Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Gray Ghost posted:

Can I jump laterally into a corporate communicator position for one of these industries without sacrificing my career progress?

I can't really say for sure but I feel like moving from one type of full-time writing to another wouldn't kill your momentum. Moving onto an LA friend's couch to try your hand an screenwriting, however, might. I have a one friend who has taken the last few years to try that. He's burned pretty much everything he had and has no exit strategy. Obviously it works out for some but man is that like playing the lottery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

Adding to this, they also trained the employee in question, provided support staff, and overhead.

Going to the boss and saying "I did it all and I deserve to be paid more" is more than likely not going to have a whole lot of traction.

... but document what you did, discuss it in reviews, and weave it into a larger case for a raise when you get the chance.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

TheDK posted:

Can anyone share some advice for internal interviews? A position will be opening soon for the next level of my position (I am a II, position opening is a III) and I have been advised to put in for it. While that makes me feel like a shoe-in for the position, I still want to make sure I don't look like a cock while going through the process.

I will likely be interviewed by people I currently report to or have previously reported to, but I also haven't gone through a formal interview in ~6 years. If I were offered this position it would be my second promotion in under 6 months which scares me a little.

I'm also working on updating my resume to reference more projects/achievements within the organization as the people that will be reviewing it will be familiar with those things.

Apologies if this is not the right place to ask. The whole thing came up fairly quickly and I'm just a little anxious about it!

Don't be anxious. I've gone through this a couple times. You can never really assume you're a shoe-in since that's foolish but if you were suggested to apply then they might have the position in mind for you. Even if they don't and it's wide open (or they have someone else in mind for it) putting in a good performance now will help down the road. Treat it like a real interview. You have a shared vocab with the interviewers because they know the work but try to find some ways to surprise them with aspects of your work that they don't know or impacts you've made that they haven't seen. Have you solved a problem in a way that was too technical to bubble up to management? Find a way to break that down for them in the interview so you get the credit you deserved.

Also, when they ask for examples of something that went wrong or something you could improve, have a great example ready of something that wasn't perfect but also provide the steps you took to solve it for the future to make sure it never happens again. Introspection is a good thing.

And don't be cutthroat. I know that every workplace is different but I talked up a coworker in an interview for a job that we were both going for rather than try to make myself out to be better than them. I don't know if that will always work but in my case I could see that the interviewer was surprised and impressed with the "humility." (I was just being honest and trying to not be a backstabber but the reaction I got told me it was not the expected answer.)

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Did they ask for references? I don't think I was asked. You could check with HR if it's appropriate. You might be overthinking. Assuming you guys do performance reviews or whatever they might just use those.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Shnooks posted:

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I would move after I land a position. There's no way in hell I'd move before I had a job lined up.

But the move has nothing to do with anything. The raise should be based on your performance and based on what the industry supports for your work. You can live in a fur house or a cardboard box and that your business, not your boss'. Make the case based on professional factors, not personal ones. Do you have any research into the salary range for your work?

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

ExcessiveForce posted:

Perhaps I'm not following, but why is retroactive tough since I was also working my old job?

I'm confident in pushing the limits as far as my salary and fringe (bonus plan is more than generous) but I was not sure if asking for the retro was just being greedy.

I am no negotiation expert but I'd say asking for retroactive doesn't make sense. It's common for someone to "step up" and take on higher-level responsibilities as an opportunity to show you can do it and learn the ropes, then get the promotion. That sounds pretty much like what happened here. Negotiate for the best salary and benefits you can get, but consider what's happened to date your "training and try out" period.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Your experience is somewhat like mine (although I never had any downtime at my crazy fast-paced job and my manager specifically tagged me for people management) but you're totally right about unexpected opportunities sometimes ending up being rewarding. I never in a million years imagined I'd be doing what I am where I am but I really like it and apparently I'm pretty good at it. I think the career counseling will be good so you can really dig into what you like and try to narrow down your options. Maybe some shorter shadows to just get a glimpse of different jobs would be good for you.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I totally agree. I mean, is your current job closer to your dream job than this one? Get in there, learn the biz, work really well with the product manager and see what happens!

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

I guess I just want some reaffirmation.

Quickly approaching my 1-year with my current employer as their environmental chemist. Put in for a promotion to run the laboratory at another factory owned by our company. Within a week, two management-level people called and discussed the position as well as a visit to the factory. It's been a month now and the only thing I get is "we're still working on the details."

Fast-forward to this week. My boss, the chief chemist here at this factory, is leaving as well. His assistant did the same thing I did and put in for the job. Which is perfect because we're both looking to advance, I despise this town, and he doesn't. However, his reply back about it was a bit more unsettling than telling me to wait. They said they would just reevaluate his pay in May. So until then he's going to be doing the job of chief chemist at his current pay and title.

So to me it seems like they're just not wanting to pay someone to do the job. My current position is decent but it's really not engaging or helping me grow much. So I've started looking elsewhere for something better. The way I see it, they'll either promote me or I find something better. Which ever happens first. Am I making the right move here? I have some reservations about continuing my career with this company as two managers leaving within a month doesn't bode well.

If I'm understanding correctly, you've only put in for the job in the other city and are now nervous that they're in some sort of hiring freeze and are trying t pay people at a lower level to do the management work? I doubt that's the long term goal. I'd say look elsewhere but a month is not too long to wait for decisions to be made, especially if there's other turmoil going on that's draining their attention. I'd pursue both options (the job at the new location and other opportunities altogether) and see which drops first.

I've been in a surprising situation and you make the decision that you think works the best for you in the long run. You can't really second guess it later, but you can try to move on if you decide it's not for you.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Anyone ever take a pay grade CUT (but not a salary cut) when applying internally for something that had other things going for it (responsibilities you wanted, a new location where you wanted to live, joining a part of the company you wanted to work in, that sort of thing)? Just curious how common this sort of thing is. At a hierarchical company it could seem weird but then given the other factors it could make sense.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

The answer is "no."

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

Nope didn't get the promotion. Found out about it through their all-employee email bounce when they hire new salary people. That's a dick move, right? Because I'm pretty pissed about how I found out.

Well you described the place as a shithole so it doesn't really surprise me. That's a pretty crummy move but I don't think it's unheard of. I feel like I've seen something similar happen but the details escape me. Just start looking for something that will make you happier elsewhere. I assume you've gotten your resume and stuff together for this last attempt so you have a head start...

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

If you're interested in an internal move ask for shadow time with the marketing folks and talk to them about what you're interested in and what you'd like to learn. We even do long term loans/rotations so people can see what the job is like.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Celot posted:

The car idea sounds pretty good.

This, or something like it. Life is a marathon, not a sprint. You're going to have a lot of experiences. Some you'll like, some you won't. Don't worry about vacations with your girlfriend or hanging out with friends for now. A free education in a useful skill ain't something to sneeze at in your position. There will be some long hours, hard work, and times you'd rather be doing something else, but suck it up and put your nose to the grindstone. After all you're the one saying you want to improve your situation.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

It seems like most moves are lateral with the benefit of putting you in a vertical that aligns with your goals better (out of production or phones, into marketing or management) or puts you geographically where you want to be. If that's something you can realistically achieve then go for it. The big jumps in pay and status seem to be more in external moves. Internal are more about honing your skills and aligning yourself with work you want to do. That's how it looks to me, anyway.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I may be receiving an internal job offer tomorrow from a different department in a different time zone. Anyone familiar with that process? I'll want time to think about the benefits etc... I assume it's ok to take the weekend. Also, I'm going to want to know about health insurance, retirement benefits, etc... I doubt there's wiggle room on the salary (not from what I've experienced on my previous hirings at this place, although they were less traditional, more like moves within my dep't).

Then there's the big question: There would also be a serious relocation involved. I'm kind of expecting them to not offer me any assistance. Anyone ever negotiate for that sort of benefit from a starting point of nothing? I'm hoping they'll be able to work something out, at least a month in an apartment or something, since it would be to their benefit as well as mine for me to be able to focus on my work and not scramble for every little thing right when I hit town. But of course they know I'm very excited about the opportunity and the move and probably expect that I'll take it without relocation assistance. It's a conundrum: Be excited enough during interviews that they'll want to hire you but then play coy and ambivalent enough in negotiations that they'll give you the benefits that you want. Heh.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Last day in my current role tomorrow. After a few days off I start a new role in the same firm but in a different department in a different office... On a different continent. I've always worked hard at whatever I've done but I feel like I've learned more trying to position myself for this opportunity than anything else in my career. There are a lot of aspects to the change (leaving people management behind, learning a lot of new stuff, being part of a brand new team, moving across an ocean...) but I'm so excited for it to happen. Actually love my current job too but the opportunity was too big not to pursue. Career path indeed!

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Is the new pay enough to comfortably live in the more expensive city? At 25 I say go for it, provided that there are things in that city that attract you. Three years in at your job is a decent time and you wouldn't be ditching them too early or anything like that. Negotiate for sweet relocation assistance from the new place if they aren't offering it.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

RisqueBarber posted:

Do what's best for you. Don't worry about Company A, and definitely don't tell them about Company B. Take the job at Company A if offered and if two weeks from now you get an offer from B just be polite and tell A something better came up. It's not personal, its business.

I was the hiring manager at company A in this exact scenario one time last year and all I did was shake my fist impotently at my phone when I got this news and then we all went on with our lives. Like the post I quoted said, do what's right for you. The companies won't lose sleep over it. You don't have any stake in their well-being and this point and vice versa.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

DukAmok posted:

I can't imagine it was a wonderful experience for them, and I felt pretty bad about it, but all in all I don't think they're holding a grudge. And from a personal and career development perspective, it was definitely the right move.

It was a hassle for them but they got over it I'm sure. Regarding a grudge, the specific hiring manager will probably not give you another shot in the very unlikely event that you cross paths again and if for some reason a colleague of theirs ever asks about you they might relate this story. But you've all moved on since then and doing what's right for you outweighs the risk of annoying someone you may never see again.

The guy who stood me up could get another job there without me even knowing about it and I'm in a different role now anyway.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Depending on how corporate your work is you might need to provide one but you should talk to your boss first. That said, as perfunctory as they are, if you're of the "never burn bridges" mentality it's not a bad idea to put a couple of pines about the good things that happened at your current job. It's sort of a "can't hurt" sort of thing.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

The Sock posted:

I work for a large specialty contractor with a few years experience. I agreed to work as a project manager on a project for a different subsidiary company halfway across the country and they will pay my expenses, travel and get a raise during this time period. After this project is over in about 6 months, I will return back to my original company at the same title/pay, project engineer. This project is larger and much more difficult than the projects we typically do and will be very valuable experience.

So, basically, I will be doing a more experienced difficult job then they want me to return back to where I'm at. Should I be pushing harder for keeping my title / pay? I think it would look silly on my resume going up then back down. Am I screwed because I didn't negotiate this before hand? What I'm doing is in very high demand right now.

Are you contractually obligated to go back? After six months could you find new work doing your new thing?

If you need/want to stay with the current place I'd set up time to talk with your manager about your new responsibilities and let them know you feel that you should continue on this path. Frame it as the best option for them and for you.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

The Sock posted:

Contractually, the project needs a full time PM on the project. I am not under any sort of contract about staying out here, however, I was only helping them out and returning back to my old area.

Do you want to go back? I figured you'd finish out the project but can you try to use it to line something up at your new higher ranked position for afterwards?

I'm using language lazily. There's staying in your temporary geographical location and then there's staying with your employer. If your employer demands that you go back to your previous title would you try to jump somewhere else (in either location) at the higher position? If you want to stay in your temporary geographical location you have time there to make it happen. Look at all the goons putting their friends' addresses on their resumes because they want to move. If you wanted to stay where you are you have a leg up on them.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

That's total bullshit. Are you sure you heard them right about the raise? That's definitely grounds for going elsewhere. I've been screwed but I don't think I've had a promise rescinded.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

You've been in corporate before but really so much of it is just common sense with the odd counterintuitive move mixed in. You'll do fine, just keep your wits about you, help everyone, don't piss anyone off, and don't take poo poo personally. I went from tiny companies to a major one and, after a lot of farting around in the dark, took it and ran with it. It's easy if you're not a dummy.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

ashgromnies posted:

I just accepted job option 2 and sent an email turning down 1 and apologizing. I felt pretty bad sending it because they're a small company and were super excited to have hired me, and I had already accepted the offer... but hey, that's how at will employment works, right? I wish I felt better about my decision right now, this was a hard choice, but I know I will enjoy the work at option 2 more, and I believe in them as a company more.

Option 1's role may technically have been higher profile in the company and higher pay, but I didn't really believe in it and wouldn't be as engaged in the work. At option 2 I will be reporting directly to the CTO on their R&D team, which is very small and full of some really great security researchers, so that is exciting.

Going by what you wrote you made the right choice. Option 1 was almost certainly going to go wrong.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

BLOG KING posted:

I'm in a situation where I have about 7 years of experience in web development under my belt, but only a year of real training - companies that gave me the title but had me do flash and design etc. I can't stand it anymore and am going back to school for design. In the meantime, I can't find a new job in the dev area (not as good as I should be) so I'm working with a temp agency. I have a. Good lead, but if it doesn't work out, I'm stuck with this experience that I want to get out of. I'm going to work on my design portfolio, but I want to get away from development as quickly as possible. I crashed and burned a few times because of personal reasons. I'll probably end up at fedex or doing odd jobs until the temp agency finds something, but the development thing may raise some red flags... Any thoughts?

I know I'm a big baby and should study up, but I wanted to see if there see if anyone had further thoughts.

You already know the answer. Study up, etc... But if and when the temp agency sends you somewhere take a good look around and think about what you can make of it. Is it the sort of place where you can grow? I've sort of told my story before but I was kicking around, doing all sorts of odd web/design related things when a temp agency sent me to do some related stuff at a big company. It took me a long time to figure the place out but once I did I ended up loving it and using it as a springboard to full-time employment, leadership opportunities and, eventually, a transfer to another country. And it started with a temp agency randomly getting me a contract that on the face of it I seemed overqualified for. So do your due diligence, work hard, and keep an open mind. You might be able to make your own luck if you work at it hard enough.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Find out about any internal leadership/career development training opportunities that the company offers. If it's big enough (which I suspect it is) they might have an entire curriculum for ambitious people. SOmetimes the networking you do in those programs is more valuable than what you learn directly.

Also, be aware that as has been discussed many times in this thread, to make major leaps in salary/position sometimes you have to move to another company. A lot of places make anything other than incremental advancement very difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

I'm 26 years old and I've been working my first full time job that's not a contract position for the last four months or so. Although I have only been at this company for four months, I'm fortunate enough to say that I really love my job and believe that it utilizes my skills very well. I have received great reviews from my manager and my monthly stats have been comparable to other analysts who have been working there for 2 years. The team was recently told that they are planning on opening an office in Europe and even though I have only been working there for four months, I have been considering asking to be relocated there. It would be a great new experience and I believe that this potential opportunity is something that I cannot just let pass. The position in Europe would be completely identical in terms of requirements/qualifications. Also, I can only think of two other people on the 35 person team that would just be able to pack everything and go so I believe I have a good chance.... But before I start dreaming more, do you believe that this is even something I should pursue and talk to my manager about relocating?

Busy Bee: curious to know what happened. I actually pulled this off but I had a couple of major advantages (a European passport was the big one, but also I was in a position to spend a ton of time building myself up and making connections so that it would be a natural fit.) if they don't straight up say it's impossible then drop me a line and maybe we can brainstorm ways for you to position yourself for it.