Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Wagoneer posted:

Ugh, so today is the day I turn in my 2 weeks notice and my stomach is twisting. I'm spending the entire time thinking of reasons I should stay. Wish me luck.

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

Not sure if this could lead to a different career path, but it might. My boss of two months (he "recruited" me from another team) is jumping ship to a smaller, but growing, and less TPS company. In our last conversation, he said that he'd be building the team from scratch, and that he'd miss competent people like me. Now, this wasn't said in once sentence, but I still see it as an opportunity. Any ideas on how to tactfully convey my willingness to go along with him?

In a situation other than at your current job with other people around (or using work email) tell him straight up that you would be interested in a job. If you don't feel like being that totally direct then something more like "I'd love to learn more about what they are doing over there" would still get your point across.

If you won't see him and you don't have his personal email/phone number there's nothing wrong with using work email to ask for his personal contact info to "keep in touch".

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 29, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

marsisol posted:

I will also be moving soon to a very, very expensive part of NJ and I definitely need a raise to stay comfortable. How should I go about asking for more money? How much could I get away with? I was thinking about a bump to 45k would be reasonable.

Are you moving of your own volition or are you moving for work related reasons?

Because if it is your own decision nobody is going to give you a raise just so you can move to somewhere with higher rent. Your rent isn't their problem (unless they are asking you to move to somewhere with a higher rent than your current location, in which case it is totally reasonable for you to expect them to give you a raise to cover it).

Instead ask yourself how much value you bring in to the consulting firm. Your ability to make him more money than he could without you around is what determines how much your boss is willing to pay you. If he really does think you're a long term part of the company then you should have a good argument that you bring more than $40k in excess value.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 17, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Are there any good resources to look at for transitioning in to consulting or contract work mid career? I do technical project management at a non FAANG big tech and already get insurance via my wife because she works for the state and has a better plan than what my employer offers. Which has caused me to start to consider what options are out there where I can trade higher pay for not having access to benefits that I don’t care about anyway (I know I’d have to consider if I lost 401k match or if I had to start paying taxes as self employed but that’s be something I’d worry about if I got to the point where I had an offer). I’ve got all the boxes checked, an MBA, PMP, Scrum certified, etc. And I am happy as a TPM so I would be looking to stay in that type of role or something adjacent to it. But looking online all the resources I can find are just about jumping straight off the deep end and becoming a full time self employed consultant. I think I’m probably more looking at what it would take to join a contracting house and dip my toes in to with some six month or 1 year contracts.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 10, 2022