Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I need some advice for next steps on my career path.

I'm currently living in Thailand, happily married, late 30's, looking to transition back to a role in the US and move back there when my wife's visa paperwork is approved later this year.

I worked here as an English teacher at an International School here for 4 years, studying programming / web development on the side. I left the school job last June with the goal of studying coding full time, but I found I had no passion for it, and was discouraged hearing about the current job market being so oversaturated, so I started doing freelance writing on Upwork and have been doing decently at that, landing a good client and saving money for when we move back.

I'm a certain crossroads now with my career and feel kind of overwhelmed what to do next. My role before I left for Thailand was Project Manager, and I'm thinking I might want to transition back into that. Everyone at my old company has moved on or is gone but I'm starting to reach back out to some of them.

On my LinkedIn I have listed 2 years experience of freelance web development experience, since that's when I started the bootcamp, and I did a few little projects and even one an award on Netlify for one, but I'm wondering if it's worth even including it still since I want to go in a new direction.

I'd really appreciate any advice about what are the next best steps I can take. The dream right now is to land a fulltime remote position back in the US that's OK with the current timezone difference before I move back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU