Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
You don't like being at the beck and call of clients, but want to join a VC firm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Ultimate Mango posted:

That was an incredible article, but my personal experience with internal salary negotiations early in my career was very different. I was able to double my salary twice in a couple of years by going in exactly with the value of the projects on worked and knowing my actual value in the market without having to leave.

I suppose industry, location, and employer will make a huge difference in the outcome of these discussions.

I mean, what was your starting salary? For a lot of professions that'd be you making six figures with 3-4 years of experience which sounds pretty high for most fields. I'm talking about normal places as well, not mega high cost of living cities where making 70k is getting by.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

ProFootballGuy posted:

In tech or engineering, if you're not making six figures you're doing something horribly wrong.

Cool, that's two whole professions and their starting salaries are high enough that you aren't going to have it double twice in a 5 years except in extreme fringe cases.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Doesn't that require like 10 years of tests?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Vomik posted:

No. I would say 5-6 on the mid-high end with a couple of those years in college. It took me 2.5-3 with one of them in college (some time spent waiting in between required seminars so I don't count it all as study time)

Everything I've heard/read says longer. I also found this thing which seems to suggest that:
http://www.casact.org/admissions/reports/travel2010.pdf

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I don't mean to sound flippant, but I'm surprised there are circles where VLOOKUP is a "skill;" I mean it takes liek 2 minutes to read the documentation and understand how it works. And pivot tables are pretty much just point-and-click.

You'd probably be blown away how many people press the copy button and then press the paste button.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

But it works so well when I put an X in the box.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Haven't you been there like 2 months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Payroll administrators basically never make less than $50,000 a year where I am and one that knows actual VBA would be some kind of superman never seen before.