeting, etc.
Qualities I'd like in a job:
  • concrete results -- I like seeing the results of my work, whether it's numbers on the bottom line, satified customers, or the like
  • human interaction -- especially making people happy
  • structured work environment -- goals and procedures make me more productive
  • some change of scenery -- a desk job would be okay, but I really enjoy working on my feet and travelling for work
  • financial security -- I'd rather have a moderate-risk, moderate-reward job than a high-risk/high-reward one like comissioned sales
I'm thinking I might be interested in pursuing retail management or event planning, but anybody have other ideas for jobs that require both logical/mathematical and social skills and are accessible to somebody with a high school or bachelor's degree?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
I'm an Applied Mathematics major graduating in May. I would love to work at an ERP or FinTech startup, but I'm not quite sure what roles I'd be qualified for. Here's a brief inventory of my skills:
  • Best: operations (cutting costs, streamlining processes), customer service, communications/presentations, general organisation
  • Good: business analysis, Excel, Access + SQL, finance industry knowledge, numerical modelling & optimisation
  • Decent: accounting, corporate finance, statistics
I'm sure I have a useful skill set, but I'm not quite sure how to pitch it in a cold e-mail or open application beyond "I can help your operations run smoothly." Also, what other useful skills should I be picking up -- getting an Agile certification? Learning a programming language even if I don't want to be a dev? Tips?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Kontradaz posted:

Did you do any on campus recruiting? You're a shoe in for consulting companies (depending on your alma / GPA / social skills), but it might be harder after the initial cycle this fall. I think they have more stuff in the new year.

School is decent but non-target, GPA 4.1/4.3, I can talk to people -- but I made a hash out of campus recruiting; tried to struggle through September's on-campus interviews with a bad bout of pneumonia and made a generally poor impression. I'm currently in the running with one company for consulting (although it's one of my top choices, at least!) Glad to hear that more postings might show up in January.

Saeku fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 22, 2016

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Cross-posted from SAL because I could really use advice on this:

I've just finished Applied Math undergrad and wasn't considering grad school, but an offer fell into my lap and I'm considering it but unsure how it would impact my career goals. The offer is for a 2-year funded M.Sc. in Applied Math under a supervisor specializing in operations research and game theory, and I would get a chance to do a thesis on something directly relevant to my career interests and pick up some technical skills I didn't get from my undergrad. My dream would be to work for a startup in operations. I currently am about to finish a RA contract, have no permanent job locked down, 3+ years experience starting and managing a retail business, and no other relevant experience.

My concerns:
  • With my current funding, if I took this degree I would likely incur an additional $15K of student debt over two years. (Currently have $20K debt and $13K savings)
  • As part of my degree, I MAY have an opportunity to work with a major corporation on a project that is perfectly related to my interests. It would be incredibly valuable experience and likely lead to a job at that company, but it's not 100% locked down. If I don't do that, I would not have an opportunity to do internships during my degree.
  • I don't know if this will be more valuable to my career than two years in the workforce, and I'm concerned about waiting until then (at age 27) to start my first professional job.
  • On the other hand, I have only gotten a few interviews, and I feel under-qualified for the places I'd like to work for the most.
Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Reik posted:

Have you thought about being an Actuary? Applied math is an ideal degree and you only need a bachelor's for entry level. You'll have to pass at least 1 of the exams, but the first two (P and FM) shouldn't be hard for someone with your education. I've been an Actuary for 5 years now and it's incredible.

I have P and FM and insurance knowledge. but it's pretty saturated in my particular area -- from what I heard, 3-4 exams + 1-3 internships is typical at entry level -- and I stopped the exam track because of concerns about relocating with my partner. (Being in this city is very important for her career, and relocating for actuarial science would probably involve leaving the country, which is out of the question.) Might as well put in some applications locally.

I haven't officially rejected the M.Sc., but I called on my contacts and 50% of the people who heard the name of the school said, "Get a grad degree anywhere else." I like the professors I would be working with and I believe I could get a good self-directed education, but the school's reputation is horrible for various reasons. So I think I will spend this year job hunting, apply for programs at better universities, and see where it takes me.