Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ExcessiveForce posted:

Perhaps I'm not following, but why is retroactive tough since I was also working my old job?

I'm confident in pushing the limits as far as my salary and fringe (bonus plan is more than generous) but I was not sure if asking for the retro was just being greedy.

corkskroo posted:

I am no negotiation expert but I'd say asking for retroactive doesn't make sense. It's common for someone to "step up" and take on higher-level responsibilities as an opportunity to show you can do it and learn the ropes, then get the promotion. That sounds pretty much like what happened here. Negotiate for the best salary and benefits you can get, but consider what's happened to date your "training and try out" period.

This is pretty much what I meant. You were doing your old job and they were trying you out for your new job. If they had moved you fully into a new job then maybe you could ask for retroactive. I this case it is reasonable to ask for it to start when you started you new position full time.
Heck, most of the time I have changed roles recently the salary has lagged a bit and there was no retroactive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The project management certification standard and acronyms will in part depend on your location in the world.

Totally agree that some places value certificates and some don't care. I have no formal certification and can run circles around most PMs I have worked with (I also know enough that being a PM is not the job for me). PMI or similar are good to get a baseline if you have no experience with project management.

I still keep a copy of the project management handbook on my bookshelf and crack it open a few times a year.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Brotein_Shake posted:

I am officialy coming to terms with the fact that I royally hosed up with my degrees the first time around in school. I did my undergrad in communication (idiot) and then a masters in a program I later found out doesn't do much to qualify for anything.

I am looking at going back but this time getting something not retarded, would either a bachelors or masters in Information Systems be valuable at all? Googling around the job growth seems alright and many job listings I have found are interested in IT skills.

I was a theater major and have a career in IT. If you already have a masters and have practical IT experience you may not really need an IS degree. If I were looking to hire new graduates I would put a lot more value on something like EE, lesser in proper CS, and even less in Information Systems.

Have you thought about getting an MBA? There are various MBA programs with some emphasis on computing that might be much more lucrative long term.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jet Set Jettison posted:

There are enough companies that aren't too far from my current apartment, but none seem to have positions open. I want to cold-call these places, or just drop an email in some HR departments mailbox. Is there a right/wrong way to do this? How do I send my resume/cover letters to these companies without being put as spam in the inbox?

Also I have a good idea of how to phrase some of my Quality experience as being relevant to R&D (knowledge of ingredients, product troubleshooting, experience in allergens/organics/etc) but any advice on that would also be welcome.

Most importantly... is this the right thread to ask this question?

Yes, this is a good thread for this sort of thing. There has been some discussion on changing career paths, maybe in different industries but worth a read through this in general.

Find and meet the HR people (staffing or recruiting job titles perhaps) and tell them that even if they don't have openings today you want them to know who you are and be ready when a position becomes available. No harm in networking, and if you can get to know the hiring managers for the job you want, even better. If you make it your job to be a networking machine and know all the local companies and know the specific people you would want to work for, the job you want is likely to happen (assuming you are competent and can befriend the people you want to work with and are a good fit and all that).

Spinning your experience to being relevant is good, though I am not in the food industry...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Tamarillo posted:

I'm going to be the devil's advocate here and say that (yes, cultural differences come into play here) I really don't like it when people do this.

We don't keep a database of all the cold-call CVs that come through to refer back to every time we advertise anything. If you are interested in working for us, I expect you to apply when there is a vacancy and that is when I want to see your CV. A submission indicating general interest in future vacancies is not going to achieve anything - even if you seem pretty good, I can't magic up a job for you; nor will I just give you a job without advertising externally as I want to ensure I've found the best person for the job. Be discerning about what you want to apply for and tailor your application to that specific job when it is advertised.

Similarly, I am far more likely to make time to meet with someone who is interested in a current vacancy - we can have a good old yarn about the role, your experience and whether it would suit - it'll be great! But being brutally honest, I don't have time to meet with people who are interested in a potential future maybe-vacancy which doesn't exist yet.

^^^^ I am super happy to see a totally different perspective. Since I pretty much do my own sourcing for people who report to me, I like to have a stable of candidates and a network that would allow me to hire quickly when I have openings.

You are totally right that many places may hate that, and the HR people would not want to waste their time with future candidates.

For all the rest of the Career Path Thread observers, this just goes to show that there is no one right way, and that industry and company and person all come into play.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I just had a good talk with my boss about potential avenues of advancement at the company I work at he gave me a bunch of stuff to think about while I've got all this downtime at work lately.

He mentioned a couple things, like getting into knowledge management, project management, training, leadership, stuff I could probably transition into fairly easily given my skillset, but then he also mentioned he has a couple contacts in corporate sales and that might be an option as well.

Most of my life I've dismissed sales jobs because I always imagined like, cold-calling jobs and lovely jobs where you sell retail goods or insurance. But I honestly don't have any experience with that kind of job and I feel like I am personable and motivated enough to do well at it maybe?

Made me think that getting a MBA in the future might not be a bad idea either...

I gotta think about this poo poo, this is all new to me.

There are many people in this thread who can help you, but a little more info might help. Keep in generic or whatever to protect your anonymity, but give us something to work with. Some things that would help: What kind of industry are you in? Large company or small? How much experience do you have? What is your current job? What do you like/dislike about your job?

Sales jobs, in my opinion, require a certain type of person and personality and drive to be a good fit. I do not carry quota, but am very close to sales and work directly with sales people, some of whom make insane money. Talking about knowledge or project management and sales in the same career discussion is highly unusual, but may make sense in your industry or company.

If you don't want to air stuff here PM me or any of the other posters in this thread who have posted things that resonate with you.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jet Set Jettison posted:

I'm considering applying for a job but I'm not sure its a step in the right direction.

The job is for a Packaging Supervisor at the Boston Beer Company. I would be a real hands on manufacturing packaging dude who would order all the bottles, make sure people are filling them correctly, labelling them clearly and doing this all in a sanitary fashion. Basically I'd be a production supervisor for the filling side of the operation. Nothing particularly glorious.

Heres where it gets interesting: My long term career goal is to be a product development manager of some food product for really any company at all, so this may seem unrelated. The packaging Supervisor reports to the Product Development Manager! So now I'm wondering if applying to this job would be a good foot in the door to being a professional beer developer (a literal dream job) or if this is a step that would lead me to be more of a production supervisor.

Should I apply?

Always apply. If anything it opens the door for you to learn more about the job and the manager.

I am sure there are people here with the opposite opinion, but I always encourage people to talk to me about jobs.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ProFootballGuy really did something amazing in transitioning from pre-sales to sales person.

In Enterprise software sales I have seen maybe one or two pre-sales engineers transition to long term, successful, quota carrying sales persons.

For me its not about pigeon-holing, its about skills and personalities. In general, the kind of person who can make seven figures every year selling complex solutions to big companies is very different from the kind of person who can convince everyone from developers and admins to the executive leaderships that the software we sell really works and can solve their problems.

Sales can also be the kind of grind that engineer-minded people cannot handle for more than a short time. The number of calls and meetings every day, the sheer amount of rejection you encounter as you build a pipeline. The incredible challenge of getting a deal through a customer's procurement chain.

Sure, the pre-sales engineers I have known all would love to make a million bucks a year, and great sales people make it look easy. Those who try to move over to sales then, and only then, realize that as a pre-sales person they only saw 10% of the sales person's job, and the other 90% is really, really hard for them.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Could you elaborate on this? They seem like they'd be similar so interesting that they're not.

For my part: I'm a Systems analyst but I still scratch my head on how the hell I ended up here. I have an MIS degree so I'm sort of technical but I've always leaned hard soft skills and struggled with math, although I do well with logic so I usually get along with technical types and can at least sit at the technical table.

Ironically, I think selling myself got me a job I shouldn't have qualified for and then I've just rolled along from there. I'm mid-late twenties now though and kinda realizing I'm misaligned and want to fix it before I hate my life because I'm not exploiting my strengths. The fat paycheck is cool but I'm most interested in enjoying my job and feeling like I'm maximizing myself.

My bosses have recognized my communication ability and have let me expand into a Project Manager type role, but Its not a full time change and I don't know if they'll ever let me transition fully out of analyst work.

I keep kicking sales around in my head since I love presentations and I'd rather go to meetings all day than sit at my desk with excel and visual studios open, grinding away at a data problem.

The hard part comes when I try to figure out how in the hell I can make that jump. Plus, this is all conjecture so I have no clue if I'd really enjoy it.

For the overlap between sales and presales, they are pretty similar. That is the 10% part.

Sales Engineers have to maintain a blend of technical and soft skills. They have to stay current in the technology area and industry in which they sell, and have to have considerable expertise in the solutions they sell and the good ones tend to be leaders in their domains. There are dozens of skills that are important and pretty unique for presales.

Salespeople/Account Managers/Client Executives have to have much more of the soft skill and sales/selling expertise, and really have to understand an end to end sales process. Who are your customers/accounts? How do you generate leads and interest in those accounts for the products you need to sell? How do you get the customer to a point where they want you, the sales person, to bring in a sales engineer for a demonstration? What the process to get technical buy in on the solution you are selling AND show value and ROI at the price point where you and your company make some money? What does the procurement person(s) need to sign off on the deal? What about all the paperwork and forecasting and deal reviews? What about the ten other deals you need to close this quarter in order to make your number? How about the twenty to fifty other calls you need to make today to generate pipeline for next quarter and the quarter after that? Some people excel in that environment and step up to the challenges of carrying a quota. Those people tend to not want to do all the things the presales engineer does. The presales engineer (sometimes) sees the money the sales people make and think 'I want to make that money and I can do everything the sales person does,' and fails to see all the work the sales person put in BEFORE the engineer got involved, and doesn't see all the work that happens after the engineer is done. The presales engineer tends to miss the total grind that comes with establishing your territory as a sales person, and that grind tends to burn out the true engineer types who want to move into sales.

So you are a Systems Analyst. What kind of systems? What kind of company and industry? Systems Analyst to Pre-sales isn't uncommon. Maybe you have some skill with a certain kind of system or domain that would be interesting to a software vendor or partner or implementer?

Maybe instead you want to reboot and go into sales. Where I work, the way to get in without any sales experience is 'inside sales.' You will be given a desk and a phone and a computer and a list of customers and you will be calling and emailing trying to find people who are interested and qualify the leads and hand them off to sales people. You will mostly be dialing for dollars (well asking for the next meeting that if you are lucky will become and opportunity and eventually lead to dollars). Get good at it and then maybe they make you a junior salesperson and give you a few accounts. Then the real work begins. Typically takes a few years, if you make it that long.

Which would you rather do? Spend a year making phone calls trying to find someone interested in your solution, or learning how to present and demonstrate said solution and doing so for potential customers who are somewhat qualified?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Interesting stuff. Obviously I'd rather not take a probable pay/lifestyle cut to start at the bottom of a sales position so parlaying sounds like the way to go. I'm just trying to figure out a way to take my kind of technical base to move into a more communication soft skill oriented field. To be honest, those problems yall name sound like something I can handle more easily than: "we have 27 unique fields for 12,000 entries and need to gather and sort all of them here is your excel sheet and headphones".

It certainly does sound intimidating though trying to keep a constant sales pipeline running.

I've floated this question previously and heard Product Owner/Product Manager would be a good fit but after looking for those positions, they seem to require a good deal more experience than I have, or a right time/place situation. I guess its normal to be frustrated in your twenties.

Either share here or send me a PM with some information about the industry and solutions you work in and around. I went from system analyst to consultant to architect to presales to leadership. The specific company I work for really isn't set up for presales engineers to become sales people, but many others (see ProFootballGuy) may make it easy to make that move.

There are probably ways to parlay from where you are now to where you want to go without starting over. We in this thread just can't give you advice without knowing if you are in like large medical technology hardware or big data search optimization or help desk or what.

As for pipeline, sales people live and die by pipeline. It is also why many people who move from presales into sales do great for two or four quarters and then have the bottom fall out (they inherit a territory with pipeline and opportunity and never figure out that building more pipe is the key to long term success; they close all the deals there are to close when they walk in the door then they starve). I know that I am not the kind of person who can build pipeline every day, but I sure as heck figured out to help make that kind of person outrageously successful.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

I may have an opportunity to take a marketing job in a new division in a company that makes a product that I can actually get behind (I don't exactly like the things, but I recognize their utility...online transaction security devices) with people who in the interview seemed alright.

I've never worked in marketing before, though I've got some coursework in the subject...which is part of why I never worked in it. The work here, though, seems to mostly dovetail nicely with my previous work experience; it strikes me as very low-bullshit (largely because the audience we'd be aiming at are mostly professionals with some idea what they're doing, not the general public).

How transferrable is experience in marketing and market research? Assuming I don't have a long and bright future at this company, is this a field that is easy to move around in once you've got some experience? If I don't just say "gently caress IT" and jump back to ESL or find my dream job, lead me spiraling into self-loathing, alcoholism and suicide (barring finding myself working for the kinds of people Pro-PRC Laowai works for)?

If you have never worked in Marketing because you didn't like marketing coursework, that's a pretty clear statement. Dealing with customers is probably a small percentage of the job. Design campaigns, run them, track results, set up events, drive attendance, do ALL of the logistics, show up four hours early to set up your sign and table and make sure the venue didn't massively screw things up, then deal with the customers who actually show up, eat a $60 steak and then mention they just bought your competitors solution. There is probably a lot of BS, just not with the customers themselves.

Yes, you can move around in field marketing pretty easily in the tech sector, I have known several who have bounced around places like EMC and VMWare and do pretty well.

I have worked with many (dozens of) marketing people over the past 15 years. There are maybe two, two of them, who I would choose to work with again.

I hope there is some awesome marketing goon here who can prove me wrong and post about how awesome marketing is!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

It's more the amorality of it combined with the propensity for bullshit (which came up a lot in the one course which was specifically marketing); not that much of an issue when dealing solely with people who ought to be less susceptible to bullshit, in a more or less equal power relationship, I would hope.

Theoretical discussion are nice, but it boils down to: What are the daily tasks and duties of the job, and how do those things compare to what you actually like to do?

Just like the discussion earlier in the thread on presales versus sales people, the tasks and duties of the jobs are different, and different people gravitate to different aspects of the job.

You may really really like the day to day work of that particular marketing role, or you could totally loathe it. Get to know the good, bad, and ugly of the role and choose based on what will give you good job/life satisfaction.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

chupacabraTERROR posted:

So, I need some career advice. I'm currently a tax accountant (2nd year) at a big 4 firm. My degree is in business/economics with an accounting minor. I've got my CPA.

It turns out that I don't really like accounting, or at least tax accounting as I've come to know it. I'm very good at it, and I could make a lot of money doing it, but I just don't care for the work. I'm a very driven person and I can feel this job sapping my drive to ask "why" and it has made me pretty apathetic towards work in general. I see the managers above me and do not want their lifestyle because they are unhappy and work 24/7.

So that leads me to my career choices. Given my background it makes sense to go into some sort of analyst type role where I can use my CPA and accounting knowledge to help make better business decisions. I've also considered a Product Manager type role where I can see myself managing the business end of product development.

If you look at my posting history you can see my interests are in tech. While I don't have any tech-oriented education, I think I could use that passion to help me learn product management. I've considered going the startup route (I founded one in college that didn't work out but I loved it and could get a job with a startup pretty easily). I've also got connections at larger companies where I could pursue this path.

So the question is really about picking a path and a lifestyle. I greatly value my work-life balance, and while I don't mind putting in the hours, I don't think working 70 hours a week is very productive.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any analysts or product managers in industry have any insight? Big company or startup???

help me I have too many options

Have you thought about leaving the Big 4 and going into industry or a smaller firm?

The big firms are a total grind and you might enjoy things a lot more on the outside. With two years I don't know that you could just straight into management (maybe you could though), and the work might be a little different but still pay well and there are probably interesting and fun places to work to do this. Your CPA is certainly worth something and just throwing it away might not be the best long term decision career wise.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

sim posted:

My skillset: front end web development, is in very high demand right now (I'm contacted by a recruiter almost daily). I'm being paid top market value in Austin, Texas, one of the hottest markets for software development outside of Silicon Valley. But I don't want to be in Texas anymore; within a year I plan to be in San Diego, near family and better weather.

I'd like to continue making my current salary, but because of the "sunshine tax", I'm finding the top of the market in San Diego pays the same with about a 30% increase in cost of living. My current employer has an office in Los Angeles and they do allow working from home when necessary. But, they have been trying to consolidate team members to the same city and considering I only started in May, I don't know how well they'd receive my request to work remotely full time. Other than making a convincing argument, is there anything I can do to increase my chances?

For the San Diego market; is that just the way things are or is there something I can do to receive offers near my current salary? I'm assuming bigger companies like Intuit, Sony, etc. will pay more than those local to SD.

Shop around and cast a wide net. Service Now is supposed to be hiring like mad, they are worth finding someone and talking to over there. Sony online and SCE also have big operations and with the Ps4 launch they may have need as well.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

tzien posted:

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this (or if it's been previously discussed) but here's my question:

Does anyone have experience with working both full-time and as a contractor with the same company? Is this even possible?

Background: I work for a large (innovator) biotech. We've partnered with a big pharma company over the past few years - assuming the role of a glorified contract manufacturing organization - supplying product for some of their clinical trials. We've developed a strong relationship with this company and they are now looking to contract some lab work to us. In essence, the big pharma would pay us a fixed amount (say 1 million) and we would execute the lab studies.

If we hire contractors through normal channels, my company is screening resumes from a staffing company for people who would be interested in making $25-30/hour for a few months of lab work. These contractors would need to be trained on our lab procedures, data/business systems, etc. Additionally, they may be expected to interact with our partner company. We would also have to pay the ridiculous commission to the staffing company to retain the services of these contractors.

On the other hand (in my dream world), we could leverage current full-time employees in a "contractor" capacity. Assuming the selected full-time employees were willing and capable to take on additional work: the quality of work would be much higher, the continuity of work would be better, the relationships with the partner company already exist, and my company could in all likelihood pay slightly less for significantly better work.

The issue is our HR department. For all contractors, HR requires hiring managers to go through specific temp staffing channels.

So to restate: does anyone have experience with a similar scenario? Any thoughts on how to appropriately approach our HR department with the win-win situation? Any thoughts on how to get around the HR situation?

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

If you have full time, exempt employees, just give them the additional responsibilities/work that you were giving to contractors. Maybe offer a bonus or incentive to do the extra work, but you should not need to double dip.

Think about it. These people already work for your company. There are already contracts and they get paid. You have extra work to be done. Just find a way to incentivize them (or not) to do it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Professor Tomtom posted:

I'm really stoked that this is here because I have some job questions. I've been in sales since I finished college, and my company basically turned me from someone completely green to a top 10% on my division (roughly 600 people) salesman. I made a good living as a sales person, I bought a home at a very young age and lived it up, but the constant stress eventually got to me and I asked for a way out. I made a lateral move into pre-sales support and I'm not sure if I did the right thing.

I now have a much higher base salary, but I no longer make commission, and if we assume my former sales continued at a 15%a month rate ( about what I averaged) in gross profit for my company, I basically took a 20k pay cut for my new job.

Are there any sales support folks out there who can tell me what industry standard pay/raises are like? Thanks!

I didn't see anyone else take this so I will chime in. Presales and sales are pretty different roles. Since you did the sales gig, you have the advantage of understand what sales people at your company need to be successful. If you can get on board and help the sales team sell a ton of teapots, you can do very well.

As for raises, I think industry and location have a lot to do with how that happens. I have personally given people 20k raises, but those people already made low six figures and a 10-15% raise doesn't sound the same as OMG twenty thousand loving dollars. Still really good though, and I have seen others make 20k over a couple of raises.

If you are in Presales and don't have some kind of bonus attached to sales attainment (different from straight up commission), you are doing it wrong and need to do Presales elsewhere. In my industry and location 30-40% bonus on top of a higher base than sales is typical. If you had a 30% incentive on top of your base would you still be making less money?

:siren: In other news:siren: I gave notice today and will be able to post here about my career advancement. Super excited about what I am doing next.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Figured I'd post this here since I'm at a dead end of what to do.

Got out of college roughly a year and a half ago with an accounting degree with a lovely GPA and nothing to do with that field, found insurance more interesting. Got a job with a health insurance company doing underwriting for group insurance that was in the process regionalizing all their underwriting departments and hiring fresh staff, was aiming more for property and auto but I'll take it. First year I come out swinging. I hear nothing but positive feedback from all departments and I'm more or less untouchable, excellent year end review and evaluation that I'm almost certain nobody else in the department got.

Fast forward to 2014, new manager as the interim one was from the main office and just making sure the transition is smooth. By around march there's massive turnover, everybody is getting twice the workload they usually get and I seem to be the only one who can keep up and at one point I'm about 3 days behind in terms of work, everybody else is 2 weeks behind. For about a month and a half I was waking up and wondering if that day was the day I'd just walk off the job. Things finally level out by around the midyear review, again I get really positive feedback. I ask what needs to be done to be promoted to the next level up. Manager basically says I'm more or less performing at that level and leaves it vague as to what needs to be done. Some time later I follow up with a bit more pressure and get the same answer plus "It wouldn't be fair on a national level if you get promoted so quickly", she assures me that they're talking about it and that the regional director is going to schedule a chat with me, this was around 3 weeks ago.

I'm kind of stuck with what to do to move forward, I've been knocking on other departments doors asking if they want me since around the midyear review. The answer always comes back: "You're great, but we've got somebody with more experience. We want you down the road though so keep doing what you're doing". I have a feeling there's nothing on the horizon and I'm not really getting rewarded for my efforts, I'm finding it difficult to keep putting in alot of effort when I'm being paid the same as everybody else I think are just phoning it in. It seems like my manager really isn't advocating for me and there is alot of talk but nothing to show for it. Should I go and talk to the department director?

What is your job history/career experience before this job? How I answer this might depend on your other background and experience. If you were fresh out of school and effectively have a year and a half of experience, you have some resume building to do and don't want to necessarily blow up your boss to their boss. If you have experience and background then maybe there are different levers you can pull.

Regardless it would be good if you could quantify your contributions to the business, any metrics or measurements in which you can prove you performed above level, etc. Simply stating that you did more work than your peers sounds like whinging. Stating that you did 25 widgets an hour with no errors and the benchmark for the next level is 20 sounds a lot better.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dreamer101 posted:

In search of advice any comments welcomed.
Other issues of sexual harassment has also arose from my boss. I feel obligated to report it to HR to try to improve the work environment. However, I think it will be extremely hard and they will find out that I had reported it.

Find a copy of the official HR Policy on sexual harassment and non-retaliation. Print it out. Have a discussion with HR and make sure they are aware that you know the policy.

If the policy sucks and the company won't protect you, get the gently caress out of dodge. If the policy is reasonable and protects you and prevents any kind of retaliation, it is your duty to report it. If you report it and anything further bad happens, well that's a different thread.

I have had more than one female who works for me have sexual harassment kinds of things happen (not from me of course and nobody who worked for me), and my company was awesome about handling things, but then because it was reported and the appropriate steps were taken. Heck, if it's a big company and what happened was serious or ongoing, they may very well offer to move you out of that situation and towards what you want.

But seriously, so long as there is an official policy of non retaliation you should report it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dreamer101 posted:

The company has a good ethics on non-retaliation in their policy. The policy also states that they can protect me and be anonymous in reporting. However, there is only one other lady at the office, they will know it was me. Today I reached a breaking point with my manager. He told me " I'll bend you over my knee and spank you"! He said it in front of entire office personnel as he continued to talk down to me and referring to me as his daughter. I can't handle his crude jokes anymore, he takes it to extreme measures and even the guys get annoyed with his comments. I did speak with the HR manager that is located at another location. He's taking it serious and wants to meet in person at his office.

I also spoke with a different department manager about a transfer at another location. The interview seemed to go well and I believe it would be a much better opportunity than my secretary position now just based on personal growth. Plus getting away from the harassment would be wonderful too. It seems like a perfect time where I can just transfer out of my office.

I am horrified reading this. This is so extremely serious and the HR person sure better do what's right. I know it's hard to speak up but you are doing the right thing. Even if you can transfer out, you would do your replacement a favor by making sure everything is documented and the perpetrators of the harassment are dealt with.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dreamer101 posted:

After giving my statement to HR yesterday evening, I feel so much better already. Then I came into work this morning and was bombarded with two similar actions. I wanted to slap him and leave the office. Spoke with HR and they are taking it seriously. They said not to worry about coming into work tomorrow and that they are working out a plan. I'm thinking that they will place me at another near by location temporary during the investigation or just transfer me.

Well done, very well done. Even if you don't end up staying long term at that company, you will be in a better situation for this, and have a good interview story for handling a hard situation professionally.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dreamer101 posted:

Thanks for the advice. I knew I had to do it after putting up with it my entire first year with company. Still nervous about what HR is going to do. I told them I'm at the point where I don't want to be at that office. They told me not to worry about going into work tomorrow and that they are working on a plan. I'm thinking they will place me at another location while they investigate. Better yet, it would be great if I could just transfer into the position I was looking into at the other location a little closer to my home.
I hope they take good care of placing me into something for my best interest and pay! I was getting great pay with overtime as a secretary since it's in a remote location in the oil field service industry. However, I was extremely bored doing basic paperwork and I want to progress into a career that I enjoy doing. I'm hoping this experience doesn't hold me down trying to advance.

Did things turn out okay?

1500quidporsche posted:

Super busy the past couple weeks, hope this answer isn't too late.

This is my first "Office Job", I've worked odd jobs to get through university mostly because they paid decently so my resume is admittedly bare.

I did a little bit of recon work the past week, I would definitely say that I'm getting assigned more work and getting more work done. Obviously it is only one week. am I out of line asking my manager to see some numbers of me versus people the next level up?

Don't ask for that. Ask about detailed role descriptions for your role and the job one level up. Seek out and quantify the differences. Prove that you quantifiably meet the qualifications of the job the next level up already.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

MoosetheMooche posted:

I'm not sure where to go with regard to my career. I have a BA in Music which is pretty useless given that I don't have the passion to try to make my living by performing. I am currently working as an office clerk but the chances of moving up are pretty slim. I am considering picking up a masters degree, since my BA almost looks useless on a resume it seems like it might become more worthwhile if I use my BA to access a masters program. Some possible ideas are Business of Environmental Studies, Health Administration, or Masters of IT (I don't have much programming experience but it seems like many IT jobs just involves setting up printers and getting overpaid for it). Any suggestions? Are my ideas way off base here? Can I even get into these masters programs with a Music BA? My priorities are: to move into a field that is in high demand, has good job security, and pays well. I don't care what the job is beyond that except for the fact that I'm a good writer and am good with computers but I'm not too good at math or science.

How many years of experience do you have? What do you actually enjoy doing? Are you in a metropolitan area or in a cave on June side of a mountain three hours from civilization?
Getting an advanced degree and finding a new job are also divergent paths in a lot of ways...

Right now it looks like you feel as if you are in a dead end job with a degree that may not be relevant to anything and you want something *different*. Maybe go back to school. Maybe a new job. Maybe join the peace corps. Oh but you want to have job security and make a lot of money.

Get humble. Get real. Focus on your strengths. Find a job other people maybe don't like so much, figure out how to do it really really well and get filthy stinking rich from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Dreamer101 posted:

Yes things are great now. The company transferred me to another location. I almost gave up hope on HR.. Then I found out that there were procurement investigations that came out from my HR investigation. He was fired for ethical reasons due to taking gift cards, bribes from the vendors, etc. As his secretary, I had seen many red flags with ethical issues come through just the mail and stories from other managers. The catering company was owned by his neighbor and they discovered he was getting kick backs. It was no secret about how he handled vendors and his crude sexual jokes.
Overall, I believe that the location will come together and work on improving. Right now they are struggling trying to figure out how to do the accounts payable work. He had micromanaged everything and belittled the other assistant managers.

I'm just relieved to be out of the office, MUCH more relaxed and don't have to be intimidated to speak to my boss. Now I can focus on my career path better. I'm in a materials management department as inventory/receiving keeper. It's a step up from just secretary and have a structured learning path for advancement.

Thanks for advice and support!

Posts like this are why I love this thread. Post a trip report in a few months please!