Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

mfaley posted:

In my experience, getting off the career train into an unrelated job is kind of a big deal.

It is hard to overstate this, if I see someone with 10 years in one career path then suddenly swaps to something completely unrelated a few things cross my mind.

1. It means that this person is unlikely to be willing to let me leverage their previous skillset, as they obviously don't want to use it.
2. If I have to discount 10 years of work experience, is this person still a viable candidate?
3. Any references from their last career have to be vetted, as I doubt that they were really their supervisor (not thinking about this cost me once)

Generally I try to just judge the person as raw potential and see if they are suitable to learn the skills that I will need them to be effective.
Having said this, if they were a retail manager, and wanted to move into it management (pure people management) I would consider those skills transferable, some things don't change that much really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU