Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

cheese eats mouse posted:

So the senior Web Developer in our company is leaving, which means I'll be taking over a lot of the front-end work and will be the sole front-end developer. I don't think they're going to hire anyone else to replace her/me and they'll probably be relying on our back-end guy to help out.

I'm underpaid for my position, but they hired me with basically very little front-end experience, but now that I'll be spear-heading everything I think I have room to ask for a significant raise when June comes around (we do salary reviews 2x a year in June and December). We're a small company of >50 people. I have goals of leading our coding practices to follow a dynamic path and to be more mobile friendly.

I'm pulling 32,000 right now. What would be a good raise amount? I was thinking around 35-36.

Also, I'm in the mid-West and a girl. People love to low-ball me it seems.
Read this article about salary negotiation for engineers. It's aimed at negotiating salaries for when you're taking a new job, but I think it can help with mindset.

Also while the mid-west is obviously a lot cheaper than the coasts, that's still absurdly low for an experienced developer. How many years of experience do you have? If you have at least a couple, I'd say like 45k minimum would be a fair starting point. Definitely look around at glassdoor, and if they don't offer you enough, go somewhere else.

And you're right, being a girl probably means that you'll get offered less, because they know/think they can get away with it (because girls don't demand as much money).

It sounds like you're in a pretty good position to negotiate, though. But don't just say, "gimme more money or I'm out and you're screwed" (even though that's kind of the subtext), talk about the value you bring to the company: "I worked on X, X brought in Y additional dollars, so giving me a raise of Y/10 is practically a pittance (ok maybe don't use that exact word)."

edit: Are you friends with the senior developer at all? More friends with him than he is with management? If so, while outright asking for his currently salary would be too direct, you could try asking him what kind of salary he thinks you ought to have since you'll be taking over his responsibilities. That might give you some insight.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Shnooks posted:

Is this where we discuss how to ask for a raise or is there a better thread for that? I'm freaking out because I desperately need a raise after only working at my job for a year, but I make about average for the field I'm in.
I'm far from an expert on this, but:

1. The fact that you may need a raise matters zilch to your company, as it should be. If your finances are in disorder, maybe you should ask about them in other parts of BFC?

2. It probably won't hurt to ask, but make sure you talk about the value you deliver to your company, not why you need a raise for your personal situation. Ultimately, what gets you a raise is leverage. If they need you, and are afraid that you'll potentially leave, they'll probably be amenable to a raise. If you're easily replaceable, not so much.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Mortanis posted:

the area I'm in is mostly full of startup companies employing hot-poo poo kids that have been doing this since they were four rather than educated folks.
Do not worry about these people. Individuals that had enough coding experience as a minor to really put them ahead of others in a CS program are rare. For the most part that kind of experience helps a decent amount in your first few CS classes, but by the time you hit upper division classes it's irrelevant. Not many people code OS kernels or NP-complete algorithms as kids for fun. As long as you do well in your CS classes and get some other work experience (which you already have, but doing personal projects in more relevant languages would also help) you'll be fine.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

If company B is more desirable to you, the logical thing is to get their offer/rejection first, so I'd make up some excuse that puts off the interview with company A a week or two so as to buy time.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Let us know if they suddenly discover some latitude when you put in notice. Those stories are always funny.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

CS is a good choice for that assuming you can hack it, and spend long hours coding without wanting to kill yourself.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

plumper fuckbus posted:

I can't help but assume there's going to be a glut of CS grads in the next few years driving down salaries given how popular it seems to be to major in.
That's certainly possible. I mean, that's what's supposed to happen in a free(ish) market, right? And the flip side should be that other majors' occupations should start paying slightly more as their supply of new grads goes down. Who knows if that will actually happen though.

That said, I'm not super worried. Wages are so high right now that if they stagnated for a while that'd be fine, heck they could drop 25% and I'd hardly be destitute. Plus, while the bare basics of programming are pretty easy (anyone who can do high school algebra can figure out variables, loops, conditionals, etc.) in a real world application it's actually fairly challenging, mainly due to sheer scale. Learning the ins and outs of an application that is tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of lines of code, written over the course of years by three dozen different programmers with differing styles and conventions, separated into dozens of classes and packages and different systems, is hard. Hard enough that I don't think a large, permanent* salary drop is very likely except perhaps over the very long term, because most people probably can't handle non-trivial programming.

* we may be in somewhat of a bubble right now, so if that pops you'll probably see salaries drop a bit for a few years

MoosetheMooche posted:

Is college a viable route for computer science? Note I'm in Canada, here college is usually for applied subjects like trades and such. Most jobs I've seen here seem to require a BA in computer science. I don't want to go to university again though, I like the co-op/work experience/apprenticeships that are offered in college programs.
Yeah, in the states "college" is a generic term that can refer to 2-year community colleges, 4-year colleges, or universities.

I know the University of Waterloo is very well known for its co-op programs, so I wouldn't necessarily rule out university, although I have no clue about co-op programs at other Canadian schools.

edit: see - https://uwaterloo.ca/co-operative-education/about-co-operative-education

Cicero fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

For figuring out if you have artsy job potential, maybe ask the career thread in creative convention? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2563469