Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sensenmann420
Jun 24, 2023
Hey guys, another former academic looking to find my way through this nasty world.

I have a doctorate in Philosophy (focus on mathematical foundations of science). After I finished my program, I found work for a small consulting firm that builds Semantic Technology, as an ontologist. Now I get to make all my academic friends jealous with my paychecks, and the fact I get to work on cool projects.

However, I really really hate the person I work for, and Im not sure I would enjoy my role entirely even in a new situation. We are a small team, 7 people and my boss also owns the company. He has every toxic trait in the book, its rubbed off on everyone else and my job satisfaction is quite low. I was wondering if you guys could help suggest some ways I could pivot, since this is my first 'real' job.

I do a lot of data analysis, and modelling, and a suprisingly large amount of time coding (python). I also do research and write reports. My favorite thing by far, and my biggest strength on the team, is trailblazing on a new project - i.e. cracking open someones backend ETL process, reverse engineering it and coming up with a model of source and target domains. I am not so great on cleanliness and typical engineering precision, and get bored easily. The other engineers on my team like to joke that I would make a great sales guy.

This has had me thinking. Do you folks know any types of roles to shoot for that would suit my background and personality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sensenmann420
Jun 24, 2023

Epitope posted:

Dunno if this is helpful but the people I know with kinda similar background that found creative career path options and good work life balance work here

https://www.axiomdatascience.com/

Maybe there's keywords or something to follow on

Ah this is amazing, thanks much