Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I thought you were using the cents as a placeholder to not reveal true salary :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ultimate Mango posted:

He's the guy keeping pirate bay afloat in the DPRK data centers.

Seems like a very successful negotiation though. $.08 difference is negligible, and if its the right job it seems reasonable.

Yeah no disrespect meant at all. I was just mega confused reading his post.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Eugh. All of those reasons you listed are why I can't quit my current job and go be a barback or barista or retail monkey even though that's all I want to do at this point.

I never thought I'd hate my job but man do I hate my loving job.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Brotein_Shake posted:

I am officialy coming to terms with the fact that I royally hosed up with my degrees the first time around in school. I did my undergrad in communication (idiot) and then a masters in a program I later found out doesn't do much to qualify for anything.

I am looking at going back but this time getting something not retarded, would either a bachelors or masters in Information Systems be valuable at all? Googling around the job growth seems alright and many job listings I have found are interested in IT skills.

No offense but going back to school after getting a bachelors and masters seems like a supreme waste of money.

For anecdotal evidence: I have an undergrad degree in journalism and I work for one of the largest aerospace companies in the world.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

THE MACHO MAN posted:

What do you do, marketing or pr for them or something?

Signed,
Person trying to get the hell out of media. Ugh.

No, it's nothing related to journalism or pr at all. Certainly, being able to put together coherent emails puts me head and shoulders above a lot of my coworkers. You'd be amazed at how far "not being terrible" gets you in the corporate world.

I help run the electrical systems lab for a certain yet-to-be-released airplane model that I won't name.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Has anyone ever applied to a job on Ebay-Classified. I found 2 listings for jobs that I definitely want. Even though they're by some recruiting firm, the ad is only 6-7 bullet points, a number, and a first name... I can also reply by email but its set up like craigslist where its an 'ebay-classified' email.

This is a shady scam right? The ad describes the exact position I want.

Yes it is a scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Are there any technical writers in the house who can give me some pointers on how to approach this:

quote:

Hi Bucket Joneses,

XXXXXXXX sent me your resume and asked me to reach out to you. Please send me a couple of writing samples. I’m most interested in technical material, but would be happy to review anything that demonstrates your ability to explain a complex topic to a sophisticated audience in the simplest way possible.

Thanks,
XXXXXX

I've never had a technical writing position so I don't want to submit something that gets me laughed out of the room for being wildly inappropriate or ridiculous. I was thinking of just writing up a lay explanation of something I know like jailbreaking or XBMC but any other opinions are certainly welcome.