Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

chupacabraTERROR posted:

But I just want a job that pays a lot and I don't have to work that much is that so much to ask :mad:

Actuary. Make 150-200k easy with a 40 hour or less work week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Harry posted:

Doesn't that require like 10 years of tests?

No. I would say 5-6 on the mid-high end with a couple of those years in college. It took me 2.5-3 with one of them in college (some time spent waiting in between required seminars so I don't count it all as study time)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Harry posted:

Everything I've heard/read says longer. I also found this thing which seems to suggest that:
http://www.casact.org/admissions/reports/travel2010.pdf

That is the CAS which is just one of the societies. CAS is a bit longer than the SOA, but either way it's really up to your ability.

The first 5 are offered 4-5 times a year and the next 3-4 are offered 2 times a year. So travel time is more dependent on your pass rate than some time road block.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

BBQ Dave posted:

drat it I was looking for reasons to give up. I’m pursuing an MBA while working at a CCRC as a low level manager and thinking about giving up on the degree.

Been with the company three years: year one cook, year two dining room manager, year three same job at a different site.

I asked my boss (and her boss they were in the same room at the time) if they thought jumping into the MBA program corporate offered to help on would be a good move. Local university, all online. She told me go for it and we could be study buddies. She’s going after her MBA too. They’re absorbing about a third of the cost.

Thing is, I’m a cook food people person. I suck at math. Planning on marketing concentration since people seem to like hearing me talk.

I took two classes accounting and business research and bailed on accounting for the term because I work like a 60 hour week and I’m also a full time caregiver for my disabled wife. I dropped accounting before I had to pay or provide a grade.

So now my single four credit class is very challenging on top of everything. Money isn’t a problem for the moment but this could take 4+ years at the rate I’m going, if I don’t complete it AND stay employed at my site I will have to return the money and I’m terrified I’m taking time and money away from what’s important (my wife’s care and my work quality), but may not pay off.

Ive been in the trenches but have no credentials. There’s some less demanding biology food safety credentials I could go after instead. Thoughts?

I’ll be blunt. That online only local part-time MBA is and will be worthless. if you spent that time driving for Uber instead you’d come out ahead

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

kneelbeforezog posted:

I'd like to be a journalist who goes out and interviews people. Is there a thread for that in BFC? But I'd also take any job at this point as long as it pays the minimum for a college grad. I looked at USAgov jobs but most of those are military orientated or require me to travel to a new state, which I'd rather not do.

Bro I’d love to be a talk show host too and make 1m an episode. Maybe think more realistically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

chessrp posted:

I’m looking for a highly efficient way to make a living, and I’m wondering if cybersecurity could be it.

I’m 30. Although I consider myself to be intelligent, dependable, and hardworking (if and when necessary), I haven’t made a comfortable income at any time in my life. I’m looking to change that. An acquaintance who has worked in cybersecurity for the past 3 years says that his 100% remote job requires 4 hours of work per week and pays 6 figures. If I could find a job that was even 1/2 as good — i.e., a remote job working 4 hours/wk for $50k — I think I would be pretty happy.

As an undergrad in my late twenties (B.S. Horticulture), I stumbled into entrepreneurship. I started a company and raised $70k by (1) pitching my startup in pitch competitions and (2) getting university and state grants. After graduating, I raised ~$200k from angel investors. As is common with founders, I’ve taken a very low (<$20k) salary. I literally eat oatmeal, rice, and beans every day.

Because this is getting old, and I’m not sure if I should keep pouring all my time/energy into my startup, I’m looking for advice on which positions I should apply for based on my work experience. My tentative goal is to eventually end up in cybersecurity, making a living by not working that much. My hypothesis is that getting a job in the IT field in general (as a UI tester, for instance) will eventually lead to an open door into cybersecurity.

I’m wondering if my logic/plan makes sense given my work experience (below). If not, any advice on coming up with a better plan is much appreciated.

Founder/Inventor (1 issued patent, 2 others pending); 2016 - present
1. Define scope and objectives/direct a team of developers including hardware, software, firmware, and enclosure designer to take two different IoT products from POC to alpha, beta, and then sales phase
2. Identify bugs and propose solutions (i.e., translate customer “needs” into new features), validate fixes, and ensure follow through to all product/test phases
3. Perform all aspects of testing (e.g., functional, API, mobile/web UI, UAT); hands-on experience navigating Postman
4. Develop and contribute best practices and standards for deployment across multiple medium/large scale projects/accounts
5. Communicate test status to internal project team and clients
6. Direct contract manufacturer to ensure successful hardware assembly, flashing, testing, and potting
7. Present to decision makers at three major corporations in the market regarding hardware and/or API integration, licensing, and acquisition
8. Exhibit at or attend 10+ industry trade shows to develop business-development relationships with strategic partners and to acquire new customers
9. Manage relationship with network service provider (Comcast machineQ); negotiate low, “grandfathered” service rates and acquire a $10,000 subsidy for product development
10. Provide monthly progress reports to investors

Do you run your business and life like Tim Ferris? I’m getting that vibe. If so, reassess.

If not, let me know where you find the 2 hour a week 50k job. I’ll pick up 20 of them.