Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I'm looking for some third-party opinions about a choice I'm faced with, it's one of the "I'm almost 30 and now what" deals:

Currently, I am 27, B.A. in geology, employed as a geologist in environmental consulting. Depending on overtime I'm currently making somewhere around $52-56k a year. Health insurance, three weeks payed vacation, 401k, etc. My fiance lives with me, and makes around 40k. Frequently I'm working long days because I'm driving all over the place, or stuck in a hotel room during the week. When I started I liked the idea of being outside a lot, but the irregular hours and exposure to the elements is really starting to wear on me. The company kind of sucks also, and I almost walked out the door back in February after they dumped a 3 month out of town project on me (which I'm still out of town for), after running 10-12 hour days since September, 6 weeks of which was also out of town. This is not what I want to do for the rest of my life.

Meanwhile, my friend works at a big box home improvement store, and just got promoted and transferred to a new store as a manager. He knows I hate my job and basically said he could easily sell me to his higher ups and put me in as another manager. This is a 40-hr a week job, making about $40k, plus health insurance, 401k, not sure about vacation. They also have tuition reimbursement and he basically went to school to get his masters for next to nothing. Unfortunately, he's still been unable to find a job in his field.

The idea of a regular schedule is really tempting to me, as I have been looking for more time to work on my health as well as attempt to run a side-gig to try and break out from my current career path. The idea would be that I take the retail manager position, and use the "down time" to work on re-tooling myself. Take business classes, work on running a part-time small business (likely geology-related, thinking geotourism or education), and try an break out on my own.

On the other hand, this would mean me taking a huge hit to my disposable income (like $900-1000/month). I would still be able to meet daily expenses and savings goals, but not a whole lot else. I also have some advanement potential at my current job, albeit nothing spectacular. The big project I'm currently on is a step up in responsibility. At the same time, a mid-level coworker just quit, and we've hired a few entry-level people, potentially setting me up for a promotion. The promotion wouldn't be anything spectacular, and the job wouldn't really change all that much, but it's still something. Again though, I really dislike the industry and want to break away badly.

So, am I crazy for considering dumping my good but soul-crushing job, for an easier gig so I can re-tool myself? For what it's worth, my fiance has said she'd rather see me make less money and be happier, than be miserable where I am. But there's no guarantee I'd actually be happier in the new place, and I'd feel like a huge chump if it didn't work out.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Sundae posted:

Also, make sure your buddy is being realistic on the 40-hours thing. Plenty of places say "oh, it's maybe 40-50 hours except during those rare rush times" and then slam you with salaried-exempt and 70+ forever because every time is rush time.

As far as I know, he's telling the truth as far as he knows it. He's been in the position before, although he's also been in the low-level positions where they DO get slammed. This, however, is a new location with presumably new upper management so who knows how it could shake out.

The other thing is that I'm eligible to get my Professional Geologist license. This wouldn't really improve my immediate situation but it could open up stuff down the line. Reflecting on that a bit, I would feel kinda stupid walking away from that after putting in the required time in the industry.

The prospect of a regular work week is so tempting though, ugh. I definitely need to change my job but I'm not sure if going to work in big box retail is the way to do it.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Yeah, I've had all those reasons in the back of my head as well. I keep telling myself I will just quit and drastically change my career but my reason keeps getting the better of me. I don't think it helps that my Facebook feed is filled with a bunch of old friends who have just been bumming around out in Montana and wherever in federal conservation programs and grad school. They're broke, taking on debt, and have few assets of any kind, but seem to be happy as hell.

I keep telling myself I'll be gloating when I'm 40 and in a much better position in life. :smith:

To be honest, if it weren't for the travel and long field days, the job I have doesn't suck so bad. But I'd like to move closer to family and buy a house. Problem is there is fewer jobs near them, and property is so expensive by where I live now that buying a house seems foolish. What I need is a decent job that is mostly separated from geographical constraints. I guess I need some of that internet money.

Fake Edit: E/N is leaking