Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

I hire people like this sort of profile as entry level researchers, but you'd have to be in the NYC area. Most of the data analyst jobs out there are for finance with some marketing. If you're interested in public policy like I am though, the best options are consulting-ish firms like Mathematica or MDRC. If by chance that's what you're interested in I'm happy to talk, otherwise search for jobs with titles like "analyst" or "research", and skills like VBA, vlookup, STATA, etc...

There's probably some low hanging fruit for you. Learn vlookup and pivot tables for Excel like your life depends on it, and learn basic SQL queries (pretty much know what SELECT, INNER JOIN, and WHERE do.) Those are both pretty easy to learn but very useful and in demand.

I don't mean to sound flippant, but I'm surprised there are circles where VLOOKUP is a "skill;" I mean it takes liek 2 minutes to read the documentation and understand how it works. And pivot tables are pretty much just point-and-click.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU