Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Valex posted:

After double-checking the program requirements, I realized I was a bit off-base when I said I was most of the way to a math degree, sorry about that. I'm decently close, but I'd need 4 more classes I think (I probably couldn't go back to school for it, since I don't really have the money)
I've taken Calc 1-3, Linear/Abstract Algebra, Discrete, Probability, and Geometry

I've been interested in tutoring but I got the impression it was more of a part-time gig. Would it be possible to make a livable wage from that?

It depends. There are people who make careers out of working at Kaplan test centers (I know someone in NYC who's worked his way up at Kaplan for the last couple years, and makes enough to live in Bushwick with a couple roommates).

If you have a degree from a university considered very prestigious you can make upwards of $70 dollars an hour doing private tutoring if you can find people who care about that sort of thing (I imagine the Upper East side or whatever probably has a ton of those people). In places like Korea it can get much, much higher (and only speaking English wouldn't really hurt you except you know, socially and whatnot).

It's very much a privilege begetting privilege thing.

Otherwise, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

I'm in kind of an odd spot, and I'd like some direction.

I'm 22 years old, and have taken the last 3 years off from school to work (left after my freshman year) and figure out my life.

Since then, I've done the following (in order, such as it is):

--Worked as a counselor at a queer rights non-profit
--Worked as a children's museum arts coordinator.
--Took 2 semesters of classes, back-to-back, at 2 different colleges (1 at each).
--Started a non-profit, that fell short in the first funding round but was a good learning experience.
--Worked as a product manager/developer/etc. for an early stage start-up (this one was much more successful)

In the fall I'm going to return to school, and will likely major in Sociology or Gender Studies, with at least a minor in CS. I enjoy the former more, but I like the opportunities the latter affords and find programming pretty interesting.

For now though, I have the rest of the year until September free, living in DC.

I ended up really enjoying two threads within my time off -- the product management/development/research at the start-ups, and the research/statistics work that I did on queer rights/sociological stuff in my classes.

I'm currently in the process of applying for short-term positions, but I'm having two problems:

1) I'm not sure how to sell myself.

I do have a high gpa, and all the schools I attended are very prestigious, but my coursework consists mostly of things like "Random Grad School Anthro class" and "Intensive Humanities Seminar X", which don't really translate into quantifiable skills as well as I would like. Also, although the first three jobs aren't particularly impressive, I did quite well at the last one with very little experience (when my role got filled when I left, it was by an MBA candidate with a mid six figure salary -- which made me feel kind of bad about my practically non-existent salary but I digress). The problem is, although the start-up has gone through a first funding round, I'm still under an NDA so I can't do anything more than be very vague about my role, and I can't get list them as a reference.

Also, I know I should tailor my resume to the job posting, and have some good experience, but I'm not sure how to do that without making it look like I have huge gaps.

One last advantage is that I don't really need much in the way of a salary (very low expenses and a good bit of savings), but I'm not sure how to use that to get a foot in the door without seeming like I don't have much faith in my abilities. And honestly, I'd rather get as much as I can given I'm still going to have to pay for 2 or 3 years of undergrad.

In terms of disadvantages: I don't have a degree, I'm well off the recruiting cycle and am asking for a very weird time-frame and I have a very disparate job history. I'm sure there's more I'm missing.

2) I'm not really sure where to apply. I find the idea of working for somewhere like Bridgespan or FSG really appealing, but I don't know A) what experience right now would help and B) where I could actually get an offer. Should I just cold-email people, state what I'm willing to do, and pray?

Right now, I'm doing elance with my brother mostly as a way to gain skills and taking classes in the data science track on Coursera. I know that it will get a lot easier to get jobs and whatnot when I return to school, but I really want to take advantage of this period and do something useful.

As you can probably tell from this confused wall of text, I basically have no idea what the gently caress. If there's anything I left out or that would be good for me to get a handle on please let me know as well.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

This may be a bit of a ramble, so apologies in advance.

I'm currently working as a 'Senior Data Analyst'. My team is great and my job is fully remote with excellent work-life balance. The subject area I'm working on (games, but design not monetization) is interesting, I've been getting promoted quickly and there's a pretty clear path to becoming a Lead in the next year or two (albeit, assuming that the ongoing contraction of the whole industry doesn't put a hold on promotions). My boss is great, gives me a lot of freedom to choose projects, and is a v good advocate. I initially decided to start as an analyst rather than a data scientist because I wanted to explore design & data work, and this seemed like a good middle ground. My plan as of yesterday was to see what lead work was like, and then decide if I wanted to keep going or lateral.

However, my company just opened up a lot of data science roles, including 2 where I'd specialize on the same type of problem I work on as an analyst right now, and another that matches up with what I did (and enjoyed) in school really well. One of the reasons I was reluctant to try DS is that I just don't find optimizing monetization very interesting (a v common focus in games), but both of these are things I'm much more excited about. There aren't usually this many roles open, and it could be a good number of years before similar roles open up.

I've also found that there are some parts of analytics I don't care for - i.e., a lot of the time in practice the best tool for a given problem is just a directional analysis with some graphs, which can be interesting as a data storytelling problem, but just isn't fun for me to put together, and I don't feel like I'm learning. I do like the heavy collaboration and problem-solving, but the projects I've enjoyed more are ones where I'm figuring out how to simulate a system, or putting together a model, etc. etc. After the initial year or so of getting up to speed with data wrangling etc., I've been feeling a bit stagnant. It turns out learning is a lot more important for me than promotions or honestly even impact in terms of feeling satisfied with my work vOv. I kind of miss just really going deep on a project...

I obviously don't know if I'd get the roles - I have a BS in Computer Science, with a focus on NLP and a lot of grad coursework, but most people have PhDs/Masters degrees, and I haven't used a lot of the skills from school much in my current work that'll be most relevant in these new roles. But I'd have some v strong internal advocates, and it seems like it makes sense to at least apply?

Honestly the main things I'm worried about are:
1. I have some health problems that mean I have to take more time off sometimes, and the sub-org I'm working at right now, and my boss specifically, are v good about making time for that. Worried there might be different expectations elsewhere vOv
2. The unknown!

I do feel bad, because my boss has talked about how he wants to set me up as a leader on the team and whatnot, but I have also made it pretty clear that I'm not sure if I may want to explore DS at some point so vOv.

I'm talking with some coworkers on the DS team about the roles later today. Are there any questions y'all would suggest making sure to ask?

I do think if they're fully in-office - or I'd have to move - that'd be a dealbreaker, but otherwise as I write this out I realize I probably should at least apply, but would definitely appreciate any advice re: what to look out for with the other roles, tips on doing well with this kind of application or any other advice/thoughts!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Ty, nice to have it validated for sure!

Lockback posted:

If your boss is as good as you say and you have trust with them, talk this out. Say basically what you said here. "I really like this job and I am excited about the lead opportunities, but I also think I should look into this other path too. What do you think?"

Yup, good call- scheduled some time with him tomorrow. I guess the next thing is to cram reviewing my DS coursework in the next week before the interviews...