Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yep so that sounds highly political. Not in a bad way necessarily just the skills.

It also seems like a hard job to "win". You get everyone in line, you're doing your job...Congrats? Everyone hates you and you can't, you fail. Idk how you could really excel with the role.

Again outside looking in from a different industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
A lot of small medium tech organizations appreciate someone who can do a few things across a product or team. You might need to pick up some basic tech skills (SQL excel skills basic CS vocabulary) but the minimum skill can be quite low if you can sell yourself well enough in an interview.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I don't know about tech writing but I know about the software Dev industry.

Long term: communication skills can take you far in tech post hands on keyboard. Many places also appreciate it in direct coding jobs as prof software development is very much a team activity.

You still need the chops to enter the field and later having something worth writing or talking about.

I think your challenge now is being able to secure that first dev job, assuming you take that path. Interviewing really is a crap shoot and pretty much a separate skill in some areas.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I think finding a new job where maybe you are more challenged with better advancement would be good.

...But this other company doesn't really sound like that place. Doubling the commute alone is a killer without a giant pay raise.

Maybe use the extra time to learn some new skills and polish/apply for jobs? Or start sniffing around your current spot for something more interesting?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

call to action posted:

Probably, I haven't really been looking. I don't want to move for sure, though. I am 100% in love with my rickety shitbox of a home.

I'm just haunted by the prospect of turning this job down and then losing my current job. Logically, I know that I could lose my current job at any time, other offer or no, but I've got millennial-grade PTSD-lite about being jobless ever since graduating in 2009. That's probably more an e/n problem than a BFC one, though.

The other part of me wonders if I'm being a dumb baby snowflake by turning down a (pretty modest) raise at a company with better long term prospects.

you could also be fired within 90 days at the new job...

Why do you think the prospects are better long-term at the second company? Are they growing faster or is it a more dynamic division? I don't think you can say that more hours = more opportunity. Plenty of firms are happy to work people into the ground for no return. And even if your firm has mediocre management, working people to the bone can generally be correlated with lovely mgmt.

Do you think this situation might be making you aware of some feelings of stagnation/coasting in your career? It seems like you're wanting some kind of change.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Enigma89 posted:

Just curious if anyone has thoughts on this? I ended up not taking the position and a bit of time had past. They just reached out that another position opened up and want me in there asap.

Since no one with more specific knowledge has chimed in:

If you know your current job won't get you to your goal because of branding, I say go out and get the necessary branding on your resume. Sure there is risk in doing it but it seems like things won't change unless you get active.

Maybe your story can combine your current skills with some experience with a major brand, to present yourself as a great candidate to your target luxury companies in the job you'd like to do?

Or alternative: maybe you can return to your old job at a higher wage because you've worked at bigger places? Especially if it grows in the meantime and they're open to boomerangs.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Guinness posted:

Then your choice is made for you. A data analyst who can't/won't program isn't worth anything, especially long term.

+1

You'd be hamstrung or outright ineffective.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

A private practice, at least at first, is probably going to be more networking than actually doing the work...

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Learn to code in what way?

The biggest problem is that there is a pretty big gap between the skills of completing online code schools and some personal projects vs full time software developer.

Things like boot camps can sort of bridge that gap. but there are a lot of low ROI offerings out there so you must do a lot of research and even a great bootcamp grad needs to have something else on their resume that recommends them. For example: a bootcamp grad that formerly worked in marketing analytics.

I think there is a perception out there that becoming a professional software developer is more accessible than it really is and it's harmful when people run into these barriers they were never warned about.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

I am just dying for a job where I can just be at my desk all day with only occasional human interaction and produce something with tangible results.

IDK if software development will give you that. To be more blunt: a place that does not encourage dev interaction and teamwork is also likely to be a fairly soul-crushing work environment. This is especially true if you want to work at a startup, which is usually a very collaborative shoulder-to-shoulder affair.

It might be possible to make such an arrangement as a freelance contractor and/or working primarily over remote but you would need solid work experience to really make that feasible.

...I guess you could aim for a mediocre career deep in the bowels of a large or midsize company somewhere but as someone who started a career in such places and worked very hard to escape asap, It's difficult to imagine that truly being something to aim for. To boot, often those jobs are the 1st thing cut or outsourced anyway, so job security isn't actually that great

I'm just some dude on the internet muddling along myself but I think you should try the MIT course and anything you can trial for free. If you find that you lose yourself in the work and develop a passion, then maybe development is for you. I have worked alongside and for several people who didn't follow a traditional route but are excellent devs, but if this is only an escape hatch from the law and gov work then I don't know that you will make it in the industry or be very happy if you do secure a job.

I'm not familiar with SAS. Do you mean SAP?

Edit: oh SAS, right https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAS_Institute Sorry drinking @ the airport after a long week and "Sass" to SAS didn't connect in my brain

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 30, 2017

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Tyro posted:

If you don't have a plan for it, don't get a MBA.

+1.

On the topic of project managers:

I've noticed "project manager" gets used as a general job title on general business reports (job aptitude, employment #s etc.) but it seems like the title is so broad, its practically meaningless.

There are project managers in many different fields. For example, construction and technology. Is there really enough similarity to change industries, or even report on as one bucket?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I would say continue the process as it's experience interviewing at least and sounds like perhaps a good 1st step for your path.

If you get the job, work it for a year to two and find something better if it's not working out.

I bet you get something like double that 60 to 70 fairly easily once you can get past that first applied / real-world hump.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Cool cool. Yeah the odds are in your favor for sure.

Remember too though if this doesn't work out, job hunts are like sampling some random variable. You may have a 75% 51% or whatever advantage but one go you might still lose. Gotta keep the pipeline full and keep trying until the odds payoff.

Or maybe I'm just scarred from graduating in the recession lol.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Getting to build your team at a place you have good connections seems like the best option if all else is neutral. That's my feeling anyway

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Generally what I've heard: 1 year isn't bad as long as it doesn't start to look like a "you thing" by jumping after a year overly much. If you did 2 years at the last place then you've at least got a little buffer.

If you start looking now it might be 1.5 years by the time you switch anyway, so might as well see whats out there.

...30k is very low for anything with tech, like above said entry level dev is 50-80 and even stuff like technical analyst or similarly "tech but not software dev" roles should be higher than 30.

before job hunting try looking at glassdoor or similar sites and try to figure out what the market rate for your location/skills is.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

If your job is not demanding right now, you're in a perfect spot to hunt. Your prospects are much better to actually land a position and you're not racing a clock.

Gut it out and focus on the future.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Some encouragement on the dev/design front:

I'm in the field and know several people who started as devs and were designers by the time I worked when them. They were actually usually better for it since they had some intuition regarding what could be built and could communicate technically.

I think most would say they weren't great devs (and didn't want to be) but life is a winding path.

If you're getting callbacks and into later rounds then you're going to land something. It's a numbers game :\

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

The MBA doesn't open that many doors unless you go to a top 5, 10, or 20 school. Different sources disagree on where exactly the cutoff is, but no one's going to tell you that there's no point in going to Harvard, Stanford or Wharton.

Below top 20 is where it gets iffy. Local market/segment becomes more important the lower you go.

Top 7 "the m7" are nationally competitive in just about everything.

Top 10 -20 progressively more focused on geo and segment.

Sub 20 need to be very aware of likely exits. Ex: Rice isn't a top MBA, but it does really well in energy finance in Houston. Some lower ranked mbas don't over perform anywhere and just take your money.

It's also easier to get good outcomes from lower-ranked schools if you are already "on the path". Ex someone in finance identified as leadership material might do very well in a lower ranked program (prob attending part time)because its more of an accessory. Whereas if you are totally reinventing a career, you need that high rank to connect and credentialize.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Tricky with the wife part, don't know what to say there.

Even if the pay is comparably low, this sounds like a tremendous resume-building opportunity.

First, though: Do you want to do this type of management work? It's pretty different from being an individual contributor, and a lot of people fall on that transition. Similarly, are you prepared to do it? Classes, books mentors all the stuff that can help bridge the experience gap. Hours might be long and irregular as well, which might create pain at home.

Often, people get these opportunities and then parlay the new level of experience into a similar job at another company for considerably more money than they received getting the promotion. So, even if something goes south with the boss, you could come out ahead.

Idk if any of us can tell you what to do, I would wager most ppl that read this forum are very career first and would jump on this, but it's your priorities that matter.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Not to pile on but an MIS or similar degree is very hireable. For technical jobs but people also slide into business analyst or product stuff. Customer facing positions in technical companies as well.

If it's a bad fit for desired roles or other issues, sure but on the spectrum of undergrad degrees, it's not a bad one.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Some jobs accept or ask for writing samples.

There are also people who pay for stuff like blog content or what not. It's not high paying exciting or prestigious but having some professional work can be leveraged in finding better jobs or proving ability.

It's also handy for showing you know something about a topic w/o the resume bullets. Especially if you have some level of traffic or others referencing your work.

I wrote for my own blog and then used that to get involved with a former company's white paper/insights writing. I did it again at a second shop. So, if asked, I can point to that stuff as proof I can write as a business skill.

I know a guy who writes an email newsletter as a side gig. He wants to publish a book and become an author, so he's trying build a fan base and prove commercial viability in order to grab the attention of a publisher.

Edit: most people I know say they are -not- good writers and very much avoid it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

#1 could open doors succeed or fail.

If you want to brand yourself as a growth kind of guy then here is the opportunity. Even if you fail, well these things often do and people know that. They will value your experience regardless. You might need to change companies and aggressively network to capitalize.

#2 could actually be good if you're interested in that country. It would also be good experience as you've gone abroad and kept a ship afloat (versus launching something). Like #1 it's kind of a brand: you're a steady hand.

I think no matter the choice, you should be trying to decide what you want and lobbying for it. The worst thing is to just sit and do nothing.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Your profile could be a good fit for product positions. Feature decisions, stakeholder mgmt, communication, leadership etc. Pay is good hours are generally decent.

There aren't too many entry-level positions and the career path is not well defined. But that might to your advantage as someone accustomed to those things.

I don't think you'd even need to start entry-level if you got some nomenclature down and sold yourself well. Some companies love former entrepreneurs in those roles.

Sales might be an option too although it would most likely be 40+ and travel. Some sales guys have carved out a very cushy position with repeat customers and referrals.

I don't know too much about cyber security, but the guys I know who are good are very passionate. It's def a hot job right now, but are you interested in the field or just the $/time ratio?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

This comes up all the time in the negotiation thread. There are many successful strategies that do not require lying and many personal stories employing them across all kinds of levels and industries.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Yah people respond to brands, kind of irrationally.

So something like a major sports team on your resume is potentially worth quite a bit, if you can realize it via your next job or whatever opportunities you chase down.

Especially with a skillset not locking you into sports entertainment, which is actually not all that big or well paying.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Any place hiring right now -really- needs you. Our company is on a hiring freeze but we still have a few positions open because they're either rare or critical.

poo poo happens but you're better of wagering on the new job than holding tight.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

You could work in data science but not be a data scientist, if that makes sense.

Many orgs right now have the underpants gnome plan for DS:

1) hire data scientists
2)
3) profit

Those who are a little smarter or further down the road have realized a data science -function- is more than just a single role.

So someone with good business sense, some tech skills and is conversant in ds concepts would work with data scientists and other roles.

The bad news is that it's early days for this stuff so the role titles/req are over the place. as above, a lot of orgs aren't even looking at it this way (yet) so your pool of potential employers is unfortunately more limited than it should be.

The good news is that it's early days for this stuff so a bootstrapper has a better chance and if they're hiring this way, they probably "get it".

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Whatever you agreed upon or expect. Sort of depends on your context what that is but that's idea. Idk if they are even meaningful in a legal sense. Especially in at-will states where no reason is necessary.

Double check everything too. I've had offer letter sent with less $ than discussed verbally

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Many people in my MBA program were there to get out of O&G.

Many did end up going back, truth be told. However, consulting isn't as big a transition as you might think and that in turn is a half step to another industry. Harder with a family and if you're older but not impossible.

Some guys also went back to O&G on the finance side. It seemed from their talk that they could get into another industry or stuff like renewables via that path.

It's a big expensive move but an option.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Cingulate posted:

I started a job as a data scientist in early 19. I was rapidly promoted to a lead role and have now been leading teams from 3-8 people directly through various projects (at one point I nominally had 25 people under me). I still have very little job experience (came straight from academia, with a PhD). I think I want to stay on the management path because I find the people I've been leading are usually better at their job than I would be, but I very much enjoy being their advocate, roadmapping, communication.

Is this realistic? Can I eventually expect to join another company in a largely managerial role? Any general tips?

Umm yes. Why would you not?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

What's going to really help, once you've got the title and role stuff squared away, is:

a) getting a referral

b) preparedness for the interview process. Which is partially having a good resume, people skills etc and partially preparing to jump through their particularly dumb hoops really well.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Yeah I know about the importance of referrals - I have friends at Apple, Microsoft, a few other places. Currently I don't see how I can do much to improve here though.
I think I interview well once it gets to the talking, and I will have a killer resume if the projects I'm currently involved in come through. I may not shine during technical questions though.

That's good and I mean if you're looking at a couple years start laying that ground work now with your connections.

FAANG/MS get many good candidates and are so economically secure that they don't need to hire anyone but the absolute best fit. Generically good at interviews isn't enough. I don't think many people realize what a game it has become.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Double down and pivot your expertise plus tenure at the company into a director position with those people reporting to you.

... Then quit 2 years later for a big bump elsewhere.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Cyril Sneer posted:

I've only been here for two years, and there isn't anybody reporting to me because we don't have teams, beyond whatever random grouping of people the CEO happens to call a "team" on any given day :downs:

Mmm.

Volunteer yourself as a "team coordinator and enabler", then market the heck out of it on a resume?

Half kidding with these suggestions but you would probably actually be a good candidate for a lead or first manager for a growing company. You know how everything works, it sounds like two years is still a lot more than everyone else.

Really though: it seems like your CEO and whatever management exists isn't looking to scale the business or lacks the operational skill to do it. Which is fine for them but doesn't seem great for you.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Why would you not? Unless you plan to leave there's nothing to lose.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

If your alternative is nothing then go for it.

You'll probably get a feel for how often they convert people and the culture pretty quickly.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Well:

some places dangle the conversion carrot in front of contractor's faces but never really do it. Same with threatening to fire them.

You won't get fte benefits including petty stuff like happy hours. There was a lawsuit* with MS that cost them a ton of $. So companies are very careful not to blur those lines.

A really great place to work will find ways to avoid legal trouble and still include contractors in social stuff or swag but it's not the norm. TBH many businesses don't know the risks and so don't make distinctions too.

You'd be contract to hire so less of a concern but; also due to labor law, usually contractors have a mandatory end date. If they extend too long it risks lawsuit. I've seen this get people who are really good but due to the vagueries of corp life they cannot secure an FTE spot.

A good contract to hire is an extended interview and a bad one is stringing someone along.

* https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permatemp

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ya I would say stop watching those videos and use the extra time to improve skills or just stuff you might enjoy like a garden or some potted herbs.

If it's at all feasible go camping or volunteer in a community garden on weekends. Whatever outside activities you can find.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

From that post it sounds like you do want change and probably need it. You can still be friends with your coworkers if they become ex-coworkers.

Get an offer and then go read the negotiation thread. If it comes up before you can read the thread: Don't give them what you make now or name what you want yet.

Edit: beaten and didn't refresh but +1 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Lockback posted:

You really need a couple years of management for it to stick. I'd see a new manager trying to jump to another management position too soon as a real bad sign.

Incompetent management it might be ok. Chaotic or unsure might make sense. Toxic is bad. In my reading, it sounds like it's a culture of blame and management fostering an "us vs them" mentality. That poo poo will wreck your life and new employers will smell it on you, basically railroading you to other toxic workplaces.

This is obviously a real cursory reading but it sounds like they have basically the ideal job for their situation that they want to leave because management is that bad. Don't join that.

Interesting re: new manager jumping quickly. What if they have realized the culture is bad and want out asap? I'm guessing you'd say that's different but curious to hear ab experienced pov