Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Interesting idea for a thread, pretty well-timed for me as well.

My current career path will probably be ending in 18-24 months. Basically due to the combination of my location (Tokyo), industry (finance), role (derivatives operations), and company (the one exiting the derivatives business), I expect to either be forced to relocate to Singapore/Shanghai or be in the street within 18-24 months. So I'm evaluating my options.

I knew this path would be relatively short before I signed up, so it's not like I'm being caught off-guard. But for the past 6 years I've been lazy; I haven't given enough thought to taking the next step. Investment banking operations doesn't really prepare you with a skill set applicable in lots of other industries, since we're not qualified (i.e. we're not accountants/CPAs/laywers/anything), nor are we analytic (we aren't traders or investment bankers) nor good salespeople (we're not sales/marketing).

Seems like every one of my options has some pitfall:
1. Roll with the punches, stay in my department/company, get promoted, move to a new city blah blah. It may be a nice change of pace and definitely wouldn't be a BAD lifestyle. But it would be increasingly competitive... as an industry we're just getting more and more desperate by the day. Also I can't stand the thought of being 50 years old, looking back on my career, and seeing that I've spent decades of my life doing this.
2. Switch companies to stay in Tokyo. Easy enough, people do it all the time, but I have a feeling I'll be in the same boat in 2-3 years time.
3. Switch roles. Once in a blue moon an opportunity arises for an operations person to take a role in front office (typically sales/trading). Maybe the work would be slightly more engaging. But not enough?
4. MBA is sort of the textbook post-banking career path. I have enough savings that I could go, debt-free, but that doesn't instantly make it worthwhile. Why do I need an MBA, or the network that comes with it? Until I can answer that question, I have no reason to go.
5. Try and swing into a different career. I interview well and my resume looks nice on paper, but realistically speaking it's going to be very difficult to apply my experience. I'd be heavily reliant on soft skills. Plus there's the pesky salary issue... nobody wants a pay cut, which I'm virtually guaranteed by switching away from finance.
6. Turn my back on all of that and do something completely unrelated. Some of these options are more realistic than others: starting a pineapple farm, bartending, teaching English, starting a business, taking a white-privilege gap year to travel, volunteering

Combination of #4 and #5 seems like the best. I need to dust off that GMAT textbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

If you're going for less than a year chances are you'll be an expatriate, so I would expect your salary remains largely unchanged but basically everything should be covered (lowering your expenses). Plane ticket, moving expenses, housing, cost of living allowance, etc.

If it's longer, they might request you transfer to your company's US entity. So you'll have a chance to negotiate because you'll need to sign a new contract and all that.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

Yay :unsmith: just got word that I got a 11% raise.

The biggest thing coming out of the meeting is that I need to start learning how to be a much more strategic thinker. Does that basically mean I need to be able to anticipate what executives want to hear and be able to communicate to them in a way that makes sense to them?

Congrats! I guess. I don't know if 11% is what you were expecting or not.

Strategy can mean almost anything depending on your company. It may mean hiring 20 people, it may mean firing 15 people, it might mean a new marketing campaign, it might mean using Mac OS instead of Windows. So your best bet is to ask directly what the heck that means. But in my experience it's usually associated with something that you/your company tries to be better than the competition over the long term.

In my company we have tactical solutions for problems, and strategic solutions for problems. Tactical solution implies it's sort of a stopgap measure, something we throw together quickly (often locally/regionally) to prevent a problem x from getting out of hand. However the strategic solution is something like replacing our entire architecture which will solve problems x y and z. But doing the latter is drastically more complicated so has a longer timeline, bigger budget, more people involved, global sign-off, etc. etc. requires more resources.

Pretty sure this stems from the military definitions of the words. In business a lot of people just summarize to say strategy is the "what" and tactics are the "how."

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I've heard 2-3 years minimum (I'm also in finance), otherwise you'll look like too much of a flake on your resume.

In the meantime you should update your linkedin profile etc. if you haven't already.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

What Color is Your Parachute

I'm still working my way through it, but pretty good so far. I'm sorta in the same position as you.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

If I can figure out how to buy this on Amazon and read this on my tablet, I will give this a look.

Simple enough, there's a Kindle app for iOS and Android, and that book is in the Kindle store.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

About to graduate with a Bachelor's in Supply Chain Management (with other stuff sprinkled in), spring '18.

Now I just need to figure out how to dodge the enormous automation bullet and I'll be set boys. It's all gonna work out no ragrets.

Dodge? You should be the one firing that bullet.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Look into investment banking operations, we paid people wheelbarrows full of money to automate poo poo in any way possible. If you have a change mindset--which you can evidence with your green belt--you should be golden. Nobody cares about your GPA if you've already been working a few years.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

On the bright side, you won't miss the family vacation.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

They tend to be hungry just in general

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

mekyabetsu posted:

but they can just call my former employer and hear all about what a horrible person I am, so what’s the point?

I'm not an HR person but from what I've seen, most companies these days are afraid of getting sued for talking smack about former employees. So the most they do is confirm/deny objective information like your salary and dates of employment.

However that's the company saying things. Depending on your industry, the person(s) considering you at the new company may have private connections with people at your current place. That's much more likely to be an off-the-record conversation about your performance, attitude, and personality.

So if your current place is fairly isolated or obscure, I'd say yeah, screw worrying about leaving on their terms.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

From a vastly different industry (finance), but I happen to have my offer letters from my last couple jobs right here. The one from my first job contains the following sections:
-Role
-Location of work
-Salary
-Working hours
-Discretionary Performance Incentive Scheme
-Probation
-Company Housing Program
-Relocation Payment
-Social Insurance Contributions
-Retirement Pension Plan
-Secondment
-Rules of Employment
-Employment and Personal Information
-Termination
-Non-Competition
-Non-Soilcitation
-General
-Confidentiality, Intellectual Property and Inventions

And the second job:
-Commencement Date
-Corporate Title
-Manager
-Division
-Department
-Workplace
-Annual Base Salary
-Standard Terms & Conditions

A bare-bones offer letter would contain only things specific to your situation. Something like a car use or expense policy is likely codified somewhere else, since it's probably standard for everyone with a given title or job.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Cockblocktopus posted:

Yeah I'm only looking at multinationals with established presences in both countries right now. In theory I'd be able to land a job "in Canada" then just be employed through their US office instead until Date X, then I'd transfer to Canada.

My wife's work is supportive of her working from Canada but I know that it's going to be a huge pain in the rear end to actually get that set up.

I'm a bit confused. You want to transfer to the Canadian arm of your current firm? Or you're looking for a new company entirely?
In either case, it's best to reach out to the Canadians directly. Since you already have dual citizenship they'll probably just treat you as they would any other local hire.

If you just want to live in a different country from the one where your company is headquartered, that's an entirely different ballgame. For example, how would you get paid? Would you expect them to make an international wire transfer to pay your salary? Or just keep receiving your paycheck in the US (which requires you to maintain a US bank account, and thus a US mailing address)?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Cockblocktopus posted:

I'd be looking at moving to a new company (my current employer only has US employees). In theory I'd probably expect to work through, say, August 31 in the US then start September 1 in Canada and get switched over from US tax to Canadian tax on 9/1 (when I'd legitimately be moving) but this is already going past what I've figured out. Presumably there'd be some adjustment of compensation associated, but I'm in a low-cost of living area right now so I'm not too worried about that at this point.

I'm specifically thinking a company like Google that's already anticipating being WFH through mid-2021 (or possibly even better, a company that's already fully remote or switching to that model) would be a good choice for this since I could fold my relocation into their return process, but this is all literally some harebrained scheme that I've cooked up in the last 48 hours so I'm kind of gut-checking here before going too deep.

Obviously this would be something I'd mention in my cover letter and discuss early in a phone interview but I'm just vaguely curious if it's plausible right now.

(I also sincerely love my current job and would keep it if at all possible but I can't see my current employer supporting me working in another country indefinitely.)

I'm still not really following. Why not just tell Google Canada that you're planning on moving to Canada on $${SPECIFIC_DATE}, and you would look to start soon after that? Then you can keep your current job that you sincerely love right up until you move.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

In my experience, unless you're very senior-level, branches of multinational corporations often have little say over who gets placed in other countries' branches. I doubt Google will be able to promise you that there will be a position for you in Canuck Google a year from now, and that you will be the one to fill it rather than a local person. If there's an empty seat at Google Canada they probably want it filled now, and not in a year.

Cockblocktopus posted:

All things being equal, I'd rather have a job lined up before moving since my timetable will be tied to my wife's immigration processes.

You can do exactly this. Talk to recruiters in your industry in Canada. When the timing is right they'll hopefully be able to get you some interviews. You'll sign a contract to start on X date in Canada and your relocation allowance will be CAD$whatever.

What might be difficult is both you and your wife finding something that starts on the exact same date. In that case, yeah, see step C of the previous post.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

currently make $45,000 a year with good benefits.

the reason my job pays so much

tbh I was expecting "so little" here instead of "so much." As other posters have said it really depends on COL in your area and your field.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Yep and he still hasn't said what industry or area he's in so we can tell him everything will be okay, averages are averages for a reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Unsatisfied with career. What do I do?

~10 years working in banking, 5 of those being in compliance/anti-money laundering.

I'm in the North Bay Area, used to make $90k as a contractor, currenting $65k as a full time employee with benefits, full time work from home job (even without Covid). Wife makes about the same, but she has to drive to the office daily. We have no problem paying the bills/mortgage/saving.

I am just completely unmotivated at my job. Boss is a good guy, work is pretty boring. I do 1-2 hours of real work per day, which is just enough to get by. My department doesn't make the company money, so there is no investment in technology. My current spot involves a lot of copy&paste information from one system into Word to type a report, and then copy&paste into Excel to track trends.

I spend my days watching youtube videos of ranchers/farmers/homesteaders, dreaming of an outdoors life. I guess I'm having a mid-life crisis, I'm in my upper 30's. I just don't know what to do. I don't know if I could go back to an office job after working from home for so long. I should be grateful to my job, they are above average from the banks I have worked at before. I feel like I'm just wasting away with no goals. I'm basically living Office Space, except with a happy marriage.

I'm in a similar situation, late 30s and spent 10+ years in a cost center in a financial firm. I'm in a new department now (marketing) but tbh it's not a huge difference given I still do a ton of copy&paste/data janitor kind of work.

In my case I've fully checked out. I've committed to doing the bare minimum to not get canned, and I have no aspirations for management or promotion of any kind. In fact I would be opposed to it, since it would come with a lot more responsibility yet the pay bump wouldn't be enough.

Like you, I do perhaps 1-2 hours of actual work per day. But I've found a slightly better way to spend the rest of the time: rather than just consuming content, I create it. Obviously it's not for everyone, but to me it's very satisfying to be on that side of the fence. I'm contributing the conversation and have a (small) voice in a small niche I'm passionate about.

Of course I've entertained thoughts of doing that full-time, but frankly it's not about the tiny income it generates on the side. And realistically it probably won't ever overtake my full-time job's salary. But I'm completely fine with that. It exposes me to new people and things in a different industry.

So I've found a bit of peace by having a passion project. There's a ton of stuff you can do entirely online. Learn something, write something, start a gimmick Twitter, make Doom maps, whatever. If you do go into content creation, know that it's usually thankless and any misconceptions you may have about becoming a social media influencer or whatever will quickly be dispelled.

Even if not online, it's great to have something to call your own. Surely there's some way you can start something related to farming or homesteading etc during your downtime at work or home.