Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Cross-posting this from the COBOL Cavern in SH/SC for more general career advice:

Is anyone familiar with the OSU Computer Science online post-bac program? (http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/undergraduate/computer-science/) It's a program for previous degree holders to earn a CS degree in as little as one year by taking online courses. The degree conferred is the exact same one as the brick-and-mortar school. Though it's called a CS degree, the course work seems to be much more focused on software engineering and computer systems, though I've been assured that the necessary math components have been rolled into program. The curriculum for the one-year program is here: http://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/undergraduate/computer-science/CS-one-year-track-option.pdf

After graduating with an International Studies degree, I've been working for the past three years as an International Relations Coordinator for a municipal government office in Northern Japan doing project management, event planning, translation, public relations, and web development. My contract ends this August. I've always been interested in both math and coding, but have no formal education in either outside of basic classes and no practical experience to show for it outside of PHP / JavaScript / MySQL work I've done for my job.

I realize that getting a CS degree in one year is going to set off red flags with any potential employers, but I'm hoping to leverage my previous experience to land me an entry-level job where multinational communication is necessary. Is one year of dedicated study, resulting in a B.S. in CS, enough to think about an entry level job or internship in a software development role, or am I being overly optimistic? At 28, I also don't want to be away from working for longer than a year. Ultimately, I'd like a job that merges my project management and communications skills with technical skills, but I don't mind putting in the time getting up to speed in the industry.

Thanks so much for any advice!

NicelyNice fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU