Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I moved states a few years ago for a big company and didn't get diddly (and yes I did ask and was told it wasn't offered at all) :whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Hey thread, I'm wondering if y'all have any suggestions for "backup careers". I'm in my early 30's, and 100% of my job experience since 2009 has been in entertainment (game dev, comics, PA stuff on set, lifestyle brand editor, etc etc). Almost all of my friends in game dev, animation, and comics are scrambling for work right now, and I'm in a real lovely spot, so I was wondering:

2. I dropped out of undergrad my junior year to work full-time in game dev, and I'm TECHNICALLY still on a Leave of Absence. I dropped out right before "producer year" where students pitch their games to be funded & work on them for the rest of the year. Right now I'm paying my bills as a solo indie dev with an ongoing episodic indie game. Would it be completely insane to go BACK to school and use that to my advantage to secure funding for my games? Caveat: School is EXTREMELY expensive and I'd be out $60k a year in student loans.

Does every game that is pitched get funded, just with different amounts? As you more, you are certainly at an advantage when it comes to pitching and experience

Is this project your final year? It's certainly an interesting option it if directly aligns with what you want to do

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

By funded, do you get a salary? Or is it all the other costs of the game?

Personally I'm a big believer in doing things that directly align with what you want to do. The further away you get from those things, it can be hard to get back into them

If this game was successful, you could always ahem defer again?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Perhaps working in a museum or not-for-profit

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

All of the contract roles I've seen advertised recently have paid, essentially, the same hourly wage I am on - but without the benefit of annual or sick leave, all casual!

It's an obscenity cos I'd actually be happy to consider contract work but financially there seems to be no benefit