Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Any advice on how to find consulting gigs on your own? I have fallen back-assward into a few consulting relationships as a niche subject matter expert that have both paid off pretty well, and I'd like to keep this sort of business going but I don't know how to find new clients. Job searches for 'consultant' churn up a lot of what looks like W2 work for consultant firms. Just curious if there's an actual way people go about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Friend, if you find that mythical job please let me know.

Just showing up, clocking in, doing the tasks, clocking out, on a steady and reliable schedule sounds so good.

I have many work hours and work stress but low money. I want low work hours and stress but high money!!!

Gahhh I don’t want to code and idk if I’d even make it as a coder but idk what else is out there.

I think I have that job - I have a friend who wants to get me to work in his hedge fund group for insane salary and I basically said thanks but no thanks, I do fine where I’m at and it’s the least amount of work for the most money I’ve ever had and you can’t put a price on that.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

It’s a niche applied science field - the Achilles heel is that it is handcuffed to the operation of a department of the US government, so demand is inexhaustible (which is good) but occasionally the client can’t find its own rear end with both hands and a flashlight (which is bad)

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

ultrafilter posted:

The academic job market is terrible and you're probably not going to get a job there. That's no slight against you; it's just how the odds are.

Can confirm.