Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
So this seems like a good place to seek some help:

I'm 29, going to be 30 in September. I have no debt to speak of with about $14k in savings. I am currently an editor for the marketing side of an NYC civil engineering firm making $60k a year. I have probably $30k in a ROTH IRA. I am also probably going to inherit about $60k soon, which will go straight into savings.

I am incredibly lucky and I have almost 6 years of editorial experience out of 8 years office experience total, but I am pretty much beaten up and exhausted by NYC and bored by working in technical editorial fields (finance, textbooks, civil engineering).

Some of my friends moved out to LA to be TV and screenwriters and they're really struggling to make ends meet, but I'm still drawn to writing screenplays and stories in my spare time. I am looking to stay with a full-time job in editorial, with the caveat that I'd like to find something a lot less dry to work on. A friend is helping me put together a copywriting portfolio for freelance work on the side and eventually I'd love for that to be my full-time career, but in the meantime should I move outside of the city and try to find work that keeps me more engaged? Like a lot of other goons, I'm really drawn to work in the tech, gaming, comic, film, and television industries in particular. Can I jump laterally into a corporate communicator position for one of these industries without sacrificing my career progress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU