Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Bloodbath posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask but I wasn't sure. Essentially I'm asking for advice/experiences with moving into a new type of career, without anything in the way of experience. I don't have a degree or any qualifications of value as I moved from England to Australia at 21 (previous jobs were temp stuff), and have worked a full time job pretty much since then. It's an office job, working in superannuation and I'm really good at it. I started at the bottom with no experience but I did well in the interview, and over time have progressed through roles, learned a lot and I get paid pretty well considering my total lack of experience/qualifications.

I'm just so bored of it though and for years have wanted to leave, but am never sure where to begin then I convince myself my job isn't that bad and I'm fortunate to have an income which is all true, but it's just so dull, and not at all something I'm interested in. I've got lots of interests but super/insurance/finance isn't one of them. I'm a good typist so gravitated towards that field but really don't want to spend my life there.

I have checked Seek.com.au (seems to be Australia's most popular jobhunting site) and couldn't find a single job that didn't require previous experience or a degree..except for entry level office jobs :(

I can rattle off stuff that doesn't need a degree. What are you interested in? Do you want money, a 30hr week, violence, sex, a job 10 minutes commute away, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Amazon are bastards. Even more so than most 'Merica companys. Ask for $15-20hr and see what they do.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Jerome Louis posted:

Any advice for writing resignation letters? I'm interviewing now for a few different positions, looking to leave my current company mid to late June. I've never written a formal resignation letter because most of my previous jobs were low-level retail or kitchen kinda stuff where I just told the manager I was leaving in two weeks. Is two week notice still standard in the corporate world?

Two weeks notice is the general rule. Tell them face to face, in writing you just have to put "as per my conversation with John Doe on the 18 march 2014, I'm giving two weeks notice, and my last day of work will be."

Also just because you're doing the right thing doesn't mean the company will. Check your contract and state laws. You could give notice and they say well don't bother coming in tomorrow and be within their rights.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Ask in auspol in debate and discussion.

Depends what you want to do, why you're leaving your current job. You'll have more opportunities in the eastern states.

If it's quality of life; try and get a council or state or federal govt job. 36.5hr week, 12% superannuation, 55k starting. You won't set the world on fire with money but you can actually have a life.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Oilfield services might have something for you where you get to use IT and be hands on.
Schlumberger, Halliburton are the big boys you want to look at.
Before you chuck in your webdesign, make sure you get as many certs as you can before you head out of the door.
Welding is pretty boring, depending on what you're making. You'd be better looking up oilfield services and see what they like about you. You could be heading out to the Dakotas for oil and gas drilling or support before you know it.

You would not necessarily be a roughneck. There's mud work, cementing, admin support etc roles you could do.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

lazy old sun posted:

As a person who went the other direction (spent years working as a mechanic, went back to school and now have an office job), working with your hands sucks. Every day that I'm not getting filthy and breaking my body at work is a blessing.

I'd recommend picking up something hands on as a hobby if it's an urge you are having. Just be warned, it started as a hobby for me as well, and it's much less fun when it's your job.

If you're under 30 there's always the longing among some to go to sea, drive a truck, run away to the French foreign legion, etc just to experience something different than the office. It'll make going back to the office later easier having done something. With the economy in the new normal if you've got a middle class job you want to hold on to that, because they ain't making many more.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I like my current job, but I hate the corporate culture that goes with it. The company I work for is a medium business that's never lost its small business mindset, which means its not very good at operating as business as opposed to some kind of ideological vehicle. An example, my computer was an XP machine, I have a completely computer based job and do a lot of heavy duty graphics stuff, along with databases and stuff, so I would spend about 3 hours everyday just staring at the screen (this is not an exaggeration) waiting for it to finish crashing. It's been this way for years, the company knew about it, but didn't want to do anything about it, I'm not senior enough for a better machine. Fair enough. In a normal company you'd add up the hours of me sitting on my rear end vs cost of the computer and work it out, so when they hired my new boss and I told her about it, of course she went apeshit. Anyway, long and short of it is, there's only so much you can to do change corporate culture if you're not on the board or whatever, even if your manager's in your corner.

So I've been trying to get a new job for about 2 years, but my interviews have been getting progressively more terrible. So I figure I'm probably not going after the right kind of jobs, but I have absolutely no clue what the right kind might be.

Things I can do:
- Copywriting
- Translating
- Localisation management
- Excel/databases

Things I can't do/suck about current job:
- Super long hours
- Commute
- No respect (Sure big boss, it's definitely "after the noon" not "afternoon", I'm just an idiot that knows poo poo all about their native language. You should definitely plaster that all over your big, expensive promo then get angry at me)

Any ideas?

Cut and paste the work section from your resume.
Have you got good samples of work you've translated and copy edited?
What do you want from the job and how much do you want to be paid?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Pistol Packin Poet posted:

I've been a bank teller for about 8 months at a local regional bank and I was thinking about jumping ship to another competitor. I built a lot of good relationships from my current branch, but felt that there was an opportunity waiting for me to advance on my career path while making more money.

My current situation at my bank is that we are running with a skeleton crew since one of my co-workers is on maternity leave while another was promoted to the main office. This led me to being given more hours lately and there were talks of promoting me to the Senior Bank Teller position upgrading my pay a dollar more an hour. Aside from a few members of the bank, I really like working with my co-workers. I do have a good working relationship with my market manager, teller manager, and teller lead. Unfortunately, there are a few things that put my moral at an all-time low.

While there are both positives and negatives to working at my current bank, I feel the need for a fresh start elsewhere. I will be given more hours and a decent starting salary if I jump ship. I just feel a little guilty jumping from my bank to a competitor after working hard to get adjusted with my branch. And I feel like I'm screwing people at my branch over since they are already hiring another teller while working with a skeleton crew after just giving me more hours.

What should I do? Should I stick with my just above low morale, minimum wage job or should I take a job that would advance my career? Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

I should've read this thread more closely, especially with the last page. This makes me feel better wanting to jump ship.
Brush up your resume, finish any qualifications you can earn at your employer, change job, receive pay rise of 10%, stay at next job for a couple of years. Repeat. The biggest pay rise you'll recieve is when you change jobs. The only reason you stay at one job for a while is to learn new skills for the next job move and next pay rise.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

There's more money and future job options in analysis. You can always use your existing experience in investigations to show you have a more developed idea than any of your revivals.

I hate he cold but out of the options, you'll have a clean start, with people who enjoy their job, and are setting yourself up for future job moves. If you put up with the cold for a few years, you'd be able to jump up to the $80-100k.

Your existing company has hosed you around and will continue to gently caress you around. Don't reward that behaviour.

The easiest way to think about it is which job sets you up for the next state of your career and the job you'll be applying for in 3-5 years time.
Other legit factors being where's best for kids, family etc. your partner will probably have more options in Chicago than DFW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Take a chance with the biomass, it's not like the UK or the Great Recession are going away any time soon