Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Fisticuffs posted:

I also have a general interest in technology, and have been looking into online graduate programs(I may move in the next year or two), but I'm fairly certain that my background in computer science is far too shallow to jump in at that level...

I appreciate this response but I was trying to illustrate why I think pursuing further education is the best answer for what I'm looking to do, at least In some form....I would like to start a career in computer science, not just get a good job in the field(though I am trying to start with a good job in the field, which is another reason why I think I should go back to school)...

School would take a while, but I feel like I'm spinning my wheels at my current job and will be for as long as I'm here. I won't starve in the meantime, the investment would be worth it if it enabled me to move to a field where I could conceivably make more money ten or twenty years down the line(I'm going to eventually get my masters in computer science either way).

A lot of goons will tell you just to "learn it on your own." I'm not going to weigh in on that one way or the other. But there are definitely CS master's programs that non-CS majors - with little programming background - can do. UWG has one, for instance. Just FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

ForeverSmug posted:

I've got a Bachelors in Graphic Design and a Masters in Art. I hate it and the thought of burning the rest of my life up doing that makes me sick...

I also wrote a bunch of C# programs and Python scripts for the office for things like sorting data, quick data entry for specialized tasks, and outputting excel sheets...

Skillwise I know some C#, Python, Javascript, and I've done a little C++, PHP, mySql, and Android development.

At 25 I'm probably way too old to get started with IT or something. I wish I'd done anything else with my life than what I did, but the damage is done. At this point I've basically got no prospects, no hope, and no idea what to do.

Why not go into software engineering? Sounds like you have some skills, at least. And 25 is not that old. I'm 29 and almost halfway through a two year masters in CS, after getting a useless BA in English. I've had a few interviews at cool places so far, hopefully I'll get something. But it can be done, don't give up hope. You might not even need to go to school, you could use your existing skills as a start and learn more on your own.